Canon Digital Photography Forums  

Go Back   Canon Digital Photography Forums > 'Photo Sharing' section > Astronomy and Celestial
Register Rules FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 28th of April 2012 (Sat)   #1
NovaTJ

Default M104 The Sombrero Galaxy

I know this image is not near as nice as Megrac's from a couple days ago, but decided to post it anyway. The ED80 just doesn't have the light gathering of a medium size reflector. One hour 21 minutes of lights at 3 minute exposure, 40 darks, and forty flats. No bias or dark flats were used in the processing as they tended to create lines in the background. Comments good or bad are welcome.....Greg
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SombreroM104.jpg (60.9 KB, 296 views)
Astro-Tech 8" f/4 imaging Newtonian,Baader MPCC,Orion ED 80 APO F7.5,Skywatcher EQ-6 Pro,ASGT, Modified Canon 50D, Meade DSI Guide Camera, 8" SCT dovetail mounted relic, Criterion Dynascope RV-6, modified 300D, custom astro shed,and still just getting started!
NovaTJ is offline   Reply With Quote
This ad block will go away when you log in as member
Old 28th of April 2012 (Sat)   #2
SteveInNZ

Default Re: M104 The Sombrero Galaxy

I think that M104 is one of those things that we've seen so many good images of that we forget how small and difficult it is.
Your image desperately needs a color balance adjustment.
Old 29th of April 2012 (Sun)   #3
megrac

Yes it is a very tricky one.
Old 29th of April 2012 (Sun)   #4
NovaTJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveInNZ View Post
I think that M104 is one of those things that we've seen so many good images of that we forget how small and difficult it is.
Your image desperately needs a color balance adjustment.
Thanks Steve, here is what I had to work with. Perhaps I need to not balance, but reduce the green?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ColorBalance.JPG (147.9 KB, 248 views)
Astro-Tech 8" f/4 imaging Newtonian,Baader MPCC,Orion ED 80 APO F7.5,Skywatcher EQ-6 Pro,ASGT, Modified Canon 50D, Meade DSI Guide Camera, 8" SCT dovetail mounted relic, Criterion Dynascope RV-6, modified 300D, custom astro shed,and still just getting started!
Old 29th of April 2012 (Sun)   #5
NovaTJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by megrac View Post
Yes it is a very tricky one.
Tell me about it! This image is one of maybe a dozen attempts to get close to what I wanted. Reprocessed the stack in DSS several different ways trying 2x drizzle and 3x drizzle, bias or no bias, added 14 more darks, tried selecting only the best lights for the stack. Tricky is an understatement Raymond...

Greg
Old 3rd of May 2012 (Thu)   #6
MidnightSun

Looks pretty good just the same......
MidnightSun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th of May 2012 (Fri)   #7
NovaTJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by MidnightSun View Post
Looks pretty good just the same......
Thanks!