Canon Digital Photography Forums  

Go Back   Canon Digital Photography Forums > 'Sharing Knowhow' section > Talk About Photography > General Photography Talk
Register Rules FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 29th of April 2012 (Sun)   #16
Foodguy

Default Re: How come some pros can't even get the model of their camera right?

Well, I do know the model name of my latest camera. It's a 5D Mark3. It was delivered last Friday and other than charging the battery, I haven't touched it yet...hasn't had a lens on it, hasn't had the shutter fired and I haven't even looked through the viewfinder. I'll get around to it in time but for the moment there are other priorities.

I take photographs virtually every day and have for the last 28 years or so. As much as I love what I do, it's still work and as cliche as it likely sounds, the hardware is just a tool, so I don't personally fault somebody for not knowing or caring about the specific model name...at the end of the day, I'm far more interested in looking at photographs than at cameras (as cool as they are!).
Old 29th of April 2012 (Sun)   #17
markd61

As a pro and also a bit of a gear nut I do know my equipment. In the 70's I knew the specs of every lens sold at retail in the US for 35mm and most MF cameras. A fun but entirely useless exercise for a boy.
Today I use Canon 5DmkIIs but I will confess that I explore the menus only when I need to change some setting and I further admit to never having used the video features.

There are so many features on modern cameras that a working pro often will not have the time or incentive to learn in their quest to capture the image the client wants. Setting a camera to a default operating condition for the photographer ensures that errors will be minimized in the heat of a shoot.

I would imagine that so many of the features that affect the image, "art filters" etc., are things to be explored and then ignored. Operational features such as button modes etc. are set and forget.
markd61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th of April 2012 (Mon)   #18
BreitlingFan
User is banned from forums

Quote:
Originally Posted by toastyphoto View Post
I've seen a lot of professional photographers who put out some great work, but they can't even get the model of their camera right, calling it the Mark 2 Ds1, D5 Mark 2, or other crazy concoctions.

I know photography isn't about the equipment as much as it is the end results, but sheesh, wouldn't you think they could correctly recite the name of their tool?
It's probably because they're concentrating more on putting out good quality work than they are in impressing someone with what kind of camera they have...
BreitlingFan is offline   Reply With Quote
This ad block will go away when you log in as member
Old 1st of May 2012 (Tue)   #19
toastyphoto

Quote:
Originally Posted by BreitlingFan View Post
It's probably because they're concentrating more on putting out good quality work than they are in impressing someone with what kind of camera they have...
I just think if you're going to post what equipment you use on your website you should get it right. In my eyes, if you can't get something like this right, you're lacking attention to detail.

Say I build houses professionally and decide to list the tools I use on my website. I think it would be inappropriate to not list the correct kind of saw for the same reason above.

I'm not saying everyone should know this stuff off the top of their head. I've been asked numerous times what the specs are on a lens I'm using when I'm shooting an event, and often times it takes me a few seconds to think about it since I'm totally concentrating on my work and not the equipment. All I'm saying is that if you're going to list it on your website you should get it right. Maybe I just have a higher standard for attention to detail.
Old 1st of May 2012 (Tue)   #20
BreitlingFan
User is banned from forums

Quote:
I just think if you're going to post what equipment you use on your website you should get it right.
Okay, well, this is the first time you've mentioned anything about any website. You said "recite".

In that case, I agree. Something like that is simple proofreading...
BreitlingFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st of May 2012 (Tue)   #21
toastyphoto

Quote:
Originally Posted by BreitlingFan View Post
Okay, well, this is the first time you've mentioned anything about any website. You said "recite".

In that case, I agree. Something like that is simple proofreading...
Yeah, sorry. I guess I just forgot to add that part to my original post. I suppose I'm not much better than those photographers that aren't proofreading their model numbers
Old 1st of May 2012 (Tue)   #22
airfrogusmc
I'm a chimper. There I said it...

Because its the photograph not the tool thats important to most professionals....

In that world no one gives a rat @$$ what the image was made with.

I have been doing it full time supporting the family with it since 1986 and the tools are constantly changing especially in the last decade or so. I couldn't even tell you what most of my full time friends shoot with because its the work and the accounts they work on the really really matter. Many are still shooting large format. Some med format.

Last edited by airfrogusmc : 1st of May 2012 (Tue) at 13:06.
airfrogusmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st of May 2012 (Tue)   #23
ssim
POTN Landscape & Cityscape Photographer 2005

Quote:
I've seen a lot of professional photographers who put out some great work, but they can't even get the model of their camera right, calling it the Mark 2 Ds1, D5 Mark 2, or other crazy concoctions.

I know photography isn't about the equipment as much as it is the end results, but sheesh, wouldn't you think they could correctly recite the name of their tool?
This is what we have to complain about today. Why is it that we look so hard for fault in others.

Sheldon Simpson | My Gallery | My Gear updated: 20JUL12
ssim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st of May 2012 (Tue)   #24
LowriderS10
Cream of the Crop

I'm a great teacher, but I have no idea who wrote the text books I'm teaching out of.

I used to be a top-notch reporter, but beats me if I could remember the model number of my voice recorder (even though I researched it thoroughly and bought what I deemed to be "perfect" for my needs).

When you're a professional, the equipment at hand has to simply do the job. You can be good at your job without being passionate about the tools.
LowriderS10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd of May 2012 (Thu)   #25
YamahaRob

Seen a professional motorcycle racer call his bike the wrong brand before.
YamahaRob is offline   Reply With Quote