Canon Digital Photography Forums  

Go Back   Canon Digital Photography Forums > 'Sharing Knowhow' section > The Business of Photography
Register Rules FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 29th of April 2012 (Sun)   #16
PeaceFire
Goldmember

Default Re: Sounded like a good gig until you get to the pay

Eh. I don't think it's that bad. Sounds like you go to work, shoot, and when you clock out your done. There's no take-home work, there's no marketing, no finding clients or submitting work. Just shoot and done, get a paycheck and go home. $10 seems low, but considering that may be starting wages it's not that bad. I started at $10/hour at a job not too long ago and was up to $14.50 less than a year later with performance raises. Not to mention the benefits. It adds up.
Old 29th of April 2012 (Sun)   #17
JacobPhoto

Quote:
Originally Posted by jra View Post
PHOTOGRAPHY POSITON
Online Discount Clothing Retailer seeks experienced photographer. Primarily responsible for taking photos of clothing on mannequins or stands. But, occasionally on live models. Positioning and placement of clothing is key. Accuracy, quality and attention to detail are a must as this includes taking the time to pin or fit certain styles of clothes to the appropriate mannequin. Some prep work is needed, such as steaming or accessorizing a photo to enhance the shots. Multiple shots are required of each item front, back and highlighted details. Basic photo shop experience is needed for renaming and editing photos. Basic photo techniques are used. This is a production position.
Hours 8:00 AM to 4:45 PM, Monday -- Friday. . Please forward your resume with day and evening phone numbers to arrange an interview

Compensation Rate is $10.00 per hour with proven experience
there's the problem. This is a company that is running on low overhead (online) and specializes in discount clothing (low profit margin).

At least they're putting the pay in their ad, so you can't say you don't know what you're getting into.

The worst is when people put "pay depending on experience" on a job posting and after wasting hours and hours meeting with them, they offer you pay that is hardly competitive.
Old 29th of April 2012 (Sun)   #18
roosterslayer

thats minimum wage in sf. what an insult.
Old 29th of April 2012 (Sun)   #19
kenwood33
Goldmember

I would think this job is easier than working at mcdonalds, so i can see experienced iphone cam kids applying for it.
Old 29th of April 2012 (Sun)   #20
jra
Cream of the Crop

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeaceFire View Post
Eh. I don't think it's that bad. Sounds like you go to work, shoot, and when you clock out your done. There's no take-home work, there's no marketing, no finding clients or submitting work. Just shoot and done, get a paycheck and go home. $10 seems low, but considering that may be starting wages it's not that bad. I started at $10/hour at a job not too long ago and was up to $14.50 less than a year later with performance raises. Not to mention the benefits. It adds up.
I guess much depends on the market area and personal situation. Considering that they are asking for an experienced photographer, I'm assuming that they want an actual professional who understands all of the ins, outs and tricks associated with lighting and photography.....for instance, if I saw a job asking for an experienced electrician, I doubt that they are looking for someone who has installed a few lightbulbs and maybe changed out a fixture or two in their home. That said, $10 an hour (at least around here) is not a sustainable wage for someone trying to raise a family, pay a mortgage, buy groceries and handle the bills.
From my point of view, I find it a bit insulting to request an experienced professional and then offer them a wage that makes them eligible for food stamps. I think that this posting is indicative of how good photographers have become undervalued in the market place in a lot of ways.

Last edited by jra : 29th of April 2012 (Sun) at 23:02.
jra is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 30th of April 2012 (Mon)   #21
JDPhotoGuy

Quote:
I guess much depends on the market area and personal situation. Considering that they are asking for an experienced photographer, I'm assuming that they want an actual professional who understands all of the ins, outs and tricks associated with lighting and photography.....for instance, if I saw a job asking for an experienced electrician, I doubt that they are looking for someone who has installed a few lightbulbs and maybe changed out a fixture or two in their home. That said, $10 an hour (at least around here) is not a sustainable wage for someone trying to raise a family, pay a mortgage, buy groceries and handle the bills.
From my point of view, I find it a bit insulting to request an experienced professional and then offer them a wage that makes them eligible for food stamps. I think that this posting is indicative of how good photographers have become undervalued in the market place in a lot of ways.
It's not just photographers that have become undervalued. Since the influx of jobless over the past few years companies have gotten bold to their demands of current and new employees. The premise is "Hey, there's 50 guys out there who are eating bologna sandwiches every day that can do what you do." and they know it. We're in a mad dash to the lowest common denominator. All because the people who hire know they can exploit the fact that families are struggling.
Old 30th of April 2012 (Mon)   #22
brett201

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDPhotoGuy View Post
It's not just photographers that have become undervalued. Since the influx of jobless over the past few years companies have gotten bold to their demands of current and new employees. The premise is "Hey, there's 50 guys out there who are eating bologna sandwiches every day that can do what you do." and they know it. We're in a mad dash to the lowest common denominator. All because the people who hire know they can exploit the fact that families are struggling.
it is not so much exploiting as it is not just families that are struggling. in most cases the companies have no money either. these are pretty tough times across the board.
brett201 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th of April 2012 (Mon)   #23
Littlejon Dsgn
Goldmember

Honestly $10/hr for a full time job is not that bad (again in my area any ways) and they may say they want someone experienced but that’s just to help weed out the people who apply for EVERYTHING and those that know they can do the job. Also there’s no mention about degrees or advanced education. They need someone to snap some pictures on a full time basis ... not a bad gig. Punch in, take pictures do a little pp, punch out and go home.

Now if they wanted someone freelance for that, forget about it. But it sounds like a full time job, and full time jobs pay less then freelance.

