Canon Digital Photography Forums  

Go Back   Canon Digital Photography Forums > 'Equipment Talk' section > Canon EOS Digital Cameras
Register Rules FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 3rd of May 2012 (Thu)   #46
umphotography
Cream of the Crop

Default Re: 5D III - LCD Screen is a lier!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew_WOT View Post
I have seen that this is not recommended in a couple of digital photography books.
And here's the one straight from the horse mouth - Lexar.
http://www.lexar.com/content/lexar-memory-card-tips

Lexar is full of BS

every card mfg that i have talked to in the past 5 yrs has said....NO Problems. I would take that with a grain of salt. Its just not true
Facebook
umphotography is offline   Reply With Quote
This ad block will go away when you log in as member
Old 3rd of May 2012 (Thu)   #47
Andrew_WOT

Quote:
Originally Posted by umphotography View Post
Lexar is full of BS

every card mfg that i have talked to in the past 5 yrs has said....NO Problems. I would take that with a grain of salt. Its just not true
They are one of the biggest card manufacturers, btw.
Andrew_WOT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd of May 2012 (Thu)   #48
Andrew_WOT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew_WOT View Post
They are one of the biggest card manufacturers, btw.
And another one.
12 Dumb User Errors that Cause Memory Card Corruption
Quote:
Do Not Do These Things:
- Repeatedly shoot a picture then delete in-camera. Shoot, delete. Shoot, delete…

Do These Things:
- Reformat your memory cards in camera before every event. This will reset them to manufacturer grade; nice and fresh.
- Always delete you images on your computer through a card reader. It will prolong the life of your card
Of course there is a bunch of crap on the net and you don't have to believe everything you read, but when advise comes from card manufacturer no matter how slight the risk is I'd rather not to take it.
Plus it lessen the chance of mistakenly deleting images that could turn out the keepers, killing two birds with one stone.

Last edited by Andrew_WOT : 3rd of May 2012 (Thu) at 13:58.
Andrew_WOT is offline   Reply With Quote
This ad block will go away when you log in as member
Old 3rd of May 2012 (Thu)   #49
garys1

I delete pics in camera all the time. After downloading the images to my computer, I always format the card when I put it back in the camera. I haven't had any problems. Been doing this since 2009.
garys1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 5th of May 2012 (Sat)   #50
Littlefield

Just don't open the flash card door until the activity light is off. Ask why would Canon put that tool if it hurt the card
Littlefield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th of May 2012 (Sat)   #51
Scatterbrained
Cream of the Crop

Quote:
Originally Posted by garys1 View Post
I delete pics in camera all the time. After downloading the images to my computer, I always format the card when I put it back in the camera. I haven't had any problems. Been doing this since 2009.
Yes, but some people just keep erasing the images and never reformat the card. I think that's the point that is being discussed.
1x
Scatterbrained is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th of May 2012 (Sat)   #52
Legion5

I would highly recommend shooting in RAW + JPG even if you don't use jpg because it provides much much better previews.
Legion5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th of May 2012 (Mon)   #53
Littlefield

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legion5 View Post
I would highly recommend shooting in RAW + JPG even if you don't use jpg because it provides much much better previews.
I thought the raw file would be seen as jpeg in the viewfinder and those two files combined are huge in size.
Littlefield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th of May 2012 (Mon)   #54
Christina.DazzleByDesign

Quote:
Originally Posted by Littlefield View Post
I thought the raw file would be seen as jpeg in the viewfinder and those two files combined are huge in size.
I bumped my shaprness from 0 to 7 while just shooting raw, hoping it would affect the embedded jpeg preview, and it did! It is a world of a difference for the better.
Old 8th of May 2012 (Tue)   #55
spear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christina.DazzleByDesign View Post
I bumped my shaprness from 0 to 7 while just shooting raw, hoping it would affect the embedded jpeg preview, and it did! It is a world of a difference for the better.
It seems like a harsh way to deal with improving preview of photos. Can you go back in sharpness if it is coded in RAW? If not then it seems that it is a poor compromise. I think the only real accurate way to see how a photo really looks like is to view it on a large monitor, it is really hard to accurately see how good the photo is with a preview on camera. Much better would be to get a big memory card and refrain from deleting anything until you see it on a PC monitor.
Canon 40D, 5DII, 5DIII, G9,G11,S100,G1X, Canon lenses 600mmL f/4 ,24mm-105L f/4, 16-35L II f/2.8, 70-200L II f/2.8, EF 100mm f/2.8, EF 50 f/1.4,17-85 EFS, 10-22 EFS, 580 EX, 2x 580 EXII, 270EX,STE2, 1. 4x Converter, 2.0x Converter. Nikon 800E w/Nikkor 24-70
spear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th of May 2012 (Tue)   #56
jase1125
Goldmember

Quote:
Haha, I'm getting annoyed now.

