FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Transportation Talk
Thread started 04 May 2012 (Friday) 20:06   
LIST NEARBY THREADS

Pagman
Goldmember
Joined Dec 2011
2,667 posts
[MORE/SHARE]

With all the security issues surrounding the worlds airports, and viewing and photographing aircraft becoming more restrictive and difficult, If a State-of-the-Art visitor centre/viewing park, that gave un-hindered views and exceptional photo opportunities, along with all aviation and family day out/dining facilities, and cover for when the weather turns rough.

How far would the aviation buffs and camera loving day out folk on here travel for sutch a venue eg, - Overseas?????

Post #1, May 04, 2012 20:06:42

Nikon D90 with a sharp 55-300VR:D

Had - Nikon D200, Canon 30D, 55-250 IS
Previously EOS 650 and Siggy box set of 28-20/70-210 UC. AE1 50f1.4, SX10IS,SX20IS

sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)
rick_reno
Cream of the Crop
Joined Dec 2010
44,432 posts
[MORE/SHARE]

i wouldn't travel overseas, but then i'm not a plane buff.

Post #2, May 04, 2012 20:51:28

PhotosGuy
Joined Feb 2004
69,098 posts
S. E. Michigan
[MORE/SHARE]

"Overseas" to where?
It would be nice to spend a week at the mach Loop, but without a better reason, I'm not going to take another trip to Ol' Blighty.

I'm moving this to T. Talk.

Post #3, May 04, 2012 21:02:00

FrankC - 20D, RAW, Manual everything...
Classic Carz, Racing, Air Show, Flowers.
Find the light... A few Car Lighting Tips, and MOVE YOUR FEET!
Have you thought about making your own book? // Need an exposure crutch?
New Image Size Limits: Image must not exceed 1280 pixels on any side.

Pagman
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
Joined Dec 2011
2,667 posts
[MORE/SHARE]

PhotosGuy wrote in post #14381421external link
"Overseas" to where?
It would be nice to spend a week at the mach Loop, but without a better reason, I'm not going to take another trip to Ol' Blighty.

Hi,

Have you ever visited London Heathrow Airport and either wanted to or done any photography their? they had a great visitor/viewing facility called The Queens Building, It was one of the best in all Europe, I want to see a similar yet different at Birmingham Airport.

Post #4, May 04, 2012 21:09:24

Nikon D90 with a sharp 55-300VR:D

Had - Nikon D200, Canon 30D, 55-250 IS
Previously EOS 650 and Siggy box set of 28-20/70-210 UC. AE1 50f1.4, SX10IS,SX20IS

FlyingPhotog
Cream of the "Prop"
Joined May 2007
57,560 posts
Probably Chasing Aircraft
[MORE/SHARE]

I know spotters who would probably sell their own mothers for such a facility...

Fortunately, I'm not one of them! ;)

Post #5, May 04, 2012 23:49:56

Jay
Crosswind Imagesexternal link
Facebook Fan Pageexternal link

"If you aren't getting extraordinary images from today's dSLRs, regardless of brand, it's not the camera!" - Bill Fortney, Nikon Corp.

sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)
Mick ­ Emmett
Goldmember
Joined Oct 2005
2,726 posts
Kippax, Nr Leeds,Yorkshire, England
[MORE/SHARE]

PhotosGuy wrote in post #14381421external link
"Overseas" to where?

I don't think you'll see to many civil aircraft flying through the valley's of the mach loop Frank ;)

Post #6, May 05, 2012 06:16:30

My Gear List
Flickrexternal link

PhotosGuy
Joined Feb 2004
69,098 posts
S. E. Michigan
[MORE/SHARE]

Mick Emmett wrote in post #14382714external link
I don't think you'll see to many civil aircraft flying through the valley's of the mach loop Frank ;)

No guts, no glory? :D

Post #7, May 05, 2012 09:10:16

FrankC - 20D, RAW, Manual everything...
Classic Carz, Racing, Air Show, Flowers.
Find the light... A few Car Lighting Tips, and MOVE YOUR FEET!
Have you thought about making your own book? // Need an exposure crutch?
New Image Size Limits: Image must not exceed 1280 pixels on any side.

jj_glos
Goldmember
Joined Nov 2009
1,870 posts
Gloucester UK
[MORE/SHARE]

Just don't travel to Greece! :D

http://news.bbc.co.uk/​1/hi/uk/1697862.stmexternal link

Post #8, May 08, 2012 10:09:58

Canon 1Ds Mark II, 7D | Fujifilm X-E1, X-T1 | Canon 35/2, 24-105L IS, 70-200L IS II, 85/1.8 | Fujifilm XF23/F1.4 R, XF35/F1.4 R, XF18-55 LM OIS, XF56/F1.2 R, XF60 Macro | Sigma 35mm f/1.4, 50mm f/1.4 | Tamron 28-75mm f/2.8 Macro, 150-600 VC | Nissin Di866 Mark II Flash | Canon Speedlite 430 EX

birderman
Joined Mar 2011
827 posts
London, UK
[MORE/SHARE]

Pagman wrote in post #14381450external link
Hi,

Have you ever visited London Heathrow Airport and either wanted to or done any photography their? they had a great visitor/viewing facility called The Queens Building, It was one of the best in all Europe, I want to see a similar yet different at Birmingham Airport.

How long ago was that ? The Queens Building has been closed to public now for some 10 years + and is not likely to ever open again...It used to be a supurb and should have been the model for all airport spectator facilities. It had terraces that expanded over the top of Terminal 2 which gave great views of all round Heathrow. It catered for aviation and non aviation alike and in the early seventies it had an amusement arcade, cafe and shops and a small paddling pool..Over the years as Air travel increased and facilities for travellers expanded the view from the Queens Building became obstructed and less impressive and facilities fased out until eventually it was closed. However Heathrow did open up a new specatators centre on the North side of the airport, which I cannot really give an opinion on as I have not been there yet.

Years ago I used to also use the Car Parks as observation areas and several occasions on using tripod mounted cameras was asked not to use the Tripod cos it could be seen as a security risk......Apart from that I never had any other issues photographing the planes at Heathrow from almost anywhere around the Permiter road or other places that gave good viewpoints......

Post #9, May 09, 2012 04:53:48

Birderman
London, UK
my photos on Flickrexternal link
My Websiteexternal link or my Facebook - KishWphotosexternal link

LIST NEARBY THREADS
933 views & 0 likes for this thread
Photgraphing Civil Aircraft
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Transportation Talk

NOT A MEMBER YET? CLICK HERE TO REGISTER TO FORUMS

CHANGE BODY TEXT SIZE FOR ALL THREAD PAGES