How come some pros can't even get the model of their camera right?

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk
Thread started 28 Apr 2012 (Saturday) 21:53   
LIST NEARBY THREADS

Foodguy
Goldmember
Joined Mar 2012
1,003 posts
Having too much fun in the studio
[MORE/SHARE]

Well, I do know the model name of my latest camera. It's a 5D Mark3. It was delivered last Friday and other than charging the battery, I haven't touched it yet...hasn't had a lens on it, hasn't had the shutter fired and I haven't even looked through the viewfinder. I'll get around to it in time but for the moment there are other priorities.

I take photographs virtually every day and have for the last 28 years or so. As much as I love what I do, it's still work and as cliche as it likely sounds, the hardware is just a tool, so I don't personally fault somebody for not knowing or caring about the specific model name...at the end of the day, I'm far more interested in looking at photographs than at cameras (as cool as they are!).

Post #16, Apr 29, 2012 12:17:43 as a reply to post 14348035

My answer for most photography questions: "it depends...'

sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)
markd61
Joined Apr 2011
26 posts
[MORE/SHARE]

As a pro and also a bit of a gear nut I do know my equipment. In the 70's I knew the specs of every lens sold at retail in the US for 35mm and most MF cameras. A fun but entirely useless exercise for a boy.
Today I use Canon 5DmkIIs but I will confess that I explore the menus only when I need to change some setting and I further admit to never having used the video features.

There are so many features on modern cameras that a working pro often will not have the time or incentive to learn in their quest to capture the image the client wants. Setting a camera to a default operating condition for the photographer ensures that errors will be minimized in the heat of a shoot.

I would imagine that so many of the features that affect the image, "art filters" etc., are things to be explored and then ignored. Operational features such as button modes etc. are set and forget.

Post #17, Apr 29, 2012 12:26:25

BreitlingFan
Goldmember
Joined Jun 2010
1,427 posts
California
[MORE/SHARE]
banned

toastyphoto wrote in post #14345798external link
I've seen a lot of professional photographers who put out some great work, but they can't even get the model of their camera right, calling it the Mark 2 Ds1, D5 Mark 2, or other crazy concoctions.

I know photography isn't about the equipment as much as it is the end results, but sheesh, wouldn't you think they could correctly recite the name of their tool?

It's probably because they're concentrating more on putting out good quality work than they are in impressing someone with what kind of camera they have...

Post #18, Apr 30, 2012 18:58:05

Gear List
"I feel bad for people who don't drink. They wake up in the morning and that's the best they're gonna' feel all day." - Dean Martin

toastyphoto
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Dec 2010
302 posts
[MORE/SHARE]

BreitlingFan wrote in post #14356132external link
It's probably because they're concentrating more on putting out good quality work than they are in impressing someone with what kind of camera they have...

I just think if you're going to post what equipment you use on your website you should get it right. In my eyes, if you can't get something like this right, you're lacking attention to detail.

Say I build houses professionally and decide to list the tools I use on my website. I think it would be inappropriate to not list the correct kind of saw for the same reason above.

I'm not saying everyone should know this stuff off the top of their head. I've been asked numerous times what the specs are on a lens I'm using when I'm shooting an event, and often times it takes me a few seconds to think about it since I'm totally concentrating on my work and not the equipment. All I'm saying is that if you're going to list it on your website you should get it right. Maybe I just have a higher standard for attention to detail.

Post #19, May 01, 2012 07:53:02

5D II | 24-70 2.8L II | 16-35 2.8L II | 70-200 2.8L IS II | 50 1.4 | 430 EX II x2 | PW ControlTL

BreitlingFan
Goldmember
Joined Jun 2010
1,427 posts
California
[MORE/SHARE]
banned

toastyphoto wrote in post #14359265external link
I just think if you're going to post what equipment you use on your website you should get it right.

Okay, well, this is the first time you've mentioned anything about any website. You said "recite".

In that case, I agree. Something like that is simple proofreading...

Post #20, May 01, 2012 09:24:39

Gear List
"I feel bad for people who don't drink. They wake up in the morning and that's the best they're gonna' feel all day." - Dean Martin

sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)
toastyphoto
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Dec 2010
302 posts
[MORE/SHARE]

BreitlingFan wrote in post #14359713external link
Okay, well, this is the first time you've mentioned anything about any website. You said "recite".

In that case, I agree. Something like that is simple proofreading...

Yeah, sorry. I guess I just forgot to add that part to my original post. I suppose I'm not much better than those photographers that aren't proofreading their model numbers ;)

Post #21, May 01, 2012 12:53:51

5D II | 24-70 2.8L II | 16-35 2.8L II | 70-200 2.8L IS II | 50 1.4 | 430 EX II x2 | PW ControlTL

airfrogusmc
I'm a chimper. There I said it...
Joined May 2007
32,493 posts
Oak Park, Illinois
[MORE/SHARE]

Because its the photograph not the tool thats important to most professionals....

In that world no one gives a rat @$$ what the image was made with.

I have been doing it full time supporting the family with it since 1986 and the tools are constantly changing especially in the last decade or so. I couldn't even tell you what most of my full time friends shoot with because its the work and the accounts they work on the really really matter. Many are still shooting large format. Some med format.

Post #22, May 01, 2012 12:59:33

ssim
POTN Landscape & Cityscape Photographer 2005
Joined Apr 2003
10,884 posts
southern Alberta, Canada
[MORE/SHARE]

toastyphoto wrote in post #14345798external link
I've seen a lot of professional photographers who put out some great work, but they can't even get the model of their camera right, calling it the Mark 2 Ds1, D5 Mark 2, or other crazy concoctions.

I know photography isn't about the equipment as much as it is the end results, but sheesh, wouldn't you think they could correctly recite the name of their tool?

This is what we have to complain about today. Why is it that we look so hard for fault in others.

Post #23, May 01, 2012 13:13:39

My life is like one big RAW file....way too much post processing needed.
Sheldon Simpson | My Galleryexternal link | My Gear updated: 20JUL12

LowriderS10
Cream of the Crop
Joined Mar 2008
10,168 posts
South Korea / Canada
[MORE/SHARE]

I'm a great teacher, but I have no idea who wrote the text books I'm teaching out of.

I used to be a top-notch reporter, but beats me if I could remember the model number of my voice recorder (even though I researched it thoroughly and bought what I deemed to be "perfect" for my needs).

When you're a professional, the equipment at hand has to simply do the job. You can be good at your job without being passionate about the tools.

Post #24, May 01, 2012 19:28:48

-=Prints For Sale at PIXELS=-external link
-=Facebook=-external link
-=Flickr=-external link

-=Gear=-

YamahaRob
Joined Dec 2009
562 posts
WI
[MORE/SHARE]

Seen a professional motorcycle racer call his bike the wrong brand before.:lol:

Post #25, May 03, 2012 02:09:05

Rob
Nikon D300
Canon AE-1P (it becomes digital when pics are scanned in with a scanner:lol:)

LIST NEARBY THREADS
1,696 views & 0 likes for this thread
How come some pros can't even get the model of their camera right?
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk

NOT A MEMBER YET? CLICK HERE TO REGISTER TO FORUMS

CHANGE BODY TEXT SIZE FOR ALL THREAD PAGES