When I'm shooting in RAW, its gotten to a point where I force myself not to look at the pictures on the screen, unless they are obviously poorly exposed - I will not delete them. (However, I know I can always fix the under exposed shots very easily, but I just prefer to save space and shoot properlly). Because its now very apparent to me that the screen lies. I know that when shooting RAW it displays the smallest /low quality JPEG as a preview, but all I get is images looking so OOF that it has depressed me to a point to not looking at all (but I do appreciate the feeling of relief and excitement when I look at the RAW's on my computer and see wonderfully in focus images).

Right now it isn't a major issue since I am just shooting for fun, but this summer when I am at horse shows shooting the events, I'll be forced to delete the bum shots as I go to save space for every rider. If I look at the images the way they look now on the screen, I'd be deleting every single one. Is there a way to set the camera to display higher quality JPEGs? Or is the solution only to shoot in RAW + Jpeg, and the jpeg being high qual...?
That is my biggest complaint with the 5D3. The images all look soft on the back LCD. I would rather have back the screen used in the 5D2, 7D or 1D4. I really hate the screen on the 5D3. The colors look great but everything looks soft. I know I can crank up the sharpness, but I didn't have to do that with my other bodies.

Last edited by jase1125 : 8th of May 2012 (Tue) at 07:11.
jase1125 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 8th of May 2012 (Tue)   #57
Invertalon
Cream of the Crop

Just turn sharpness up. Who cares if you didn't need to do that before? That is how you fix it now. If you shoot RAW anyway it wont effect you in the least and give you nice sharp results on LCD to look at.
Old 8th of May 2012 (Tue)   #58
AJSJones
Goldmember

Quote:
Originally Posted by Invertalon View Post
Have you tried bumping up your sharpening settings? I have mine set quite high, to like 5 or 6 for JPEG's. I generally just work with RAW only so this is just for me to scan once on computer, but maybe this will improve your LCD images as well. Worth a try!
5 days ago
Quote:
I'll try that!
5 days ago
Quote:
Better late than never
Old 8th of May 2012 (Tue)   #59
Christina.DazzleByDesign

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJSJones View Post
5 days ago

5 days ago

Better late than never
Maybe I did this awhile ago and thought I'd update the thread?
Old 8th of May 2012 (Tue)   #60
gvg45

Quote:
Originally Posted by umphotography View Post
Regarding the LCD being a liar

Use your histogram and get to know your camera.

My MKIV LCD is off by almost a full stop from what the image looks like to my eyes v/s what the histogram says. I use my LCD a lot. When i first got my MKIV, the LCD showed that the images were exposed properly. When i got home and downloaded in LR, they were off by about .78 of a stop. I had a batch of noisy low light wedding images i was not very happy about that i had to fix.

I now shoot with my histogram and i make very sure its off the left side and not past the middle for this camera when Im using the MKIV. The result is that is right when i download in in LR. If i shoot past the middle, they look a bit over exposed in LR.....so its a little touchy with the LCD. I use my histogram each time i change lighting.

My 5D2. I can use the LCD all day long and my eyes and the histogram are in Agreement. I never have to look at the histogram to be sure it right like i do with the MKIV.

Hoping the 5D3 i have on order is like the 5D2 and not like the MKIV....all cameras are a bit different. TEAMSPEED and i have had this conversation and i spoke to Canon about this....No Fix.....just the way it is.

So,,,,,,,use your histogram and don't rely on the LCD until you know what your camera is going to do.
Hey Mike,

Have you tried different profiles (Neutral, Faithful, etc.) with contrast & saturation turned down a bit? I say this because, as you probably know, the histogram you are looking at on the camera's LCD of your image is embedded with the profile/settings you select in-camera which is basically generating a processed JPG.

I've been using Faithful with contrast turned most of the way down and saturation turned down a bit. Yes, the result on the LCD screen lacks pop, which I adjust later in processing the RAW, but I found it helps getting my histogram to match much better. Oh and to stay on-topic, I found a sharpness setting of 5 to be ideal and I've programmed the SET button to magnify with an 8x default.

gvg45 is offline   Reply With Quote