Canon Digital Photography Forums  

Go Back   Canon Digital Photography Forums > 'Photo Sharing' section > Competitions
Register Rules FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 26th of April 2012 (Thu)   #46
Kevan
Goldmember

Default Re: Flickr Awards, Who's In?

First off, a big "thank you" to you, Steven, for feeding the photo challenge thirst. I think it's going to be quite popular. If not already.

As per skipping the judging of set of photos, it has no bearing on the topic, but simply the images presented at that time. Sometimes, sorry to say, the images just don't move me to vote and so I'd rather just move on. Category has nothing to do with it.

I'm scaling back my personal involvement as you really have to be in it in order to climb up in the ranks. I'm okay with that, it's the price for time spent.
Old 29th of April 2012 (Sun)   #47
Milutiche

Wow, the month is almost over, my wife needs me back from my computer

Sports Photos on Facebook

Rugby on P.O.T.N
Milutiche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th of April 2012 (Mon)   #48
thedigitalpro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milutiche View Post
Wow, the month is almost over, my wife needs me back from my computer
Lol. No worries. Yep this month has gone really quick. I don't think May will be so clear cut regarding winners. From what I can make out the leaders at the top are starting to run dry of photos. I will probably eat my words. I am hoping to introduce the ranking of contests by the end of May. This will mean that higher ranked members will not be able to submit photos into contests which are targetted at lower ranked members. This will give newbies a better chance of levelling up against others who are of equal level.

I hope you all can stay with us...
thedigitalpro is offline   Reply With Quote
This ad block will go away when you log in as member
Old 30th of April 2012 (Mon)   #49
katodog
Goldmember

So the leader board resets each month??

My Gear - Flickr - Facebook
Smoke Photography - Sound-Activated Paint

katodog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st of May 2012 (Tue)   #50
Milutiche

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedigitalpro View Post
Lol. No worries. Yep this month has gone really quick. I don't think May will be so clear cut regarding winners. From what I can make out the leaders at the top are starting to run dry of photos. I will probably eat my words. I am hoping to introduce the ranking of contests by the end of May. This will mean that higher ranked members will not be able to submit photos into contests which are targetted at lower ranked members. This will give newbies a better chance of levelling up against others who are of equal level.

I hope you all can stay with us...
Good ideas, and maybe think of excluding cars and flowers from the colour categories as they have there own categories, theres only so many pink flowers a man can vote on in a month

Rugby on P.O.T.N
Old 1st of May 2012 (Tue)   #51
thedigitalpro

Quote:
Originally Posted by katodog View Post
So the leader board resets each month??
Yes absolutely. At the moment this is important otherwise new members will not have anything to play for. Very soon ranked levels contests will be activated. This will mean that members who rank at a certain level will not be able to compete in contests suited for new members or lower ranked members. This will mean things will become more competitive.

Please remember that the previous months league is still accessible from the awards league screen.

Hey Kato. Would not worry too much because at time of writing you are sitting pretty at the top of the league for May...

Many thanks

Steven
Old 1st of May 2012 (Tue)   #52
thedigitalpro

Quote:
Good ideas, and maybe think of excluding cars and flowers from the colour categories as they have there own categories, theres only so many pink flowers a man can vote on in a month
Yes I realise something has got to be done about this. I will review this shortly...
Old 1st of May 2012 (Tue)   #53
Milutiche

Quote:
Yes I realise something has got to be done about this. I will review this shortly...
Not that I havn't done this myelf but I think it would get people being a bit more creative. I'm going to try for quality not quantity and see if I can get a few more showdown wins.

Rugby on P.O.T.N
Old 1st of May 2012 (Tue)   #54
katodog
Goldmember

Some of us don't shoot as broad a variety of subjects as others, we shouldn't be penalized for it. If I put a lot of car detail shots in the color categories there's a reason for it. The same reason why I put a lot of water/paint shots in other categories besides "water"...

Some of us aren't as worldly as others, we don't have the opportunity to be out shooting every subject listed in the categories, we have to work with what we have. As for being creative, I believe images speak for themselves as to creativity. I don't see many people submitting the types of shots that I do. Plus I think it says a lot that someone can go into their images and use only a small handful of subjects to cover a wide variety of categories, that right there speaks not only to creativity, but also to flexibility.

Quote:
Yes absolutely. At the moment this is important otherwise new members will not have anything to play for. Very soon ranked levels contests will be activated. This will mean that members who rank at a certain level will not be able to compete in contests suited for new members or lower ranked members. This will mean things will become more competitive.

Please remember that the previous months league is still accessible from the awards league screen.

Hey Kato. Would not worry too much because at time of writing you are sitting pretty at the top of the league for May...

Many thanks

Steven

I realized these things after I posted. Saw where I was on the board this morning, I guess I can't complain...yet.

Old 1st of May 2012 (Tue)   #55
JasonMK

Quote:
Good point, hadn't thought of that.
Old 1st of May 2012 (Tue)   #56
cgatto

Yeah I'm getting pretty sick of flowers and cars to the point now that in the colour categories I won't vote for them no matter how good they are.
Old 1st of May 2012 (Tue)   #57
cgatto

And what I mean by that is, If I see a colour category with five flowers and then something else, I'll vote for the other thing nine times out of ten
Old 1st of May 2012 (Tue)   #58
Milutiche

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgatto View Post
And what I mean by that is, If I see a colour category with five flowers and then something else, I'll vote for the other thing nine times out of ten
I couldn't agree more.

Rugby on P.O.T.N
Old 1st of May 2012 (Tue)   #59
katodog
Goldmember

So you guys bias your votes purely on subject matter, and not on the technical merits of the photo?? That kinda defeats the whole purpose of submitting photos, doesn't it? Seems to me like it ruins the point of having contests for the best photos if you're not going to vote on the best photos...

Oh, and don't look now but there's another car detail shot in a color category. Holy crap, it's the end of the world!!

Old 1st of May 2012 (Tue)   #60
katodog
Goldmember

Of course if I were you guys I'd be complaining more about the guy who keeps entering the same fruit shot, only changing the color of it to suit the contest...