Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment People
Thread started 09 Aug 2010 (Monday) 09:28
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

STICKY: How to photograph a high school Senior

this thread is locked
Dave ­ Jr
Goldmember
1,873 posts
Joined Oct 2006
MN
May 04, 2012 12:59 |  #7591

Hi Tiff, good to see you back.

Dave Jr - MN
5external linkpx | Gear

sponsored links
bedojo
Goldmember
1,301 posts
Joined Jun 2010
portland oregon
May 04, 2012 14:23 |  #7592

sevillafox wrote in post #14376619 (external link)
Lauren

NOT FOUND IMAGE IS A REDIRECT OR MISSING!
HTTP response: 404 | MIME changed to 'text/html' | Byte size: ZERO

someones been busy!!!
I like this one! my fav :D !

follow me 500pxexternal link || Facebook Pageexternal link || Flickrexternal link || Website & Blogexternal link ||Feedback: 1 2
Gear: Fujifilm X-Pro 1 || 18mm f2.0 || 35mm f1.4 || 60mm f2.4 || AB800 || YN560 || Gordy Wrist Strap || Billingham Hadley Pro ||

cbknight
Goldmember
1,766 posts
Joined Aug 2009
East Texas
May 04, 2012 15:26 |  #7593

shankarhokie wrote in post #14379285external link
Hey Tiffany:

I have CS5. If I want to get a plugin to make my skin/eye/teeth processing simpler, and want to spend ~$50, what would you suggest?

Portrait professional?
MCP eye doctor?

others?

(Other experts can chime in as well)

I use Portrait Professional 10. I love it. I use it on number 3 setting of 10 and it does an amazing job. I dialed back some things and dialed up the others. Anything needing more attention I will use healing or clone brush. Clients love the way their skin looks and have been accused of too much skin work by the POTN.....It's just the way I do it....I have tested the waters with our senior reps. Not using PP10 on some images and using it with others. They always prefer when I use it. Their parents do too. They are who I listen to although I respect the POTN's opinion....I just don't base my business decisions on it.

Craig
4K Photography Studio
[/URL]

Dave ­ Jr
Goldmember
1,873 posts
Joined Oct 2006
MN
May 04, 2012 16:12 |  #7594

Craig, I use PP10 as well, I think it does the best job of the boxed skin programs that I've tried (Portraiture, onOne). It takes a little longer to set the mask at the beginning, but then it's perfect, it is does a better job of evening out the skin tone. With Protraiture and onOne I usually had to fix the masks anyway. The only thing I don't like is that if you want to change something, you have to repeat the initial mask selection.

Dave Jr - MN
5external linkpx | Gear

cbknight
Goldmember
1,766 posts
Joined Aug 2009
East Texas
May 04, 2012 16:36 |  #7595

Dave Jr wrote in post #14380343external link
Craig, I use PP10 as well, I think it does the best job of the boxed skin programs that I've tried (Portraiture, onOne). It takes a little longer to set the mask at the beginning, but then it's perfect, it is does a better job of evening out the skin tone. With Protraiture and onOne I usually had to fix the masks anyway. The only thing I don't like is that if you want to change something, you have to repeat the initial mask selection.

Guess I don't know what you mean by "change something". I mask once and then use the controls on left to adjust sliders if ever needed. It does take time to do the initial mask....but I have gotten blazing fast at it compared to where I was at the beginning. lol. It takes time after the initial work it does to select the rest of the skin other than face and neck, but it is worth it to even skin tones.

