FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Astronomy & Celestial Talk
Thread started 02 May 2012 (Wednesday) 18:58   
LIST NEARBY THREADS

I ­ DREAD ­ ME
Joined Nov 2007
242 posts
Surf City
[MORE/SHARE]

I am going to Bryce Canyon Utah. I should be able to get a nice view from there. I have been there before and I think I know a great spot.

See link of Google Maps and Solar Eclipse Paths

http://eclipse.gsfc.na​sa.gov ...1/SE2012May20Agoogl​e.htmlexternal link

I am going to try and get an HDR of the eclipse with the canyon in the background. (I don't even know if that's possible)

I have seen some incredible "Ring of Fire" pictures and I have an idea of what I want but don't know if it's possible.

Does anyone have any pointers you would like to share?

Post #1, May 02, 2012 18:58:13

Leonard

1DX** 5D2 ** 5D3 ** G1X ** 50mm 1.2L ** 14mm2.8L II ** 24-70mm 2.8L II ** 70-200mm 2.8L II ** 100mm macro 2.8 L IS ** 400mm 2.8 L II** 8-15mm f/4L Fisheye ** Aquatica 5D2 underwater housing

sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)
hollis_f
Cream of the Crop
Joined Jul 2007
10,420 posts
Sussex, UK
[MORE/SHARE]

I DREAD ME wrote in post #14369199external link
Does anyone have any pointers you would like to share?

Yes. Do not try to shoot the eclipse without a proper filter. Ordinary ND filters are not good for this. While you can use them to block the visible light most of them will still let a lot of IR through - enough to fry your retina.

I DREAD ME wrote in post #14369199external link
I am going to try and get an HDR of the eclipse with the canyon in the background. (I don't even know if that's possible)

The Sun (and Moon) are very small (in terms of angular dimensions). Hold a dime at arm's lenght - that's a bit bigger than the sun's disc. In a wide-angle lens (such as one would normally use for a landscape) the Sun/Moon will be a near-invisible dot.

Post #2, May 03, 2012 08:21:50

Frank Hollis - Retired mass spectroscopist
Give a man a fish and he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to fish and he'll complain about the withdrawal of his free fish entitlement.
Gear Websiteexternal link

LIST NEARBY THREADS
707 views & 0 likes for this thread
May 20th Solar Eclipse - Where will you Be
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Astronomy & Celestial Talk

NOT A MEMBER YET? CLICK HERE TO REGISTER TO FORUMS

CHANGE BODY TEXT SIZE FOR ALL THREAD PAGES