Light Meter for Indoor sports

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Sports Talk
Thread started 02 May 2012 (Wednesday) 12:20   
LIST NEARBY THREADS

Cozmocha
Joined Oct 2010
728 posts
[MORE/SHARE]

The Sekonic L-358 is the industry standard light meter. You can pick iso and f-stop then it will give you the shutter speed or set iso and shutter speed and it will give you f-stop. Some cheaper models only let you set iso and SS to get the f-stop. It depends on what you need but it is a flexible light meter.

http://www.sekonic.com​/Products/L-358/Overview.aspxexternal link

Now will a light meter make your images better then using the internal metering or test shots looking at the histogram to judge exposure? It might, but not sure if it is worth it now.

Post #16, May 05, 2012 13:24:23

-Kurt
www.kurtriversphoto.co​mexternal link || http://www.sportsshoot​er.com/kurtriversexternal link

sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)
abbypanda
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
Joined Nov 2011
1,777 posts
[MORE/SHARE]

Ok so how bad did I do:

I found it difficult because the gymnasium had windows on one side and it was a cloudy day.
Tried a few options. Metered off some gis, the grey wall, etc. Shot at 2000 ISO and 3400 and 4000.
Very grainy! I don't think I got it right but I think I'm getting better. I felt after removing the noise in lightroom the people look very soft. I also shot in auto point expansion the first part of the day and all those pics were out of focus really bad no matter what I did. I ended up turning off IS hoping that'd help. I also switched back to the zone selection and those shots were much sharper, still not as sharp as the seminar I shot a few weekends ago, but I think I got the exposure better this time. I am really disappointed in the lack of sharpness b/c the ones from before were very sharp and clear....

Any suggestions are welcome. Thanks for the replies everyone.

IMAGE NOT FOUND IMAGE IS A REDIRECT OR MISSING!
http://sphotos.xx.fbcd​n.net ...4_3530064_825197234​_n.jpgexternal link
HTTP response: 403 | MIME changed to 'text/plain'

http://a4.sphotos.ak.f​bcdn.net ...4_3530068_433481330​_n.jpgexternal link
HTTP response: 400 | MIME changed to 'text/html'

http://sphotos.xx.fbcd​n.net ...4_3530072_693571949​_n.jpgexternal link

http://sphotos.xx.fbcd​n.net ..._3530075_1285694911​_n.jpgexternal link

http://a5.sphotos.ak.f​bcdn.net ..._3530079_1826090812​_n.jpgexternal link

http://sphotos.xx.fbcd​n.net ..._3530085_1346559732​_n.jpgexternal link

http://sphotos.xx.fbcd​n.net ..._3530090_2078134426​_n.jpgexternal link

http://a6.sphotos.ak.f​bcdn.net ...04_3530144_81370383​_n.jpgexternal link

Post #17, May 07, 2012 20:11:26

Zivnuska
Goldmember
Joined Oct 2007
3,096 posts
Wichita, Kansas
[MORE/SHARE]

abbypanda wrote in post #14367110external link
What is a good light meter for indoor sports?

I also like the Sekonic L-358.

Post #18, May 08, 2012 08:24:52

www.zivnuska.zenfolio.​com/blog = My Blog
Gear List
www.zivnuska.zenfolio.​comexternal link

"It's not tight until you see the color of the irides."

xchangx
Joined May 2007
502 posts
Mobile, AL
[MORE/SHARE]

They look slightly underexposed. Try bumping them up a little in Lightroom. Also, try to just use center point AF, I think you'll have a better keeper rate.