Craig
4K Photography Studio
[/URL]

umphotography
THREAD ­ STARTER
grabbing their Johnson
Joined Oct 2007
Gig Harbor, Washington
May 04, 2012 16:53 as a reply to cbknight's post |  #7596

Portraiture is working for me at about 60-65%. I dont use the presets at all. Im moving the boxes and slider to get an individual look for each person and brushing it in at no more that 65%. Im getting these results

IMAGE: http://i195.photobucket.com/albums/z19/karenbaby12/IMG_7777.jpg

IMAGE: http://i195.photobucket.com/albums/z19/karenbaby12/IMG_0557-Edit.jpg

Mike
www.umphotography.comexternal link
GEAR LIST
Facebookexternal link

shankarhokie
Goldmember
1,894 posts
Joined Apr 2010
Saline, Michigan
May 04, 2012 16:54 |  #7597

cbknight wrote in post #14380107external link
I use Portrait Professional 10. I love it. I use it on number 3 setting of 10 and it does an amazing job. I dialed back some things and dialed up the others. Anything needing more attention I will use healing or clone brush. Clients love the way their skin looks and have been accused of too much skin work by the POTN.....It's just the way I do it....I have tested the waters with our senior reps. Not using PP10 on some images and using it with others. They always prefer when I use it. Their parents do too. They are who I listen to although I respect the POTN's opinion....I just don't base my business decisions on it.

Thanks! I will give it a whirl....

Shankar
Perpetual learner.
FLICKRexternal link -- Gear-- Facebookexternal link

Dave ­ Jr
Goldmember
1,873 posts
Joined Oct 2006
MN
May 04, 2012 17:01 |  #7598

cbknight wrote in post #14380454external link
Guess I don't know what you mean by "change something". I mask once and then use the controls on left to adjust sliders if ever needed. It does take time to do the initial mask....but I have gotten blazing fast at it compared to where I was at the beginning. lol. It takes time after the initial work it does to select the rest of the skin other than face and neck, but it is worth it to even skin tones.

I just mean that once you save it back to CS5, if you messed something up and want to change it (skin tone, for example), you have to start over in PP10. It would be nice if the mask could be saved. I always create a dup layer on CS5 that I use for PP10, so I can dial down the opacity, etc...but I wish you could just go back and tweak the settings.

Dave Jr - MN
5external linkpx | Gear

bedojo
Goldmember
1,301 posts
Joined Jun 2010
portland oregon
May 04, 2012 17:24 |  #7599

Hey Tiffany:

I have CS5. If I want to get a plugin to make my skin/eye/teeth processing simpler, and want to spend ~$50, what would you suggest?

Portrait professional?
MCP eye doctor?

others?

Skin isn't that hard to edit, honestly just leave in natural and heal brush out pimples / scares.
If absolutely need something try portraiture, it can be over done (but imo, its better then PP)
only you can decide tho. PP tends to give the doll effect, (i know i know some people say you have to dial it in right, but really it still gives the doll effect, saturated eyes, super white eyes and teeth, plastic skin. its great! )

for me one every day joe client shoots
my work flow
1. get it right in camera
2. basic changes if i got it wrong in camera in lightroom, apply white balance / custom profile tweaks
3a. send it to photoshop, (if skin needs help)
3b. if few pimples just use lr heal brush
4. in photoshop use healing brush
5. if lighting is crappy as a result of not getting it right in the first place, run portraiture,
6. portraiture set up to retain details but smooth transitions in tones, aka quick and easy dodge and burn.
7. eyes -> simple curve or lightroom brush adjustment
8. finishing touches, either a black and white with Nik, or a modified action i made for the way i like editing.

actions and presets are great! just running it out of the box aren't so great, modify them to your liking :)

peoples skin is naturally smooth, many out of the box solutions just smooth it unnaturally and you get the Mattel effect
http://www.youtube.com ...er_embedded&v=2x7Oo​ioUsAoexternal link

I think both offer a free trial, try them both and see

I would personally stay away from PP, I don't like to call anyone out on it b/c honestly i don't care if they use it, if its what their clients like :S

follow me 500pxexternal link || Facebook Pageexternal link || Flickrexternal link || Website & Blogexternal link ||Feedback: 1 2
Gear: Fujifilm X-Pro 1 || 18mm f2.0 || 35mm f1.4 || 60mm f2.4 || AB800 || YN560 || Gordy Wrist Strap || Billingham Hadley Pro ||

GerryDavid
Goldmember
1,799 posts
Joined Mar 2005
May 04, 2012 18:59 |  #7600

shankarhokie wrote in post #14379270external link
You are just too mean..

