Thread started 02 May 2012 (Wednesday) 10:09   
LIST NEARBY THREADS

chauncey
Cream of the Crop
Joined Jun 2007
8,467 posts
MI/CO
[MORE/SHARE]

I want a handheld device of any kind for educational apps (reading, math, etc.) for my children, will be used by 4 young teen children of differing abilities, must have audio as well as visual and be durable.
I'm thinking something in the 10-12 inch size and have a touch screen, will be adding Gorilla glass. Budget is irrelevant but versatility is important. :confused:

Post #1, May 02, 2012 10:09:44

The things you do for yourself die with you, the things you do for others live forever.
A man's worth should be judged, not when he basks in the sun, but how he faces the storm.

My stuff...http://1x.com/member/c​hauncey43external link

sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)
MaxxuM
Goldmember
Joined May 2007
3,343 posts
Rio Grande Valley
[MORE/SHARE]

The iPad is going to be the #1 tablet for a while. You cannot go wrong getting one. Just about every app that comes out does so on the iPad first. If you're not into Apple, then the only real Android choice in the 10"+ market is the Asus Transformer Prime. Nothing else comes close. The problem with Android though is there is no dedicated tablet app section. All you get is Editors Choice so if it isn't on that list good luck figuring out if the app has been optimized for tablets. 90% of Android apps are designed for the phone market so you'll have to get used to stretched/warped graphics, if it even works at all. Many phone apps just crash or hang on tablets. I know this because I own a Transformer Prime as well as an iPad.

If you want stability, choice of apps and true tablet optimization go with an iPad. If you want a lot of control of your tablet (folder, settings, etc) and don't mind fewer apps and sometimes flaky software performance, then get the Asus Transformer Prime. IMO those are the only premium choices out there right now. If you want a budget device, there's Kindle, the Nook or one of the other mid-sized tablets.

Post #2, May 02, 2012 16:05:26

Canon 7D & 60D With Grip's
Canon: EF-S 17-55 F2.8 IS, EF 70-200L F4 IS, EF 85mm F1.8
HOYA PRO1 MC UV Review | Lens Glossary of Terms
Feedback

chauncey
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
Joined Jun 2007
8,467 posts
MI/CO
[MORE/SHARE]

That's kinda what I figured but I wanted to check with you guys...thanks. ;)

Post #3, May 02, 2012 16:51:25 as a reply to MaxxuM's post 45 minutes earlier.

The things you do for yourself die with you, the things you do for others live forever.
A man's worth should be judged, not when he basks in the sun, but how he faces the storm.

imsellingmyfoot
Joined Apr 2011
918 posts
Dallas, TX
[MORE/SHARE]

The Pantech Element was made to be durable. At the least check it out and see if its what you want.

iPads are nice and they will probably fit your bill.

Most of the android tablets are nice too. Most of the ones from the big name manufacturers have Gorilla Glass, and they've been upping the build quality with the second generation tablets coming out this year. I've got a toshiba Thrive, but I wouldn't really recommend that for your purposes. Motorola Xoom or Xyboard are supposed to be pretty durable and well rounded.

I also remember seeing a wireless provider advertisment (can't remember which one) for a tablet that was marketed towards kids. It was supposed to be waterproof and drop proof etc, but I can't remember the provider or the company. I think it may have been the Pantech I mentioned earlier, but I'm not sure.

Hope some of this was at least a little helpful.

Post #4, May 02, 2012 20:01:49

Ben | Galleryexternal link| Gear

highergr0und
Joined Aug 2011
545 posts
[MORE/SHARE]

Just get an ipad...... If not for the ease of use, get it for the fact that pretty much all educational apps and tools are being built for it.

I really want to find an android tablet that does it all, but none of them are really designed for kids

Post #5, May 02, 2012 20:18:15

T3i, Sigma 10-20, Sigma 30 1.4, 18-55 kit, 55-250, YN-565, a few books, some software, and a desire to get good.....

sponsored links
S.n.a.f.u.
Goldmember
Joined Jul 2009
2,768 posts
by a river in southern colorado
[MORE/SHARE]

i would look at the kindle fire it isn't as big as the iPad but every bit as functional and for the price of one iPad you can pick up 3 fires.

