Canon Digital Photography Forums  

Go Back   Canon Digital Photography Forums > 'Sharing Knowhow' section > Presentation
Register Rules FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 28th of April 2012 (Sat)   #31
Black Mesa Images

Default Re: Show me your customized Wordpress websites!

Well I officially hate this thread..................

I've been bouncing this idea around for the last few weeks and for the last couple of hours, I've been working on my new blog site.

http://www.blackmesaimages.wordpress.com
Black Mesa Images is offline   Reply With Quote
This ad block will go away when you log in as member
Old 4th of May 2012 (Fri)   #32
Logan_from_Miami

Here's my wordpress site. I just put it up recently, so i'm still tweeking it and adding photos.
http://loganwrightphotography.com/
Old 4th of May 2012 (Fri)   #33
fotojennik

After spending hours tweaking and working on my wordpress website, I decided I don't like the limitations of having my entire site run through wordpress. Excellent. I'll still use Wordpress for my blog when I get around to that, but I think I'm going to try and do my own website with photoshop/html/css/javascript. I'll probably give up on that and just wish I paid someone else to do it for me, lol.
fotojennik is offline   Reply With Quote
This ad block will go away when you log in as member
Old 4th of May 2012 (Fri)   #34
Hikin Mike
Walkin' Like a Penguin Now!

Quote:
Originally Posted by fotojennik View Post
After spending hours tweaking and working on my wordpress website, I decided I don't like the limitations of having my entire site run through wordpress. Excellent. I'll still use Wordpress for my blog when I get around to that, but I think I'm going to try and do my own website with photoshop/html/css/javascript. I'll probably give up on that and just wish I paid someone else to do it for me, lol.
Interesting. Right now I have a custom website and a Wordpress blog. I was thinking about switching my site into a Wordpress format, but I like the flexibility that I currently have. Not that you comment cemented that, but it was nice to hear that I'm not the only one that felt that way.
Hikin Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th of May 2012 (Fri)   #35
fotojennik

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hikin Mike View Post
Interesting. Right now I have a custom website and a Wordpress blog. I was thinking about switching my site into a Wordpress format, but I like the flexibility that I currently have. Not that you comment cemented that, but it was nice to hear that I'm not the only one that felt that way.
I feel that for a photographer who doesn't know much or anything about web design, coding, etc... that perhaps a wordpress is good, in the sense that it gives them something to work with but allows a certain degree of customization. Other sites offer similar capabilities.

However, I started learning Photoshop/HTML/Design roughly 10 years ago, and more recently been learning CSS and at least the basics of utilizing outside javascripts as well. Years ago when I designed some websites for myself and a few others, I primarily started in photoshop, sliced the template, and worked with the HTML/CSS from there. I had chosen the Wordpress route to simplify things, but things ended up being not so simple because I couldn't just do whatever I want, I had to work around a number of things. Because of that, I'm going to see if I can whip something up in Photoshop with the 960 grid template and go from there.

Edit: though I will say I have been checking out zenfolio as well, it seems decent plus I like the client proofing and other features they offer.

Last edited by fotojennik : 4th of May 2012 (Fri) at 23:19.
fotojennik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th of May 2012 (Sun)   #36
osh_sekta

Aye! My web is also made on the Wordpress base. Feel free to check it out.

www.sektabrand.com

flickr | fb

Give us "Street Photography" sub-forum in P.O.T.N. !
osh_sekta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th of May 2012 (Sun)   #37
Todd Lambert
I don't like titles

Not sure what limitations you guys are referring to? I've been able to use WP to do almost anything I want to. With a decent knowledge of how WP's template system works, it can be configured to power almost any type of site imaginable. WP powers my entire site, the galleries, blog, etc.. You just use custom templates for categories, and you can have completely different layouts, look, etc.. Then you just categorize each post to put that content wherever you wish.

About the only thing I don't like WP for is e-commerce, but then again I wouldnt use any ther CMS for that role anyways. E-commerce is best left to companies that do that for a living or if you're large enough, then you'd build your own system.

Beyond that I can't think of anything else that you can't do with with Wordpress.

Sony A7R & A7S > Canon 5D3 & 5D2 | 8-15L | Nikon 14-24 | 16-35L II | 17 TS-E | 24 TS-E II | 24-105L | 24L II | 35L | 85L II | 135L
Gitzo 1544T | Gitzo 3531S | Gitzo 5562GTS | Acratech heads
Todd Lambert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th of May 2012 (Sun)   #38
Hikin Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by Todd Lambert View Post
Not sure what limitations you guys are referring to? I've been able to use WP to do almost anything I want to. With a decent knowledge of how WP's template system works, it can be configured to power almost any type of site imaginable. WP powers my entire site, the galleries, blog, etc.. You just use custom templates for categories, and you can have completely different layouts, look, etc.. Then you just categorize each post to put that content wherever you wish.

About the only thing I don't like WP for is e-commerce, but then again I wouldnt use any ther CMS for that role anyways. E-commerce is best left to companies that do that for a living or if you're large enough, then you'd build your own system.

Beyond that I can't think of anything else that you can't do with with Wordpress.
I was going to ask you about your FotoMoto experience.
Old 6th of May 2012 (Sun)   #39
Todd Lambert
I don't like titles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hikin Mike View Post
I was going to ask you about your FotoMoto experience.
So far so good. I've only started using them and I'm still trying to test their output with my desired results. Their service is great and one of better integration solutions I've found and one that requires very little work on my part. They take care of everything - womb to tomb, so to speak. Have had no customer complaints yet.

Sony A7R & A7S > Canon 5D3 & 5D2 | 8-15L | Nikon 14-24 | 16-35L II | 17 TS-E | 24 TS-E II | 24-105L | 24L II | 35L | 85L II | 135L
Gitzo 1544T | Gitzo 3531S | Gitzo 5562GTS | Acratech heads
Todd Lambert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th of May 2012 (Sun)   #40
Hikin Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by Todd Lambert View Post
So far so good. I've only started using them and I'm still trying to test their output with my desired results. Their service is great and one of better integration solutions I've found and one that requires very little work on my part. They take care of everything - womb to tomb, so to speak. Have had no customer complaints yet.
Good to know. I'm still not ready to pull the plug on my custom site and switch over to a 100% WP framework.
Old 6th of May 2012 (Sun)   #41
Mark1
Cream of the Crop

I have been working on customizing the "Prestige" theme. Its still pretty far from live. But you can see the basics on the theme preview page.

http://themeforest.net/item/prestige...s-theme/132654
Old 8th of May 2012 (Tue)   #42
Cypther

Lakyla.com

5D Mark II | EF 16-35 II f/2.8 L | EF 35 f/1.4 L | EF 85 f/1.2 II L | EF 135 f/2.0 L | 2x 600EX-RT
Cypther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th of May 2012 (Wed)   #43
johann3s

I am currently working on my wordpress website. I tried to keep it as simple as possible and focus on the images themselves. I still would like to add some details, but in its current state, including my superfancy short url it is:

jn.vg
johann3s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th of May 2012 (Wed)   #44
theague
Mr. Monkey Pants!

Quote:
Originally Posted by johann3s View Post
I am currently working on my wordpress website. I tried to keep it as simple as possible and focus on the images themselves. I still would like to add some details, but in its current state, including my superfancy short url it is:

jn.vg
Very simple. I like it. Are you using a theme for this?

theague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th of May 2012 (Wed)   #45
johann3s

Thanks! The starting point is the Constellation theme, which is more of a framework. But i did a lot of customization.
johann3s is offline   Reply With Quote