Post #19, May 08, 2012 08:55:24

Nikon 2x D3s / D3 / 17-35 2.8 / 70-200 2.8 / 400 2.8 / 600 f4
My Images with Gettyexternal link
My Sportsshooter Page
My Websiteexternal link

abbypanda
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
Joined Nov 2011
1,777 posts
[MORE/SHARE]

Thanks xchangx, I am bumping them up now and that is exactly what I switched to and I had a much better result at the end in terms of sharpness. Thanks for the help

Post #20, May 08, 2012 12:31:37

sponsored links
momof3b1g
Mostly Lurking
Joined May 2010
11 posts
[MORE/SHARE]

If its not to late. When I shoot basketball indoors. I am pretty limited to what settings I can use. For a sport you need to decided what SS you need. This almost always has to stay the same. ISO being indoors (unless there are large windows) would be 3200-6400. You may get lucky if you can get by with 1600-2500, if you dont need a high SS. BB I do. Then change your ap. Which you usually need a wide ap for more light. Then check your histogram for under/over exposure etc. HTH

Post #21, May 14, 2012 16:53:40

abbypanda
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
Joined Nov 2011
1,777 posts
[MORE/SHARE]

Hey Mom, Thanks for the help. I did get a light meter but didnt use it in time for the last comp. I will next time. I shot around 4000 iso I think shutter was around 500. Absolutely hated the noise!

Stopped action ok for the most part, but it seems like all my pics are underexposed no matter what I do. I used my light meter for some stuff out doors this weekend to try it, used it on animals, flowers, etc. When I looked thru the camera the cameras meter said what the light meter had suggested was right on but when I put them in light room they all were underexposed according to histogram. I'm beginning to wonder if I should just shoot overexposed and hope that will help compensate.

Just have to keep practicing I guess. The light meter def helps for now. Thank you very much.

Post #22, May 14, 2012 19:31:56

xchangx
Joined May 2007
502 posts
Mobile, AL
[MORE/SHARE]

What setting have you set your in-camera meter? Sport, Partial, the whole frame? That will also determine what it shows you.

If you are shooting indoors with no changes in light, just put your camera on Manual, set your Aperture to 2.8, shutter speed to 1/500 and ISO to 6400.

If that's too dark then 1/400.

At high ISO over-exposing and bringing it down in post is better than underexposing and bringing it up.

Post #23, May 15, 2012 13:42:03

My Sportsshooter Page
My Websiteexternal link

thrash_273
Goldmember
Joined Aug 2007
4,782 posts
baltimore
[MORE/SHARE]

sekonic L358 is awesome

Post #24, May 15, 2012 13:44:42

Ben
flickrexternal link
Positive feedbacks, More, More,More

abbypanda
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
Joined Nov 2011
1,777 posts
[MORE/SHARE]

I got the polaris meter someone recommended. I like it but have not used it on sports yet. I have my camera set in evaluative metering. I have also tried some "center weighted average". But for those pics I posted and the event I shot I had it in manual and did like I was recommended in this thread as far as metering off something white, setting iso and aperature. I also read before a lot of folks shoot underexposed but I think I'm gonna switch to overexposed and bring it down, I was not purposely shooting underexposed but figured it was ok b/c i could bring it up. It's starting to get annoying tho b/c all my pics are underexposed and I wanna fix this.

I truly hate the noise of the 7d at 6400. I need to save up for a ff

Post #25, May 15, 2012 20:03:56

joeblack2022
Goldmember
Joined Sep 2011
2,946 posts
The Great White North
[MORE/SHARE]

xchangx wrote in post #14435769external link
At high ISO over-exposing and bringing it down in post is better than underexposing and bringing it up.

abbypanda wrote in post #14437431external link
I also read before a lot of folks shoot underexposed but I think I'm gonna switch to overexposed and bring it down, I was not purposely shooting underexposed but figured it was ok b/c i could bring it up. It's starting to get annoying tho b/c all my pics are underexposed and I wanna fix this.

What xchangx said is true, underexposing is a bad thing at high ISO because you'll be bringing up the noise level when you compensate in post.