Post #6, May 02, 2012 20:19:59

I'm Russ. Gear List
Life is too short to drink bad wine
-ching chai
Time is a great teacher. Unfortunately it kills all pupils
-Louis Hector Berlioz

zrock
Joined Oct 2010
191 posts
[MORE/SHARE]

When/if you put a screen protector on it. Do yourself a favor and read reviews or get some feedback. I put a screen protector on my tablet and it really took away from photo's. This screen protector is sorta a matt finish. Unlike my blackberry screen protector that is a gloss and still looks good on or off

Post #7, May 03, 2012 09:49:34

Canon T1i
EFS 18-55mm
EFS 55-250mm
430EX II

rick_reno
Cream of the Crop
Joined Dec 2010
44,434 posts
[MORE/SHARE]

IPad has 68% of the market, there is a reason for this.

Post #8, May 03, 2012 23:42:07

isoMorphic
Goldmember
Joined May 2008
2,090 posts
[MORE/SHARE]

I would wait for the Samsung Galaxy Note Pad and see where that goes. The only reason iPad has remained on top is because so many already had the iPhone. Now that tablets are starting to mature a bit and so many already have one there is only so much more Apple can do to maintain sales. I think Samsung with it's up and coming Galaxy S3 could actually steal the iPhone crown away.

http://macdailynews.co​m ...nokia-for-cellphone-lead/external link

Post #9, May 04, 2012 05:39:16

chauncey
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
Joined Jun 2007
8,467 posts
MI/CO
[MORE/SHARE]

I would wait for the Samsung Galaxy Note Pad and see where that goes

There's no question that I have a bias against all things Apple but...does/will it have the shear volume of educational Apps that the IPad has?

Post #10, May 04, 2012 05:43:37 as a reply to isoMorphic's post 4 minutes earlier.

isoMorphic
Goldmember
Joined May 2008
2,090 posts
[MORE/SHARE]

chauncey wrote in post #14377656external link
There's no question that I have a bias against all things Apple but...does/will it have the shear volume of educational Apps that the IPad has?

Most of the bigger developers are building on both platforms. I never have and never will use iTunes so i can't say who has more. You can take a look at the Educational apps listed in google Play for which there seems to be hundreds.

https://play.google.co​m ...TION?feature=catego​ry-navexternal link

Post #11, May 04, 2012 05:50:59

sponsored links
hollis_f
Cream of the Crop
Joined Jul 2007
10,419 posts
Sussex, UK
[MORE/SHARE]

The range of apps for Android tablets (i.e., not phone-sized apps that have simply been resized for the tablet screen) is miniscule compared to apps that take full advantage of the iPad's screen.

Post #12, May 04, 2012 06:57:42

Frank Hollis - Retired mass spectroscopist
Give a man a fish and he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to fish and he'll complain about the withdrawal of his free fish entitlement.
Gear Websiteexternal link

rick_reno
Cream of the Crop
Joined Dec 2010
44,434 posts
[MORE/SHARE]

hollis_f wrote in post #14377813external link
The range of apps for Android tablets (i.e., not phone-sized apps that have simply been resized for the tablet screen) is miniscule compared to apps that take full advantage of the iPad's screen.

Yep, my son was writing apps for Android - he had the 7th best selling app in their store, made a nice bundle of cash with it. He gave up, said the store management is so bad he won't have anything to do with them in the future.

Post #13, May 05, 2012 11:16:43

isoMorphic
Goldmember
Joined May 2008
2,090 posts
[MORE/SHARE]

rick_reno wrote in post #14383590external link
He gave up, said the store management is so bad he won't have anything to do with them in the future.

LOL WUT?

Wonder if you actually have a clue how bad the majority of independent iOS developers are doing when it comes to ROI. Considering most big projects (especially games) are now being sourced to developers in India who work for pennies on the dollar. Which in turn means that most of the apps being pushed out are poorly made or have really terrible GUI's.

And what was the app your son made since none of the top paid apps are made by solo developers?

Sure iOS has more fluff but the majority of whats in both markets is total crap designed to spin the download counter. More crap in yields the same percentage of crap out but at least Google is not run by a company full of prudes who don't even believe in basic personal freedom or consumer choice.

Post #14, May 06, 2012 21:01:10

LIST NEARBY THREADS
729 views & 0 likes for this thread
OT...Tablet suggestions
FORUMS General Gear Talk Computers

NOT A MEMBER YET? CLICK HERE TO REGISTER TO FORUMS

CHANGE BODY TEXT SIZE FOR ALL THREAD PAGES