Anke
"that rump shot is just adorable"
UK SE Photographer of the Year 2009
Joined Oct 2006
30,454 posts
Royal Tunbridge Wells, UK
[MORE/SHARE]

Snydremark wrote in post #14326967external link
Huh. The images look significantly better, even if just for not being able to see the pixel boundaries, on the new one, for me. I don't see anything that looks like upscaling; small stuff IS *really* small when I pull up any page.

Strange, I have a few friends with 3s and it's all the same story. Perhaps you've got a proper one that works ;)

It's a great thing, don't get me wrong, but you know I actually preferred my 2. I'm sure I'll change my mind when the majority of apps catch up with the retina display.

Post #16, Apr 25, 2012 12:44:20

Anke
1D Mark IV | 16-35L f/2.8 II | 24-70L f/2.8 II | 70-200L f/2.8 II | 50 f/1.4 | 600EX-RT and ST-E3-RT
Join the Official POTN UK South-East Thread | Follow me on Twitterexternal link | Tunbridge Wellsexternal link | Flickrexternal link

sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)
Snydremark
Cream of the Crop
Joined Mar 2009
15,645 posts
Issaquah, WA USA
[MORE/SHARE]

Anke wrote in post #14326990external link
Strange, I have a few friends with 3s and it's all the same story. Perhaps you've got a proper one that works ;)

It's a great thing, don't get me wrong, but you know I actually preferred my 2. I'm sure I'll change my mind when the majority of apps catch up with the retina display.

Or I'm just not looking at something the way you guys are. Definitely a few apps out there showing their age when you fire 'em up on that display :p

Post #17, Apr 25, 2012 13:04:40

- Eric S.: My Birds/Wildlifeexternal link (7D MkII, 7D, 40D, Canon 10-22 f/3.5-4.5, Canon 24-105L f/4 IS, Canon 70-200L f/2.8 IS MkII, Canon 100-400L f/4.5-5.6 IS, Canon 100mm f/2.8 Macro, Tamron 18-270 DiII PZD, 580EX II)
"The easiest way to improve your photos is to adjust the loose nut between the shutter release and the ground."

RichSoansPhotos
Cream of the Crop
Joined Aug 2007
5,618 posts
London, UK
[MORE/SHARE]

woos wrote in post #14275601external link
With screen resolutions (finally!) going up again, it might be, imho ^_^, time, to think about upping the pic size limit from 1000px per size. It seems so...limiting...so...l​ast decade! :)

At work I'm stuck on an awful low rez screen, and anything much over the 1000 limit causes me to have to scroll, and I know others are probably in that same boat, but meh...it's an ancient 17" LCD. I'd gladly put up with a bit of scrolling at work if it meant a better viewing experience elsewhere.

Most extremely low end laptops and screens from the past 5 years and newer are at least 1366 px wide. Most modern desktop LCD screens are 1920x1080 or at least 1600x900 (inexpensive small ones).

Imho, should consider upping the max image rez to 1280 per side, or perhaps 1600 (but 1600 might be annoying for some laptop users). (The reason for 1280 instead of 1366 is to allow for border room in the browser).

Additional food for thought: There are plugins/styles for Chrome and Firefox to allow large images to be auto resized to fit well on pages, as well. :) (Wordpress is notorious for people complaining about large images!)

Anyway, thanks for the consideration, just a thought. =p

Jon wrote in post #14275748external link
Many people are also using smaller devices, like tablets or even their phones to browse and post here, and paying for every MB that they download. Don't forget that the advancing technology goes both ways.

I would agree with Jon, I am currently using a mobile dongle broadband, and to simply increase it just because of a monitor size going up just simply doesn't make sense at all, even if I was on fibre optic broadband, I would see no point making the site so we can see a 1000px photo, if I see a photo of a reasonable size, that is ok with me

Post #18, Apr 26, 2012 06:07:26

Bodies: Canon 50D, Canon 5DMKII
Lenses: Canon 50mm 1.8, Canon 85mm 1.8 USM,
Canon 16-35mm 2.8L USM II Canon 24-70mm 2.8L USM, Canon 70-200mm 2.8L IS USM II
Compact: Canon G12 www.richiesoansphotogr​aphy.co.ukexternal link

jm4ever
Joined Dec 2006
747 posts
Southern Ontario
[MORE/SHARE]

Curious about how the odd image I see posted is well above the 1024x1024 limit allowed. I thought the software wouldn't allow this to happen.