And its not just photographers, I went from a job 3 years ago making $20/hr doing engineering drawings to being unemployed when the firm closed down and every job add wanted my skills at $8-$9 an hour and there were being filled in a day or two. There were thousands just like me without a job when the market turned. I made more on unemployment then if I took a job.

Last edited by Littlejon Dsgn : 30th of April 2012 (Mon) at 11:39.
Littlejon Dsgn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th of April 2012 (Mon)   #24
JDPhotoGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by brett201 View Post
it is not so much exploiting as it is not just families that are struggling. in most cases the companies have no money either. these are pretty tough times across the board.
We disagree on this point. Are they struggling compared to 5/10 years ago? Yes. Are they struggling enough that they're down to skimping on labor and/or material costs? Not a chance in hell for the most part (exceptions being those who would be in trouble regardless of the current situation).

That's why everyone was mad about the bailouts - because of the extravagant bonuses these people were lining their pockets with. Your average company with no attachment to the community they're servicing almost always operate on the same level. If they can make enough money in 10 years to live off of, they'll sell you a product that will kill you in 20 with a smile on their face.

Honestly, there are so many expendable tiers above general wages in most companies. A company would have to be on the brink of closing the doors before it was forced to adjust there. That's why I say most of the lowballing wages you see is nothing but taking advantage of the situation.
Old 30th of April 2012 (Mon)   #25
PeaceFire
Goldmember

Quote:
First of all, this is Ohio. Not exactly a high cost of living in thoseparts. Second, of course the ad is going to say "experienced photographer", what else would it say? " Any schmo of the street with an index finger"? I've looked at many job listings that want someone with "experience" but that phrase is clearly used broadly. Do they want a professional with 10 years of eperience? No. They want a college kid who took two photography classes in school and needs a job they can have until thy find a career.
Old 30th of April 2012 (Mon)   #26
TooManyShots
Cream of the Crop

Quote:
Originally Posted by brett201 View Post

"No money?" They can start by reducing the CEO bonuses Maybe reducing the salaries of the higher ups.... Middle management and higher.
Old 30th of April 2012 (Mon)   #27
brett201

Quote:
Originally Posted by TooManyShots View Post
"No money?" They can start by reducing the CEO bonuses Maybe reducing the salaries of the higher ups.... Middle management and higher.
MOST companies in the U.S. are not that big. Not by a long shot. But I think I understand what you are saying. Same as JDPhotoguy. I am as appalled by the situation as you or him or any other sensible person. I believe we are seeing the fruits of the dark side of capitalism, which I believe is greed. I have felt this way for a very long time.

After two years of being unemployed, I found a position. So I have a job but just barely, the company has no capital to grow with. They expect miracles from me.

Anyway, I call on a lot of business owners who are from other countries, only having lived here maybe 1/3 of their middle aged llives. Comments from them reinforce my opinion about what we are experiencing right now and why so many are against capitalism.

Sorry to off like that. My point is MOST companies don't have fat cat CEOs raking in truckloads of cash. That is only the 1 percent being talked about so much lately. MOST companies have owners who are only trying to hold things together, with fewer resources at their disposal.
brett201 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd of May 2012 (Wed)   #28
RDKirk
Cream of the Crop

Quote:
Yep...at least in my area, you can start with Taco Bell at 10 bucks an hour.....I have a family member (high schooler) who recently got hired on....that's why I used that analogy Of course, the area market does play a part
Yeah, but Taco Bell won't let you have more than 20 hours a week unless you're into a leadership role.

This sounds like a full-time employee position, so that's $10 an hour plus bennies for indoor work that won't leave you smelling like grease or being cussed out by irate customers.

This is Ohio, not San Francisco, and Ohio is an economic zombie state (more jobs leaving than entering).

Quote:
Considering that they are asking for an experienced photographer, I'm assuming that they want an actual professional who understands all of the ins, outs and tricks associated with lighting and photography.
They probably don't have a clue. As Peacefire has already stated, they want someone with more than an index finger. The requirements, which they clearly stated, indicates the level of expertise they're looking for. Notice that it also includes "stylist" work that many photographers would consider beneath them.

Quote:
for instance, if I saw a job asking for an experienced electrician, I doubt that they are looking for someone who has installed a few lightbulbs and maybe changed out a fixture or two in their home.
Well, "experienced electrician" actually means something tangible. He will have to be at least a "journeyman," which is going to denote a specific minimum number of hours of experience. He may have to be licensed in that locality. There are definite expectations we can attach to "experienced electrician."

"Experienced photographer" doesn't mean much of anything tangible.

Last edited by RDKirk : 2nd of May 2012 (Wed) at 10:14.
RDKirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd of May 2012 (Wed)   #29
kouman

All i have to say is. I paid over $4000 on my camera and lens to get paid $10/hr. Sorry i'll pass. Imagine working for only 4-5 hours on this shoot, that pays for gas only. And if you are working to pay for gas only then you might as well sell your camera and get free gas for the whole year. Don't get me wrong, $10/ hour isn't bad for a job. But what job requires you to spend $4k of your own money for a tool to only make less than .002%/hr.

Feedback 2
kouman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd of May 2012 (Wed)   #30
Luckless
Goldmember

If that is what the company can afford for the job, then that is what they can pay. Don't like it? Not enough for you? Then move right along. If they can't find someone willing to fill the position to their satisfaction at that rate, then they will either raise their offer, or drop the position if they can't profit from it.

And honestly, if I was offered a job like that when I was in high school or trying to pay my way through university, I would have jumped on it. Sounds like an easy job that would pay some bills, and possibly open a few doors to move on up.