If you have not seen this thread it's a good read for high ISO shooting with the 7D:

http://photography-on-the.net .../showthread.php?t=1​079217

Post #26, May 17, 2012 12:40:00

Joel

sponsored links
xchangx
Joined May 2007
502 posts
Mobile, AL
[MORE/SHARE]

abbypanda wrote in post #14437431external link
I got the polaris meter someone recommended. I like it but have not used it on sports yet. I have my camera set in evaluative metering. I have also tried some "center weighted average". But for those pics I posted and the event I shot I had it in manual and did like I was recommended in this thread as far as metering off something white, setting iso and aperature. I also read before a lot of folks shoot underexposed but I think I'm gonna switch to overexposed and bring it down, I was not purposely shooting underexposed but figured it was ok b/c i could bring it up. It's starting to get annoying tho b/c all my pics are underexposed and I wanna fix this.

The problem with metering and sports is that just because it's white won't really mean that you want it exposed to that white. For example, take a black football player in a white jersey on a bright sunny day.

If you expose for the white jersey there's no way you are going to see his face, the camera will increase the SS to properly expose the bright white.

So what do you do? Expose for the face, that's what's important. You can bring down the jersey in post.

Post #27, May 17, 2012 14:12:45

My Sportsshooter Page
My Websiteexternal link

abbypanda
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
Joined Nov 2011
1,777 posts
[MORE/SHARE]

Ok I'll expose for the face now on, but then should I use a spot metering or what for that

Thanks for the help

Post #28, May 18, 2012 09:45:40

kenjancef
Goldmember
Joined Jan 2010
2,276 posts
East Providence, RI 02914
[MORE/SHARE]

xchangx wrote in post #14446644external link
The problem with metering and sports is that just because it's white won't really mean that you want it exposed to that white. For example, take a black football player in a white jersey on a bright sunny day.

If you expose for the white jersey there's no way you are going to see his face, the camera will increase the SS to properly expose the bright white.

So what do you do? Expose for the face, that's what's important. You can bring down the jersey in post.

+1

I've been shooting a lot of baseball, and I make sure to expose for the face, even though everything else might be blown out a bit. It's hard with ballplayers because most of the time the bills of the baseball hats create shadows on the face. But for sport, the face is the most important, even when wearing helmets.

Post #29, May 18, 2012 14:43:54

Gear List
My Flickr Pageexternal link

Rocketdun
Joined Jan 2009
295 posts
Atlanta, GA
[MORE/SHARE]

In shooting most indoor sports especially basketball, the white balance on one end of the court will be entirely different than on the other end. Most school venues have entrances that are lead to the court, some of course have skylights above goals or nets.
One thing that might assist you is the Expo Disc
Also the Color right white balance tool and a couple of their offerings are sold on Amazon
My solution was to set one body color balanced on one end of the court, and one color balanced at the other end of the court when white balance became a constant issue.
One solution depending on where you are allowed to shoot, your positon, the stands or along the lines is to position your self, set the color balance,
You want to shoot with the action coming toward you no matter what the color balance, you want to capture the players faces, not their numbers moving away from your position on the court
Expodiscs come sized, if you have a long lens be sure and purchase the Expo Disc for that sice lens, and then you have the option of using it on smaller diameter lenses
http://www.amazon.com ...=b&ref=pd_sl_7js0xj​r0jy_bexternal link

Post #30, Jun 10, 2012 11:12:19

A great photo only starts with the shutter release,
1DS Mark ii,7D , 40D, 24 mm 2.8, 50mm 1.8, 50 mm 1.4, 28-138, 18-200, 70-200 2.8, 100-400 4.5-5.6 , 580 EXII,
My stuff: http://deseventphotos.​zenfolio.comexternal link

LIST NEARBY THREADS
4,372 views & 0 likes for this thread
Light Meter for Indoor sports
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Sports Talk

NOT A MEMBER YET? CLICK HERE TO REGISTER TO FORUMS

CHANGE BODY TEXT SIZE FOR ALL THREAD PAGES