Recording concert in bar - 5D II first time advice?

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos Video and Sound Editing
Thread started 21 Apr 2012 (Saturday) 17:22   
LIST NEARBY THREADS

Kolor-Pikker
Goldmember
Joined Aug 2009
2,355 posts
Moscow
[MORE/SHARE]

KurtGoss wrote in post #14381260external link
HUH? I shoot concerts all the time in clubs and large theaters. I use a 70-200 f2.8 as the go to lens.... at ISO 1600 @ f11! So an f4 can get the shot at 1/30 - ISO 1600 or 3200 no problem. Using a tele will actually have better exposure in low light, since you can zoom in on the players -- where the light tends to be. The wider the lens, the more "black" you will have on stage.

If you're talking about photography, then yes, those settings work, but the video implementation on most dSLR cams sucks and they don't have as much light sensitivity. Can you really expect usable results from an ISO3200 video, let alone 1600?
Of course good exposure depends on available light as well; it could be a dark, but well-lit stage, or a total rat's nest.

HINT: Tell new camermen that you can't rotate the DSLR camera to vertical position -- you watch video in horizontal only. :) Had one guy come back with 50% of his video in vertical rotation... it looks great when lying down on the floor.

Haha, this is actually a neat trick to use if you're going to be compositing and want that effect where you have several vertical strips of video going side-by-side, and since you're down-sizing from HD the image appears sharper too.

Post #16, May 05, 2012 08:26:38

5DmkII | 24-70 f/2.8L II | Pentax 645Z | 55/2.8 SDM | 120/4 Macro | 150/2.8 IF
I acquired an expensive camera so I can hang out in forums, annoy wedding photographers during formals and look down on P&S users... all the while telling people it's the photographer, not the camera.

sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)
KurtGoss
Joined Sep 2010
453 posts
[MORE/SHARE]
banned

Kolor-Pikker wrote in post #14383032external link
but the video implementation on most dSLR cams sucks and they don't have as much light sensitivity. Can you really expect usable results from an ISO3200 video, let alone 1600?

ISO 1600 looks fantastic in low light.

Many tests have been done, and here is a URL talking about ISO settings and a Vimeo example so you can compare the noise at different ISO settings. I shoot up to ISO 3200 all the time, of course it is not the "ideal" lighting -- but my point is under exposure on video is much worse than the noise at higher ISO in low light... so go ahead and bump up the ISO. I have done many test at live events at the Beacon Theater in NYC. Shooting at ISO 400 / 1/30th / f2.8 vs. ISO 1600 / 1/30th / 5.6, and many other combinations... and most people watching the footage never notice the noise, but do notice the depth of field change right away... and prefer the deeper depth of field.

http://www.photography​bay.com ...t-on-canon-hdslrs/http://external link

Post #17, May 06, 2012 03:40:54

LIST NEARBY THREADS
2,296 views & 0 likes for this thread
Recording concert in bar - 5D II first time advice?
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos Video and Sound Editing

NOT A MEMBER YET? CLICK HERE TO REGISTER TO FORUMS

CHANGE BODY TEXT SIZE FOR ALL THREAD PAGES