Canon Digital Photography Forums  

Go Back   Canon Digital Photography Forums > 'Sharing Knowhow' section > Talk About Photography > Urban Life & Travel Talk
Register Rules FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 20th of April 2012 (Fri)   #1
mannetti21
Goldmember

Default Any suggestions for urban candid shots?

I'm trying to start taking more pics of people, rather than still life and landscapes. Candid shots of strangers always seem to catch my attention in the lens sample threads, so that's going to be my goal tomorrow.

Problem is that I'm feeling quite awkward when the subject actually turns and sees me taking their picture. So I'm left with two options, either get comfortable or don't let them see me...

Any helpful advice/suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Flickr
mannetti21 is offline   Reply With Quote
This ad block will go away when you log in as member
Old 22nd of April 2012 (Sun)   #2
tonylong
....winded

Default Re: Any suggestions for urban candid shots?

Well, right off the bat start checking out the good Urban Candid thread:

http://photography-on-the.net/forum/....php?t=1004012

And then, if that isn't enough, the whole section is full of great street photography -- here we have Photo Sharing sections that are filled with great stuff! Not just lens archives!
Wildlife project pics here, Biking Photog shoots here, "Suburbia" project here! Mount St. Helens, Mount Hood pics here
tonylong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th of April 2012 (Tue)   #3
dgoakill

Quote:
Originally Posted by mannetti21 View Post
I'm trying to start taking more pics of people, rather than still life and landscapes. Candid shots of strangers always seem to catch my attention in the lens sample threads, so that's going to be my goal tomorrow.

Problem is that I'm feeling quite awkward when the subject actually turns and sees me taking their picture. So I'm left with two options, either get comfortable or don't let them see me...

Any helpful advice/suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
the best street photos put the viewer in the seen. wide angles and get in close, the closer the better. act like you belong and you'll be fine. It's the creeps and weirdos with long lenses that look ridiculous and stick out when shooting in the urban environment. Check out: http://streetreverbmagazine.com/
and
http://photo.net/street-documentary-photography-forum/
This ad block will go away when you log in as member
Old 25th of April 2012 (Wed)   #4
facedodge

Use your 17-55 or your 30 and shoot from the hip. It takes some practice to compose a shot blind, but it works pretty well...

here are some of my candid shots, shot from the hip with a 5D3, 35L on silent shutter. Nobody knew I even took a shot.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/11610058@N05/6903244524/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/11610058@N05/7049451859/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/11610058@N05/6903325402/
Old 25th of April 2012 (Wed)   #5
dgoakill

Amateur street photography: a beginner's guide
http://www.guardian.co.uk/artanddesi...hy-camera-club
Old 30th of April 2012 (Mon)   #6
tonylong
....winded

A lot is just getting out to shoot! At first, you are awkward, just do what you are OK with, but as you go your "comfort zone" does grow.

Yesterday some of had a POTN meetup in the downtown area of Portland, OR, several of whom had never done "Street" photography, but we came back with a whole lot of shots, and are still processing and posting them:

http://photography-on-the.net/forum/....php?t=1179171
Wildlife project pics here, Biking Photog shoots here, "Suburbia" project here! Mount St. Helens, Mount Hood pics here
tonylong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th of April 2012 (Mon)   #7
birderman

Not so much a suggestion but a comment based on my experience....in days of film when I was young I used to do a fare amount of candid street photography, these days I think I would think twice before taking some of the shots that I did back then. Probably being older and wiser I am more aware of respecting others privacy and also concerned that some may take offence too far leading to unwanted confrontation. Taking shots of attractive girls/ladies in public places also seems to have the effect these days of labelling one a pervert....

Recently I was going through some of my old pictures for scanning and its amazing to see the evil looks some of the people were giving me in the candid shots, even those that were not the main subject. Brings to mind the old saying that 'If looks could kill then..........' I think the easiest situation for candid shots is at special events where crowds are gathered as amongs the crowds of others with cameras you are less likely to be noticed.

my photos on Flickr
my Facebook - KishWphotos
birderman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd of May 2012 (Wed)   #8
x_tan
Cream of the Crop

Use your 70-200 @ 200
x_tan is offline   Reply With Quote