Canon Digital Photography Forums  

Go Back   Canon Digital Photography Forums > 'Sharing Knowhow' section > Talk About Photography > Transportation Talk
Register Rules FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 4th of May 2012 (Fri)   #1
Pagman
Goldmember

Default Photgraphing Civil Aircraft

With all the security issues surrounding the worlds airports, and viewing and photographing aircraft becoming more restrictive and difficult, If a State-of-the-Art visitor centre/viewing park, that gave un-hindered views and exceptional photo opportunities, along with all aviation and family day out/dining facilities, and cover for when the weather turns rough.

How far would the aviation buffs and camera loving day out folk on here travel for sutch a venue eg, - Overseas??
Pagman is offline   Reply With Quote
This ad block will go away when you log in as member
Old 4th of May 2012 (Fri)   #2
rick_reno
Cream of the Crop

Default Re: Photgraphing Civil Aircraft

i wouldn't travel overseas, but then i'm not a plane buff.
rick_reno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th of May 2012 (Fri)   #3
PhotosGuy

"Overseas" to where?
It would be nice to spend a week at the mach Loop, but without a better reason, I'm not going to take another trip to Ol' Blighty.

I'm moving this to T. Talk.

Find the light... A few Car Lighting Tips, and MOVE YOUR FEET!
Have you thought about making your own book? // Need an exposure crutch?

New Image Size Limits: Image must not exceed 1280 pixels on any side.
PhotosGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
This ad block will go away when you log in as member
Old 4th of May 2012 (Fri)   #4
Pagman
Goldmember

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhotosGuy View Post
"Overseas" to where?
It would be nice to spend a week at the mach Loop, but without a better reason, I'm not going to take another trip to Ol' Blighty.

Hi,

Have you ever visited London Heathrow Airport and either wanted to or done any photography their? they had a great visitor/viewing facility called The Queens Building, It was one of the best in all Europe, I want to see a similar yet different at Birmingham Airport.
Pagman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th of May 2012 (Fri)   #5
FlyingPhotog
Cream of the "Prop"

I know spotters who would probably sell their own mothers for such a facility...

Fortunately, I'm not one of them!
Old 5th of May 2012 (Sat)   #6
Mick Emmett
Goldmember

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhotosGuy View Post
"Overseas" to where?

I don't think you'll see to many civil aircraft flying through the valley's of the mach loop Frank

Flickr
Mick Emmett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th of May 2012 (Sat)   #7
PhotosGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mick Emmett View Post
I don't think you'll see to many civil aircraft flying through the valley's of the mach loop Frank
No guts, no glory?

Find the light... A few Car Lighting Tips, and MOVE YOUR FEET!
Have you thought about making your own book? // Need an exposure crutch?

New Image Size Limits: Image must not exceed 1280 pixels on any side.
PhotosGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th of May 2012 (Tue)   #8
jj_glos

Just don't travel to Greece!

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/1697862.stm
Old 9th of May 2012 (Wed)   #9
birderman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pagman View Post
Hi,

Have you ever visited London Heathrow Airport and either wanted to or done any photography their? they had a great visitor/viewing facility called The Queens Building, It was one of the best in all Europe, I want to see a similar yet different at Birmingham Airport.
How long ago was that ? The Queens Building has been closed to public now for some 10 years + and is not likely to ever open again...It used to be a supurb and should have been the model for all airport spectator facilities. It had terraces that expanded over the top of Terminal 2 which gave great views of all round Heathrow. It catered for aviation and non aviation alike and in the early seventies it had an amusement arcade, cafe and shops and a small paddling pool..Over the years as Air travel increased and facilities for travellers expanded the view from the Queens Building became obstructed and less impressive and facilities fased out until eventually it was closed. However Heathrow did open up a new specatators centre on the North side of the airport, which I cannot really give an opinion on as I have not been there yet.

Years ago I used to also use the Car Parks as observation areas and several occasions on using tripod mounted cameras was asked not to use the Tripod cos it could be seen as a security risk......Apart from that I never had any other issues photographing the planes at Heathrow from almost anywhere around the Permiter road or other places that gave good viewpoints......

my photos on Flickr
my Facebook - KishWphotos
birderman is offline   Reply With Quote