I thought about teasing her about the same thing but then thought I better not. :D

Canon investor

sevillafox
I'm good with pathetic! Really, I am.
25,190 posts
Joined Oct 2007
Southwest Wisconsin
May 04, 2012 19:27 as a reply to Dave Jr's post |  #7601

cbknight wrote in post #14377124external link
1st seems slightly underexposed to me. Great colors.

Maybe is a touch. I thought it when I was posting it but I knew she wanted to look more tan and that's an easy way to do it.

GerryDavid wrote in post #14378280external link
Interesting background, did you attach sequins to the wall or is it a backdrop? But then again the baseboard is in focus, so im thinking its either photoshop or a drop, hmm.

shankarhokie wrote in post #14378303external link
I think it is the same Denny backdrop that Mike uses, or it could be the Purple/pink sequin drop from JoAnn she had used earler

It is silverstar.external link

Hey Tiffany:

Portrait professional?
MCP eye doctor?

others?

I heart the mcp eye doctor. Her skin retouching action isn't too bad either...portraiture just runs faster.

umphotography wrote in post #14379289external link
Chet and Tiffy have a love hate relationship

Chet loves tiff and tiffy hates chet :lol::lol::lol:

bw!

Tiffany
hopeless smooshoholic......I smoosh!

jsvphoto
789 posts
Joined Aug 2008
Great Falls, Montana
May 04, 2012 19:27 |  #7602

sevillafox wrote in post #14376845external link
It's part of the studio. Just plain brick paneling from menards. I slapped a bunch of spackle on it to give it some texture, painted it white, and used a dremel tool to bring up the texture on the brick "edges." It was a cheap and easy drop and a great way to cover up the hole from where the window used to be in the studio wall. :lol:

In that case, nice work. Turned out very convincing.

Canon 7D Gripped; Canon 7D ii Gripped; Canon 17-55 f/2.8 IS USM; Canon 70-200 f/2.8 L; Canon TS-E 24 f/3.5 L; Sigma 85 f/1.4; Rokinon 8mm f/3.5; various lights & gizmos

5DmkX
Joined May 2012
SE Wisconsin
May 04, 2012 21:09 |  #7603

Thought I'd finally contribute one after all the lurking I've been doing! This one was from earlier today, one texture layer in PS, using the shades as a theme to carry through with the rest of her package. Used this as a "teaser" pic on her FB page, seems to be a hit with her and her mom at least.

Joe

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

5DMkIV, Canon 24-70mm f/2.8L II, Tamron SP 70-200mm f/2.8 VC G2, Tamron SP 85mm f/1.8 VC
Facebook (external link)

cbknight
Goldmember
1,766 posts
Joined Aug 2009
East Texas
May 04, 2012 23:37 |  #7604

Dave Jr wrote in post #14380546external link
I just mean that once you save it back to CS5, if you messed something up and want to change it (skin tone, for example), you have to start over in PP10. It would be nice if the mask could be saved. I always create a dup layer on CS5 that I use for PP10, so I can dial down the opacity, etc...but I wish you could just go back and tweak the settings.

Gotcha. I don't use photoshop or as a plugin so that's where you lost me. I run it and save it as a separate tiff then open it in my editing program. Probably a lot slower process than yours. It does give me the option to restart an edit without remasking I guess.

Craig
4K Photography Studio
[/URL]

USER876
Goldmember
1,616 posts
Joined Jul 2008
May 05, 2012 06:33 |  #7605

sevillafox wrote in post #14376126external link
'sup?

Welcome back! Great sets you posted, you've been busy!

sponsored links

2,436,954 views & 1 like for this thread
How to photograph a high school Senior
FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment People

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.