Post #19, Apr 26, 2012 09:58:34

tommykjensen
Cream of the Crop
Joined Mar 2004
20,891 posts
Copenhagen, Denmark.
[MORE/SHARE]

jm4ever wrote in post #14332342external link
Curious about how the odd image I see posted is well above the 1024x1024 limit allowed. I thought the software wouldn't allow this to happen.

The current software can only enforce max size on attached photos (no auto resize but not able to upload if too large). If photo is hosted elsewhere they must make sure the size is max 1024. Bigger photos is not allowed and should be linked.

Post #20, Apr 26, 2012 10:33:54

EDITING OF MY PHOTOS IS NOT ALLOWED
Best Regards Tommy
My Photosexternal link -=- about.meexternal link -=- My Facebook, if you add me please send me a pm alsoexternal link
GAPS Africa I 2007 photosexternal link -=- GAPS Africa II 2008 photosexternal link -=- GAPS Africa IV 2011 photosexternal link -=- GAPS = Great African Photo Safari

sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)
J.Litton
Goldmember
Joined Jan 2010
1,711 posts
Florida's Treasure Coast
[MORE/SHARE]

Jon wrote in post #14275748external link
Many people are also using smaller devices, like tablets or even their phones to browse and post here, and paying for every MB that they download. Don't forget that the advancing technology goes both ways.

The chance they ever cross there limits wont be determined by image sizes on here..it will be their constant streaming use of videos most likely.

Post #21, Apr 26, 2012 10:35:31

7D.17-40L.100-400L.500L
www.jlitton.comexternal link
www.facebook.com/jlitt​on.nature.photography

RichSoansPhotos
Cream of the Crop
Joined Aug 2007
5,618 posts
London, UK
[MORE/SHARE]

J.Litton wrote in post #14332527external link
The chance they ever cross there limits wont be determined by image sizes on here..it will be their constant streaming use of videos most likely.

Correct in a way, but if people keep asking for changes to the size of the image limit, it will scare away those with limited internet....not all those with limited internet are on mobile broadband, there are those with wired internet that have limits to their download

Post #22, Apr 26, 2012 18:33:27

Bodies: Canon 50D, Canon 5DMKII
Lenses: Canon 50mm 1.8, Canon 85mm 1.8 USM,
Canon 16-35mm 2.8L USM II Canon 24-70mm 2.8L USM, Canon 70-200mm 2.8L IS USM II
Compact: Canon G12 www.richiesoansphotogr​aphy.co.ukexternal link

Amamba
Goldmember
Joined Nov 2007
3,522 posts
SE MI
[MORE/SHARE]

J.Litton wrote in post #14332527external link

It depends on the plan & how often they download photos. But even with the unlimited data, the speed of download varies greatly. I use my phone probably over 50% of times I access POTN and a lot of time the connection is slow, especially from inside of buildings (e.g. my work cafeteria is in the basement 15 ft below the ground, and due to the neanderthal setup of US wireless carrier networks, the repeater signal for our company's wireless provider is interfering with my provider's already weak tower signal, so I am lucky to get 1x speed there).

Perhaps a mobile version of the site ? But that's probably too much work.

Post #23, Apr 27, 2012 07:27:12

Ex-Canon shooter. Now Sony Nex.
Life Lessons: KISS. RTFM. Don't sweat the small stuff.
My Gear Listexternal link

LIST NEARBY THREADS
1,523 views & 0 likes for this thread
Something to think about: pic size limit in posts
FORUMS Community Talk, Chatter & Official Stuff Forum Talk

NOT A MEMBER YET? CLICK HERE TO REGISTER TO FORUMS

CHANGE BODY TEXT SIZE FOR ALL THREAD PAGES