Thread started 04 May 2012 (Friday) 21:01   
LIST NEARBY THREADS

cpam.pix
Goldmember
Joined Apr 2011
1,246 posts
[MORE/SHARE]

...I'm ready to shoot a wedding?

I've been asked twice in the last 2 weeks...I'd really like to shoot as a second to get experience.

Does anyone ever feel ready for the first one?

Reminds me of a song from A Chorus Line..." then we did it again and i forgot to be scared"

Post #1, May 04, 2012 21:01:36

1D-III with stuff to stick on it:
70-200L, 28-70L, 24-105L, 300L, 50, 10-17 fish, 2.0x TC

sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)
snakeman55
Goldmember
Joined Feb 2005
1,223 posts
Baltimore, Md
[MORE/SHARE]

It really has as much to do with your personality as anything.

You have to A. Have decent enough gear, B. Have a decent knowledge/comfortabili​ty with basics like exposure and composition, and C. have a personality that allows you to go with the flow, recognize important moments and interactions and also direct people when needed.

I was talked into my first wedding. I did it for free and at the time of agreeing to it all I had was a 30D/kit lens and 430 and a 100 Macro. By the time the wedding came, I'd read a lot, and picked up another camera and some other stuff, but honestly I could have done a decent job with what I had. The people were ecstatic and I booked several more.

You should be nervous. If you're not nervous at all, you're probably not taking it seriously enough and if you're too nervous you might not have the stomach for this work.

Post #2, May 04, 2012 21:34:50

-Adam
Wedding Photographers in Marylandexternal link
Gear

scorpio_e
Cream of the Crop
Joined Aug 2007
6,557 posts
Pa
[MORE/SHARE]

I felt ready for my first wedding.

Post #3, May 04, 2012 21:36:12

http://steelcityphotog​raphy.zenfolio.com/external link

iLvision
Cream of the Crop
Joined Oct 2011
5,766 posts
Western pot hole city, Massachusetts
[MORE/SHARE]
banned

My first wedding was horrible. REALLY horrible. Mainly because I didn’t know how to use my dSLR well enough yet (I had it only for a couple months)

The three important things you need to know.

1. Have decent gear
2. Know how to use your gear
3. Have a good eye

Wedding photography requires experience. It’s a shoot you cannot re-do.

Post #4, May 04, 2012 21:41:11

Ilya | Gear | flickrexternal link D800| 14-300mm f/1.4GL ED VR III USWM

brokensocial
Joined Apr 2012
481 posts
Chicago, Illinois
[MORE/SHARE]

Our first is tomorrow. We'll let you know!

Post #5, May 04, 2012 22:15:23

[mike and frida] photography - we shoot stuff.
chicago wedding photographyexternal link | chicago wedding photography blogexternal link

sponsored links
PeaceFire
Goldmember
Joined Feb 2009
2,281 posts
Glendale, AZ - Chico, CA - Duluth, MN
[MORE/SHARE]

You know, I thought I was ready for my first wedding. I'd been shooting for a while, had all the basic gear I needed (2 cameras, 4 lenses, 2 flashes, lots of batteries, lots of cards), I had insurance, I had a lawyer write up contracts, etc. I was set!

Yeah... not so much. My first wedding? Extremely religious ceremony... in Spanish. I had neither the right clothing (I was required to wear a skirt/dress as per the religion) nor was I told the wedding would be in Spanish. I was told about the clothing ahead of time and was able to run out and get something, but it was an expense I wasn't expecting. And then the ceremony started and I had no clue what was happening! I'd been to weddings and knew how ceremonies went but since this one was a religion I was not familiar with I was completely lost. It turned out great (the pictures anyway), but, yeah. SO wasn't ready for that!

But had it been a normal ceremony in a normal church? So would have been ready!

Post #6, May 05, 2012 02:17:10

My Gear List / My Blogexternal link

highway0691
Joined Sep 2006
667 posts
[MORE/SHARE]

When you're ready to be humbled by your limitations. It doesn't matter how many L lenses you have or how many great landscapes or family/friend photos you have or how many people tell you you're a great photographer and you can do it. weddings are a totally new game. Don't let this turn you off having a go, all accomplished wedding photographers started from the same place.

PS Don't accept any money or very little for your first ?? many weddings.

Post #7, May 05, 2012 07:27:16

There is nothing worse than a sharp image of a fuzzy concept. Ansell Adams

johneo
Goldmember
Joined Aug 2003
1,428 posts
North Kingstown, RI
[MORE/SHARE]

Only you will know!
My first wedding, I was asked by my wife's neice to shoot her wedding. I thought I did a pretty good job with excuses as to why I shouldn't shoot it but she really wanted me to, so I did!
My experience! I missed the entire wedding ... in that, for the entire day, the only part I enjoyed was when I sat down and had dinner with my wife and family and even then, I was totally focused on what the Bride, Groom and wedding party were doing.
It was a GREAT experience being the photographer at a wedding in that ALL else was not even a part of the day and I was TOTALLY focused on getting the best shots of any and all that was going on. Even got shots of my son and daughter-in-law dancing and don't even remember shooting them. :(

My wife recently told me that I am not allowed to shoot any more family or friends weddings because her day kinda sucked being there alone.

I REALLY like doing weddings but you really need to be committed to your "job" at hand. You are NOT a guest, you are part of the working crew of the wedding ... same as the caterer, band or anyone else involved with providing their services for the event.
I was in my own world that day as well as the other weddings I have done. So far, I guess I have done alright! Everyone likes what I have shot ... My wifes neice's house looks like a photo gallery of my wedding photos of her wedding!

