Canon Digital Photography Forums  

Go Back   Canon Digital Photography Forums > 'Sharing Knowhow' section > RAW, Post Processing and Printing > Computers
Register Rules FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 2nd of May 2012 (Wed)   #1
chauncey
Cream of the Crop

Default OT...Tablet suggestions

I want a handheld device of any kind for educational apps (reading, math, etc.) for my children, will be used by 4 young teen children of differing abilities, must have audio as well as visual and be durable.
I'm thinking something in the 10-12 inch size and have a touch screen, will be adding Gorilla glass. Budget is irrelevant but versatility is important.

My stuff...http://1x.com/member/chauncey43
chauncey is offline   Reply With Quote
This ad block will go away when you log in as member
Old 2nd of May 2012 (Wed)   #2
MaxxuM
Goldmember

Default Re: OT...Tablet suggestions

The iPad is going to be the #1 tablet for a while. You cannot go wrong getting one. Just about every app that comes out does so on the iPad first. If you're not into Apple, then the only real Android choice in the 10"+ market is the Asus Transformer Prime. Nothing else comes close. The problem with Android though is there is no dedicated tablet app section. All you get is Editors Choice so if it isn't on that list good luck figuring out if the app has been optimized for tablets. 90% of Android apps are designed for the phone market so you'll have to get used to stretched/warped graphics, if it even works at all. Many phone apps just crash or hang on tablets. I know this because I own a Transformer Prime as well as an iPad.

If you want stability, choice of apps and true tablet optimization go with an iPad. If you want a lot of control of your tablet (folder, settings, etc) and don't mind fewer apps and sometimes flaky software performance, then get the Asus Transformer Prime. IMO those are the only premium choices out there right now. If you want a budget device, there's Kindle, the Nook or one of the other mid-sized tablets.
Old 2nd of May 2012 (Wed)   #3
chauncey
Cream of the Crop

That's kinda what I figured but I wanted to check with you guys...thanks.

This ad block will go away when you log in as member
Old 2nd of May 2012 (Wed)   #4
imsellingmyfoot

The Pantech Element was made to be durable. At the least check it out and see if its what you want.

iPads are nice and they will probably fit your bill.

Most of the android tablets are nice too. Most of the ones from the big name manufacturers have Gorilla Glass, and they've been upping the build quality with the second generation tablets coming out this year. I've got a toshiba Thrive, but I wouldn't really recommend that for your purposes. Motorola Xoom or Xyboard are supposed to be pretty durable and well rounded.

I also remember seeing a wireless provider advertisment (can't remember which one) for a tablet that was marketed towards kids. It was supposed to be waterproof and drop proof etc, but I can't remember the provider or the company. I think it may have been the Pantech I mentioned earlier, but I'm not sure.

Hope some of this was at least a little helpful.
Old 2nd of May 2012 (Wed)   #5
highergr0und

Just get an ipad...... If not for the ease of use, get it for the fact that pretty much all educational apps and tools are being built for it.

I really want to find an android tablet that does it all, but none of them are really designed for kids
Old 2nd of May 2012 (Wed)   #6
S.n.a.f.u.
Goldmember

i would look at the kindle fire it isn't as big as the iPad but every bit as functional and for the price of one iPad you can pick up 3 fires.
Time is a great teacher. Unfortunately it kills all pupils
-Louis Hector Berlioz

Last edited by S.n.a.f.u. : 2nd of May 2012 (Wed) at 20:24.
S.n.a.f.u. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd of May 2012 (Thu)   #7
zrock

When/if you put a screen protector on it. Do yourself a favor and read reviews or get some feedback. I put a screen protector on my tablet and it really took away from photo's. This screen protector is sorta a matt finish. Unlike my blackberry screen protector that is a gloss and still looks good on or off
430EX II
zrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd of May 2012 (Thu)   #8
rick_reno
Cream of the Crop

IPad has 68% of the market, there is a reason for this.
rick_reno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th of May 2012 (Fri)   #9
isoMorphic
Goldmember

I would wait for the Samsung Galaxy Note Pad and see where that goes. The only reason iPad has remained on top is because so many already had the iPhone. Now that tablets are starting to mature a bit and so many already have one there is only so much more Apple can do to maintain sales. I think Samsung with it's up and coming Galaxy S3 could actually steal the iPhone crown away.

http://macdailynews.com/2012/04/27/a...ellphone-lead/
isoMorphic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th of May 2012 (Fri)   #10
chauncey
Cream of the Crop

Quote:
I would wait for the Samsung Galaxy Note Pad and see where that goes
There's no question that I have a bias against all things Apple but...does/will it have the shear volume of educational Apps that the IPad has?

Old 4th of May 2012 (Fri)   #11
isoMorphic
Goldmember

Quote:
Originally Posted by chauncey View Post
There's no question that I have a bias against all things Apple but...does/will it have the shear volume of educational Apps that the IPad has?
Most of the bigger developers are building on both platforms. I never have and never will use iTunes so i can't say who has more. You can take a look at the Educational apps listed in google Play for which there seems to be hundreds.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/c...e=category-nav
Old 4th of May 2012 (Fri)   #12
hollis_f
Cream of the Crop

The range of apps for Android tablets (i.e., not phone-sized apps that have simply been resized for the tablet screen) is miniscule compared to apps that take full advantage of the iPad's screen.
hollis_f is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th of May 2012 (Sat)   #13
rick_reno
Cream of the Crop

Quote:
Originally Posted by hollis_f View Post
The range of apps for Android tablets (i.e., not phone-sized apps that have simply been resized for the tablet screen) is miniscule compared to apps that take full advantage of the iPad's screen.
Yep, my son was writing apps for Android - he had the 7th best selling app in their store, made a nice bundle of cash with it. He gave up, said the store management is so bad he won't have anything to do with them in the future.
rick_reno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th of May 2012 (Sun)   #14
isoMorphic
Goldmember

Quote:
Originally Posted by rick_reno View Post
He gave up, said the store management is so bad he won't have anything to do with them in the future.
LOL WUT?

Wonder if you actually have a clue how bad the majority of independent iOS developers are doing when it comes to ROI. Considering most big projects (especially games) are now being sourced to developers in India who work for pennies on the dollar. Which in turn means that most of the apps being pushed out are poorly made or have really terrible GUI's.

And what was the app your son made since none of the top paid apps are made by solo developers?

Sure iOS has more fluff but the majority of whats in both markets is total crap designed to spin the download counter. More crap in yields the same percentage of crap out but at least Google is not run by a company full of prudes who don't even believe in basic personal freedom or consumer choice.