Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography
Thread started 28 Apr 2012 (Saturday) 20:33
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Sounded like a good gig until you get to the pay

jra
Cream of the Crop
6,491 posts
Joined Oct 2005
Ohio
Apr 28, 2012 20:33 |  #1

Found this posting looking for an experienced photographer. It actually sounded like it may be a pretty cool gig until you get to the compensation part. So that brought up the question in my mind, is this the going market rate for experienced photographers working as an employee for another company as a product/clothing photographer, or is this company just low balling? I'm assuming the company is providing all of the equipment although I can't say for sure.

Apparel Photographer

PHOTOGRAPHY POSITON
Online Discount Clothing Retailer seeks experienced photographer. Primarily responsible for taking photos of clothing on mannequins or stands. But, occasionally on live models. Positioning and placement of clothing is key. Accuracy, quality and attention to detail are a must as this includes taking the time to pin or fit certain styles of clothes to the appropriate mannequin. Some prep work is needed, such as steaming or accessorizing a photo to enhance the shots. Multiple shots are required of each item front, back and highlighted details. Basic photo shop experience is needed for renaming and editing photos. Basic photo techniques are used. This is a production position.
Hours 8:00 AM to 4:45 PM, Monday -- Friday. . Please forward your resume with day and evening phone numbers to arrange an interview

Compensation Rate is $10.00 per hour with proven experience

Jason
www.secondglimpse.comexternal link

sponsored links
cdifoto
Don't get pissy with me
34,039 posts
Joined Dec 2005
Apr 28, 2012 20:51 |  #2

It actually doesn't sound like difficult photography work for $10 an hour. It's not exactly a wedding. It'd be more like Sears Portrait except better pay and less screaming. When they say "experienced photographer" they don't mean Yervant.

Did you lose Digital Photo Professional (DPP)? Get it hereexternal link. Cursing at your worse-than-a-map reflector? Check out this vid!external link

JDPhotoGuy
294 posts
Joined Apr 2012
Apr 28, 2012 20:58 |  #3

They're not looking at it as a photographer. They're just looking for another assembly line worker. They're talking OOTA if ya ask me. Photoshop skills for renaming files? really? lol I'd wager if you asked what "basic photo techniques" entailed you'd get a long pause.

I'd contact them to see about getting the contract to set them up where they could pay someone the $10 an hour to fuss with the clothes and automate any PP they want. But beyond that it just sounds like a mind numbing job for mind numbing pay.

Yes, I have severe Equipment Deficiency. No, the pills don't fix it.

jra
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
6,491 posts
Joined Oct 2005
Ohio
Apr 28, 2012 21:55 |  #4

I doubt that it's a difficult job....but $10 and hour? A person can make that handing out tacos at the Taco Bell drive through window. I would hope that an "experienced photographer" would demand a higher rate of pay than that in the market place. Of course, it's hard to tell what they mean when they say "experienced photographer". On the upside, I guess it's nice that they aren't asking for a free photographer looking to build their portfolio ;)

Jason

cdifoto
Don't get pissy with me
34,039 posts
Joined Dec 2005
Apr 28, 2012 21:58 |  #5

jra wrote in post #14345804external link
I doubt that it's a difficult job....but $10 and hour? A person can make that handing out tacos at the Taco Bell drive through window. I would hope that an "experienced photographer" would demand a higher rate of pay than that in the market place. Of course, it's hard to tell what they mean when they say "experienced photographer".

Taco Bell pays $10 an hour? I thought it was more like minimum wage ($7-ish). Warehouses around here only pay about $10-12 to start and it's a lot more demanding physically. $12 is considered good starting pay here.

I think by "experienced photographer" they mean anyone who has more than zero experience. They're not expecting to hire someone who already commands high fees on their own.

Did you lose Digital Photo Professional (DPP)? Get it hereexternal link. Cursing at your worse-than-a-map reflector? Check out this vid!external link

jra
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
6,491 posts
Joined Oct 2005
Ohio
Apr 28, 2012 22:04 |  #6

cdifoto wrote in post #14345817external link
Taco Bell pays $10 an hour? I thought it was more like minimum wage ($7-ish). Warehouses around here only pay about $10-12 to start and it's a lot more demanding physically. $12 is considered good starting pay here.

I think by "experienced photographer" they mean anyone who has more than zero experience. They're not expecting to hire someone who already commands high fees on their own.

