Canon Digital Photography Forums  

Go Back   Canon Digital Photography Forums > 'Sharing Knowhow' section > Talk About Photography > Astronomy and Celestial Talk
Register Rules FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 2nd of May 2012 (Wed)   #1
I DREAD ME

Default May 20th Solar Eclipse - Where will you Be

I am going to Bryce Canyon Utah. I should be able to get a nice view from there. I have been there before and I think I know a great spot.

See link of Google Maps and Solar Eclipse Paths

http://eclipse.gsfc.nasa.gov/SEgoogl...20Agoogle.html

I am going to try and get an HDR of the eclipse with the canyon in the background. (I don't even know if that's possible)

I have seen some incredible "Ring of Fire" pictures and I have an idea of what I want but don't know if it's possible.

Does anyone have any pointers you would like to share?

1DX** 5D2 ** 5D3 ** G1X ** 50mm 1.2L ** 14mm2.8L II ** 24-70mm 2.8L II ** 70-200mm 2.8L II ** 100mm macro 2.8 L IS ** 400mm 2.8 L II** 8-15mm f/4L Fisheye ** Aquatica 5D2 underwater housing
I DREAD ME is offline   Reply With Quote
This ad block will go away when you log in as member
Old 3rd of May 2012 (Thu)   #2
hollis_f
Cream of the Crop

Default Re: May 20th Solar Eclipse - Where will you Be

Quote:
Originally Posted by I DREAD ME View Post
Does anyone have any pointers you would like to share?
Yes. Do not try to shoot the eclipse without a proper filter. Ordinary ND filters are not good for this. While you can use them to block the visible light most of them will still let a lot of IR through - enough to fry your retina.

Quote:
Originally Posted by I DREAD ME View Post
I am going to try and get an HDR of the eclipse with the canyon in the background. (I don't even know if that's possible)
The Sun (and Moon) are very small (in terms of angular dimensions). Hold a dime at arm's lenght - that's a bit bigger than the sun's disc. In a wide-angle lens (such as one would normally use for a landscape) the Sun/Moon will be a near-invisible dot.
hollis_f is online now   Reply With Quote