Canon Digital Photography Forums  

Go Back   Canon Digital Photography Forums > 'Sharing Knowhow' section > Talk About Photography > Still Life, B/W & Experimental Talk
Register Rules FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 8th of March 2012 (Thu)   #1
Khalid81

Default Weird Images with IR Filter. Need your help please

Hello,

I'm a new officially comer to this forum. I really need your help as I couldn't find the answer anywhere on the forums.

I was fascinated by Infrared photography and got the following equipments for this purpose:
1- Canon 7D
2- 70-200mm F4 IS USM
3- tripod
4- B+W 093 IR filter (original from Germany).

My usual settings are as follows:

1- Shutter speed 30s
2- f4
3- ISO between 400 and 800.

Now the problem is that the pictures that I get are largely dominated by a weird color different from what I see in the IR photos. I've attached herewith a sample that I got this morning (trees as I noticed that the IR effect is most of the time beautiful with trees). kindly note that I had to shrink the picture in order to be able to upload it but the idea is to show the color. this problematic color does not help me in getting the beautiful blue effect (even when I do channel mixer to swap red and blue) and I'm very disappointed :s

I do not have another camera to convert (by removing the IR blocker) and I've seen many awesome pictures on the internet taken using a filter instead of a converted camera.

Could you please help me by pointing out what is wrong in the way I take those pictures?

Many thanks
Khalid
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2460.jpg (37.9 KB, 203 views)

Last edited by Khalid81 : 8th of March 2012 (Thu) at 08:09.
Khalid81 is offline   Reply With Quote
This ad block will go away when you log in as member
Old 8th of March 2012 (Thu)   #2
Logicus

Default Re: Weird Images with IR Filter. Need your help please

set your custom white balance by shooting something green - foliage on a tree, grass, etc.. .

also, lock focus and switch to manual focus before putting on the filter.

once you get your shot ( you should have a shot that is mostly red and black), put it in Photoshop or other similar and go into the channel mixer and go to the red channel, turning red down to zero and the blue up to +100, then go into the blue channel and turn blue to zero and red to +100.

then tweek to your liking using the hue and saturation controls, etc... you can also desaturate at this point to make more interesting than average black and whites.
Logicus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th of March 2012 (Fri)   #3
Khalid81

Many Thanks Logicus.

I red the techniques you mentioned and I was doing them but I was not achieving the targeted result. I go some help from other forums and basically I was told that canon 7d is not ideal for this kind of photography and that my filter is very strong (B+W 93). so if you add a strong IR bloking sensor to a strong filter you get the result I attached in my initial message. I was told that Hoya r72 is better as weaker than the filter I'm using...but I couldn't find samples of Hoya r72 with canon 7d and producing that very beautiful blue with white trees...hence I guess the ultimate solution is to go for a canon 20D and covert it

Last edited by Khalid81 : 9th of March 2012 (Fri) at 02:35.
Khalid81 is offline   Reply With Quote
This ad block will go away when you log in as member
Old 10th of March 2012 (Sat)   #4
Logicus

Not a bad idea... I was able to get some interesting shots using the 40d with an ir720 720nm infrared filter on a 28-135mm IS. Long shots though, having not had the camera converted...

Old 19th of March 2012 (Mon)   #5
Windsun33

I may be wrong, but don't most digital cameras have a built in IR filter that cuts out all or most of the IR?

I read someplace that most cameras have to be modified to shoot IR.

I used to do a lot of IR with my old film camera, but apparently the process of hacking a DSLR to get true IR pretty much kills for anything else - not reversable.
Windsun33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th of March 2012 (Mon)   #6
theatrus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Windsun33 View Post
I may be wrong, but don't most digital cameras have a built in IR filter that cuts out all or most of the IR?

I read someplace that most cameras have to be modified to shoot IR.

I used to do a lot of IR with my old film camera, but apparently the process of hacking a DSLR to get true IR pretty much kills for anything else - not reversable.
Yes, however no filter is 100% opaque. So a multi-minute exposure will still reveal IR provided you block the physical light (though you will have some bleed of course).
Old 19th of April 2012 (Thu)   #7
NWPhil

Hi,
I tried a IR720 filter on my 5Dmk2 - non converted.
First shots did come out too dark, but then I switched to live-view, and over-exposed, which allowed me to see what I was shooting. After that I took some more shots, with the live view settings (but in normal mode, so no image on screen), and indeed I was able to see the image preview - the shots were from 5 to 25 seconds
So, will shoting in live-view harm the sensor? I am not happy yet with the results, but that can mostly blamed on my PP - still trying to figure the right way to bring the red image to a crisp B&W
If there is not a green target to adjust the WB, how can I then set it properly?
and finally, can one really get IR shots witha filter only? or I have to convert a camera and still use the filter?
Thanks

Last edited by NWPhil : 19th of April 2012 (Thu) at 09:49.
NWPhil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th of April 2012 (Thu)   #8
Logicus

Quote:
Originally Posted by NWPhil View Post
Hi,
I tried a IR720 filter on my 5Dmk2 - non converted.
First shots did come out too dark, but then I switched to live-view, and over-exposed, which allowed me to see what I was shooting. After that I took some more shots, with the live view settings (but in normal mode, so no image on screen), and indeed I was able to see the image preview - the shots were from 5 to 25 seconds
So, will shoting in live-view harm the sensor? I am not happy yet with the results, but that can mostly blamed on my PP - still trying to figure the right way to bring the red image to a crisp B&W
If there is not a green target to adjust the WB, how can I then set it properly?
and finally, can one really get IR shots witha filter only? or I have to convert a camera and still use the filter?
Thanks
Yes, you can certainly get good results without converting your camera (filter only) but keep in mind that they will be long exposures on the sunniest day - and even on the 5d2, I wouldn't go too high iso-wise or else noise really becomes an issue at such long exposures, no matter what settings you use. The images above were shot with filter-only.

The easiest way to get shots that are not blurry is to lock focus first, then put your lens in MF mode, and carefully put the filter on (don't push your lens out of focus putting the filter on). Then it will take you a few shots to see how you need to set the camera. I would stay away from shooting wide open, though, as it will exaggerate the "hot spot" you'll get in the center of your photo. Keep at about f/8 or so. You may have to use even a several minute exposure, you'll just have to trial-and-error it.