Canon Digital Photography Forums  

Go Back   Canon Digital Photography Forums > 'Photo Sharing' section > Urban Life & Travel
Register Rules FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 29th of April 2012 (Sun)   #1366
Fester

Default Re: "Bring out yer dead!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bad Habit View Post
A similar one from Oregon
Woodmen of the World....
From Wikipedia....

Cemetery stone with Woodmen logo.
One enduring physical legacy of the organization are distinctive headstones in the shape of a tree stump. This was an early benefit of Woodmen of the World membership, and they are found in cemeteries nationwide. This program was abandoned in the late 1920s as it was too costly.

Typically the headstones would include a depiction of the WOW relics—symbols of the organization. These include most notably a stump or felled tree (inscribed into a more generic monument in some cases, rather than the more noticeable instances of the entire monument being in the shape of the log or tree-stump); the maul and wedge; an axe; and often a Dove of Peace with an olive branch. As Woodmen "do not lie" a common inscription: "Here rests a Woodman of the World".
Fester is offline   Reply With Quote
This ad block will go away when you log in as member
Old 29th of April 2012 (Sun)   #1367
Fester

Fester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th of April 2012 (Sun)   #1368
Bad Habit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fester View Post
Woodmen of the World....
From Wikipedia....

Cemetery stone with Woodmen logo.
One enduring physical legacy of the organization are distinctive headstones in the shape of a tree stump. This was an early benefit of Woodmen of the World membership, and they are found in cemeteries nationwide. This program was abandoned in the late 1920s as it was too costly.

Typically the headstones would include a depiction of the WOW relics—symbols of the organization. These include most notably a stump or felled tree (inscribed into a more generic monument in some cases, rather than the more noticeable instances of the entire monument being in the shape of the log or tree-stump); the maul and wedge; an axe; and often a Dove of Peace with an olive branch. As Woodmen "do not lie" a common inscription: "Here rests a Woodman of the World".
Cool, thanks for the info
Old 30th of April 2012 (Mon)   #1369
Gojira1976
User is banned from forums

You all are freaking awesome! keep up the excellent work! long live the the souls!
Gojira1976 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st of May 2012 (Tue)   #1370
philmar
Goldmember

Tomb stones - Okunoin cemetery of Koyasan by Phil Marion, on Flickr

Grave marker - Okunoin cemetery of Koyasan by Phil Marion, on Flickr
philmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th of May 2012 (Sat)   #1371
philmar
Goldmember

Photos of the cremated - Okunoin cemetery of Koyasan by Phil Marion, on Flickr
Old 5th of May 2012 (Sat)   #1372
magoosmc

San Miguel de Allende 1971
Attached Images
File Type: jpg sm3-2r.jpg (148.4 KB, 244 views)
magoosmc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 7th of May 2012 (Mon)   #1373
skygod44
"in stockings and suspenders"

Location: Southern Kyushu, Japan. Which means nowhere near Tokyo!

Quote:
Originally Posted by magoosmc View Post
San Miguel de Allende 1971
Wow!
Powerful image.
Do you know why the coffin had been desecrated?
Old 7th of May 2012 (Mon)   #1374
magoosmc

Quote:
Originally Posted by skygod44 View Post
Wow!
Powerful image.
Do you know why the coffin had been desecrated?
This is one of many that I shot in '71 while attending Instituto Allende in San Miquel de Allende. I was taking a photography class and it was suggested that I visit the grave yard. Scenes like this were throughout - skeletons everywhere. It was explained to me that the State would supply a gravesite for those that could not afford one. You got the hole for about as long as it took for you to get wherever it was that you were going to spend eternity - then they dug you up and used the hole for the next person. My girlfriend and I shot there for a couple of days until we found a freshly severed head in the bushes and decided not to come back. The darkroom was pretty rough and most of my prints were "light struck". I still have the negs in the attic and plan on having them printed soon.

A couple more here:
http://photography-on-the.net/forum/...ight=creepiest
magoosmc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 7th of May 2012 (Mon)   #1375
tonylong
do I really have to respond?

Quote:
This is one of many that I shot in '71 while attending Instituto Allende in San Miquel de Allende. I was taking a photography class and it was suggested that I visit the grave yard. Scenes like this were throughout - skeletons everywhere. It was explained to me that the State would supply a gravesite for those that could not afford one. You got the hole for about as long as it took for you to get wherever it was that you were going to spend eternity - then they dug you up and used the hole for the next person. My girlfriend and I shot there for a couple of days until we found a freshly severed head in the bushes and decided not to come back. The darkroom was pretty rough and most of my prints were "light struck". I still have the negs in the attic and plan on having them printed soon.

A couple more here:
Thanks for the link to that thread -- it looks interesting!
Wildlife project pics here, Biking Photog shoots here, "Suburbia" project here! Mount St. Helens, Mount Hood pics here
tonylong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th of May 2012 (Mon)   #1376
skygod44
"in stockings and suspenders"

Location: Southern Kyushu, Japan. Which means nowhere near Tokyo!

Quote:

A couple more here:
That's an interesting story.....thanks.
But the "head" part?! So horrible....
Old 7th of May 2012 (Mon)   #1377
philmar
Goldmember

Okunoin cemetery of Koyasan by Phil Marion, on Flickr
Old 8th of May 2012 (Tue)   #1378
kiss-o-matic

Quote:
Originally Posted by philmar View Post
Takao Gunji: 1936-1986. He will always be remembered for his inability to make a human smile in front of a camera.
kiss-o-matic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th of May 2012 (Sun)   #1379
philmar
Goldmember

Okunoin cemetery of Koyasan by Phil Marion, on Flickr
Old 18th of May 2012 (Fri)   #1380
philmar
Goldmember

Man dwarfed by massive trees at Okunoin cemetery of Koyasan by Phil Marion, on Flickr