EDIT: Be forewarned ... If you do a wedding, KNOW what you are in for! Check out the church or whereever the ceremony is held,talk with the minister of the persone performing the ceremony. Check out the reception hall and talk to the people running the reception well ahead of time. I was a second shooter for a wedding my nephew was shooting. He did not check ahead and when we arrived at the church, the Priest told us, minutes before the bride walked down the aisle, "NO flash photos in the church!". My nephew went into panic mode. I calmed him down, got out my faster lenses and got the shots inside the pretty dark church. He's out of the wedding photo stuff now!

Post #8, May 05, 2012 11:11:31

2 - 5DMKII's, Powershot SX 150 IS
7D, 5D, IR/5D, 10D, IR/10D, Elan 7NE
17-40 L, 24-70 L, 70-200 f/2.8 L IS, 100-400 L IS,
TS-E 24 f/3.5 L, 28-135 IS (x2), 50 f/1.8, 85 f/1.8 550EX, 430EX
40mm pancake

bnlearle
Goldmember
Joined Aug 2006
1,897 posts
San Diego
[MORE/SHARE]

I wasn't "ready" but a friend's photographer bailed out the day before, I had a film camera, 30 rolls of film, and said, "sure!" when they asked if I could fill in last minute.

If you're wanting to make money, you have to be WAYYYYY more prepared. But if you're shooting for a friend who won't have anything better and you aren't charging money, go for it.

Post #9, May 05, 2012 12:41:54

twitterexternal link // facebookexternal link
Websiteexternal link
San Diego Wedding Photographer blogexternal link

cpam.pix
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
Joined Apr 2011
1,246 posts
[MORE/SHARE]

bnlearle wrote in post #14383901external link
I wasn't "ready" but a friend's photographer bailed out the day before, I had a film camera, 30 rolls of film, and said, "sure!" when they asked if I could fill in last minute.

This is EXACTLY how I would like it to happen!

I'm ready to be the last-minute fill-in guy...who without, the couple would get nothing. If I could survive that experience with photos that I was proud of, I'd know I'd be comfortable doing it for real.

Post #10, May 06, 2012 00:25:41

SOK
Goldmember
Joined Jun 2008
1,592 posts
Gold Coast, Australia
[MORE/SHARE]

I was ready...but I still made a few dumb mistakes and was genuinely surprised by how quickly things go.

I was nervous and as snakeman55 said; I took it as a good sign that I wasn't complacent.

If you can drive your camera, have a backup system, and manage the expectations of the 'client' (irrespective of whether you're getting paid or not) you will do OK.

Just this week there's been threads asking "should I use AF-Servo at a wedding this weekend?" and "can I recover images if I did a full shoot without a CF card?"...IMO these people aren't ready, but again, provided they managed expectations, there shouldn't be too much fallout and they will learn valuable lessons for next time.

My best advice for a first timer is GO AND ASSESS THE VENUE BEFORE THE DAY.

Post #11, May 06, 2012 03:31:50 as a reply to cpam.pix's post 3 hours earlier.

Steve
SOK Images - Wedding and Event Photography Gold Coastexternal link

sponsored links
rypson
Joined Aug 2007
146 posts
Brooklyn, NY - Ocean City, MD
[MORE/SHARE]

Scared of what ??? Please... it's easy !! Wedding photography is easier than anything else in the world, everyone can do it. Even if you have your first DSLR you should try, go for it, wedding photography is easy and not require any work. It's fun

After few years as a main/first photographer I'm scared to death before every single wedding, no matter if this is a beach ceremony for 1 hour or wedding for 300 people. I'm always going thru all my "checklists" I'm always trying to be double ready for every single situation.... It is a huge responsibility, and soon as you realize how big responsibility it is, it means you ready to work as a main/first photographer. I'm always scared, I always talk to my wife about what should I take care of first, talk about game plan, talk about settings, etc, etc...... Soon as you realize how big responsibility and powers is in your hands you can start planning your first wedding as a first photographer.... and never try to play smart ass and the guy who knows everything and is best photographer in the world.... #1 rule: Respect your customers thats the only way to gain their trust.... without trust you don't have customers.... GOOD LUCK to all new first/main photographer! have a good Histogram !

Post #12, May 07, 2012 16:42:39

Living The Dream ! Aviation Photography
http://www.chrisparypa​.comexternal link

Sam6644
Joined Jan 2010
685 posts
Columbus, Ohio
[MORE/SHARE]

I'd say you're ready as soon as you're confident that you're not going to mess up.

Shooting as a second would be helpful first would be helpful.

Post #13, May 07, 2012 17:00:19

my site (very outdated at this point)external link
my tumblr, more regularly updatedexternal link
my blogexternal link
and on twitterexternal link
and instagram, too.external link

cpam.pix
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
Joined Apr 2011
1,246 posts
[MORE/SHARE]

I got good news...the second wedding that I was asked about isn't until a year from now.
That's plenty of time to take advantage of learning opportunities by shooting second.

I'm going to sit down with the bride to learn about her expectations...and if she wants something closer to budget than fairy tale, I'll probably make the leap.

Post #14, May 07, 2012 17:02:23

SMP_Homer
Cream of the Crop
Joined Mar 2008
5,354 posts
London, Ontario
[MORE/SHARE]

when you do one, and don't receive death threats, you're ready for more...

Post #15, May 08, 2012 13:19:22

5D3 x2 / 5D2 / 1D IV / 6D
Sig85 /35L/100L/135L/16-35L II/70-200L II/100-400L
B400 x2 / B800 x2 / ABR800 / VML x2
600EX x3 / 430EXII x2
TT5 x8 /
PW TT1 / AC3 x3 / AC9 x4

LIST NEARBY THREADS
1,350 views & 0 likes for this thread
How do I know when...
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Weddings & Other Family Events Talk

NOT A MEMBER YET? CLICK HERE TO REGISTER TO FORUMS