Yep...at least in my area, you can start with Taco Bell at 10 bucks an hour.....I have a family member (high schooler) who recently got hired on....that's why I used that analogy :) Of course, the area market does play a part :)

Jason

cdifoto
Don't get pissy with me
34,039 posts
Joined Dec 2005
Apr 28, 2012 22:14 |  #7

Interesting. I'd still rather shoot photos than toss tacos for $10 an hour.

brett201
85 posts
Joined Feb 2012
Apr 28, 2012 22:32 |  #8

There is a very large auto dealership here that recently advertised on Craigslist for photog to shoot cars and upload images to website. A friend of mine got an interview. $10/hr is what was offered. 30 to 40 hours per week, sometimes 40 cars per day I think is what he was told.

JDPhotoGuy
294 posts
Joined Apr 2012
Apr 28, 2012 22:52 |  #9

brett201 wrote in post #14345953external link
There is a very large auto dealership here that recently advertised on Craigslist for photog to shoot cars and upload images to website. A friend of mine got an interview. $10/hr is what was offered. 30 to 40 hours per week, sometimes 40 cars per day I think is what he was told.

That's one done from start to finish every 12 minutes.....

My question is why do people like this bother? Hand a salesman a p&s and tell them to go to town. Oh well... Makes it easier to stand out and pitch the comp. Cutting corners on advertising begs for a spanking from your competition.

AZAlphaDog
Goldmember
1,750 posts
Joined Oct 2009
Southwest
Apr 28, 2012 23:52 as a reply to JDPhotoGuy's post |  #10

The problem is we live in a "task based society"

What is the task?

To take a photograph.

Did the person take a photograph? Yes.

Task accomplished, move on to next task.

Past experience, artistic skill, photographic background, ability to make decisions, interact with the public and other staff members, showing up on time to work . . .

All those things are secondary to the "task" and don't seem to carry much weight in the decision making process, and therefore the "value" placed on the task – which in this case is $10 per hour.

Sadly, graphic design, writing and many other "creative" tasks are treated the same way in "today's" world. They have little to no value.

DOUG JAMES | PHOTO PRODUCTIONSexternal link | FACEBOOKexternal link

k-lo
Goldmember
1,316 posts
Joined Jan 2010
Lost in SN's Canon vs Nikon Thread
Apr 29, 2012 00:08 |  #11

Dang, they need more than a photographer with the list of duties. I'm all for dignity of labor but that's just exploitation.

-=Karlo=- 1D III, 5D Mark II, 17-40 4 L, 35 1.4 L 24-70 2.8 L, 135mm 2.0 L, 85mm 1.2 L II, 300mm f 2.8 L, 580EX II, and a crapload of Elinchrom Gear :cool:
View my flickr setsexternal link
Check out my Modelmayhem portexternal link
500pxexternal link

sspellman
Goldmember
1,731 posts
Joined Dec 2006
Detroit, Michigan
Apr 29, 2012 02:25 |  #12

"Experienced Photographer" and $10 an hour should never appear together. This is not a real market rate in the US.

ScottSpellmanMedia.com [photography]

Nightstalker
Goldmember
1,666 posts
Joined Feb 2007
North West UK
Apr 29, 2012 03:40 |  #13

JDPhotoGuy wrote in post #14346052external link
That's one done from start to finish every 12 minutes.....

My question is why do people like this bother? Hand a salesman a p&s and tell them to go to town. Oh well... Makes it easier to stand out and pitch the comp. Cutting corners on advertising begs for a spanking from your competition.

The reason that they want to do this is that you would be surprised at how bad most salesmen are with a p&s. Better quality images do bring more enquiries.

As for timings, I do quite a bit of this sort of work (although for significantly more than $10 per hour) and can do 20 cars in an hour with 9 images per car with good organisation.

JDPhotoGuy
294 posts
Joined Apr 2012
Apr 29, 2012 09:48 |  #14

Nightstalker wrote in post #14346784external link
The reason that they want to do this is that you would be surprised at how bad most salesmen are with a p&s. Better quality images do bring more enquiries.

As for timings, I do quite a bit of this sort of work (although for significantly more than $10 per hour) and can do 20 cars in an hour with 9 images per car with good organisation.

Oh absolutely! The turnaround wasn't what I was -_- over.. lol

Apply 12 items/hour to the $10 an hour scenario and you're getting paid $0.83 per item shot and if taking 9 pics/item you're down to $0.09 per shot. And that's before you even think about adjustments and your IMS (image management system).

^^ Is the first place my mind goes when I see things like this. It's also probably has a lot to do with why I was never happy working for someone else! lolol

Nightstalker
Goldmember
1,666 posts
Joined Feb 2007
North West UK
Apr 29, 2012 10:22 |  #15

I understand exactly what you are saying and based on any "normal" photographic scenario it just doesn't seem to make economic sense.

That said I invoiced around $75,000 last year to motor trade clients for this sort of work so it is not all bad - I am self employed however and my rates are significantly higher that $10 per hour.

sponsored links

4,167 views & 0 likes for this thread
Sounded like a good gig until you get to the pay
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.