Canon Digital Photography Forums  

Go Back   Canon Digital Photography Forums > 'Sharing Knowhow' section > Talk About Photography > Urban Life & Travel Talk
Register Rules FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 22nd of April 2012 (Sun)   #1
firefighter4u

Default Observations on Cruise & Photography

I just came back (to possible 12 inches of snow tomorrow) from a 10 day Caribbean cruise (our first cruise). I thought I would provide my opinions and observations regarding photography and going on a cruise.

First question that many ask is should they even take their DSLR. IMO the answer is yes. You bought the camera as a tool to take fantastic photos, why would you not take it? I have a lowpro back back that carried my 7d, 17-50 lens and my 70-200 lens. I just brought it on the plane as a cary on - no issues at all. I also used the lowpro to keep bottled water when touring the islands.

The next common question is what lens should I bring? As I mentioned before I brought the 17-50 and 70-200. I soon discovered the limitations that the 70-200 would bring, so 99% of my photos were taken with the 17-50 lens. There were even times that I could have used something a bit wider, but the 17mm worked fine for me. I may leave the 70-200 home on my next trip. There are a lot of low light situations on the ship so I highly recommend a fast lens (I did not bring my 430ex).

Another item that I used often was a polarizer. One thing that I recommend is that you find the deepest colors and back it off a bit. If you don't it can actually make the photo look over saturated in my opinion.

I did not bring a tripod but another photographer on our ship had one. It came in handy for him one night when we got off the ship and took long exposures of the boat. Other than that I did not see any use for one.

Plenty of cards. I took 4 CF cards with me. I ended up taking more video that I had planned and it really ate through my cards. In the end I had enough, but I had to keep an eye on it. One thing that I did at each new island/port is to take a photo of the daily cruise news letter with the name of the island on it. That would provide me an idea of what the days photos originated from (I took over 800 photos).

Just my observations - hope it may help someone who is going on their first cruise!
This ad block will go away when you log in as member
Old 22nd of April 2012 (Sun)   #2
tipidsale

Default Re: Observations on Cruise & Photography

Thanks for the share, I am planning for my first family cruise and you just answered most of my questions.
tipidsale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd of April 2012 (Mon)   #3
RPCrowe
Cream of the Crop

I won't travel without my photo equipment. Here is my kit for ALL TRAVEL PHOTOGRAPHY - Anyplace I go:

Cameras: two 1.6x Canon DSLR's (presently a 40D and a 7D)

Lenses: 17-55mm f/2.8 IS, 70-200mm f/4L IS and a Tokina 12-24mm f/4. The wide angle is nice for photography aboard ship. I usually leave it aboard the ship when I visit land...

Teleconverter: I will carry a 1.4x TC but, I use it very infrequently. I use it more often when I am carrying my 300mm f/4L IS for wildlife...

Case: Lowepro Mini Trekker backpack for traveling - I shoot with a photo vest and no case

Straps: I use an OPTECH dual harness for both cameras

Flash: 430EX and 270EX - I use my flash extensively both indoors and for fill outdoors. I wish the 270EX were the Mark-II model because that has slave capability. If It was the Mark-II; I would carry my 550EX instead of the 430EX so I could use it as a master.

Monopod: Calumet graphite with Kirk MPA-1 Tilt Head

Tripod: A modified SLIK Pro 330DX which weighs 2-pounds after modification. Note: whether I cary the tripod depends on how and where I am traveling. It fits into my carry-on luggage bag. All cameras and lenses with tripod mounts are equipped with Arca Compatible QR systems...

Batteries: 3 batteries for each camera plus appropriate chargers. 12 AA Eneloop batteries for the flashes plus charger

CF cards: A great many

Lens hoods and CPL filters for each lens, 1-ND filter

Remotes

This kit is reasonably light in weight and has worked all over the world for me!

However, if I were to travel to an area such as Yellowstone, Africa or Alaska where wildlife photography would be likely, I will carry longer lenses: 300mm f/4L IS or 400mm f/5.6L (or both for Africa) and a more sturdy tripod.

I don't shoot a lot of video with my 7D but, I do use it at the lowest resolution as an identifier for my still images and to record the guides information on tours...

My wife always carries a small notebook computer to keep up with her email. I use that to download my images, do a cursory check to ensure no equipment is malfunctioning and then I copy the images to a pair of small physical size but, large capacity external hard drives.

Our next cruise will be up to Alaska but, next year, I will go to Istanbul...

See my China images at the link below...

If my Mini Trekker is too heavy for carry-on (China internal airlines had a 5-Kilo weight restriction), I just put a couple of items into my photo vest when checking in.
EQUIPMENT: Two Canon 7D cameras plus Canon D60 camera modified for full-time IR; Tokina 12-24mm f/4, 50mm f/1.8 Mark-I, 17-55mm f/2.8 IS, Tamron 90mm f/2.8 Macro, 135mm f/2.8 Soft Focus, 70-200mm f/4L IS, 300mm f/4L IS, and 400mm f/5.6L lenses;

Last edited by RPCrowe : 23rd of April 2012 (Mon) at 14:49.
RPCrowe is offline   Reply With Quote
This ad block will go away when you log in as member
Old 25th of April 2012 (Wed)   #4
firefighter4u

Quote:
Originally Posted by tipidsale View Post
Thanks for the share, I am planning for my first family cruise and you just answered most of my questions.
Glad I could help. Enjoy your cruise!
Old 4th of May 2012 (Fri)   #5
alancanon

Quote:
Originally Posted by firefighter4u View Post
I just came back (to possible 12 inches of snow tomorrow) from a 10 day Caribbean cruise (our first cruise). I thought I would provide my opinions and observations regarding photography and going on a cruise.

First question that many ask is should they even take their DSLR. IMO the answer is yes. You bought the camera as a tool to take fantastic photos, why would you not take it? I have a lowpro back back that carried my 7d, 17-50 lens and my 70-200 lens. I just brought it on the plane as a cary on - no issues at all. I also used the lowpro to keep bottled water when touring the islands.

The next common question is what lens should I bring? As I mentioned before I brought the 17-50 and 70-200. I soon discovered the limitations that the 70-200 would bring, so 99% of my photos were taken with the 17-50 lens. There were even times that I could have used something a bit wider, but the 17mm worked fine for me. I may leave the 70-200 home on my next trip. There are a lot of low light situations on the ship so I highly recommend a fast lens (I did not bring my 430ex).

Another item that I used often was a polarizer. One thing that I recommend is that you find the deepest colors and back it off a bit. If you don't it can actually make the photo look over saturated in my opinion.

I did not bring a tripod but another photographer on our ship had one. It came in handy for him one night when we got off the ship and took long exposures of the boat. Other than that I did not see any use for one.

Plenty of cards. I took 4 CF cards with me. I ended up taking more video that I had planned and it really ate through my cards. In the end I had enough, but I had to keep an eye on it. One thing that I did at each new island/port is to take a photo of the daily cruise news letter with the name of the island on it. That would provide me an idea of what the days photos originated from (I took over 800 photos).

Just my observations - hope it may help someone who is going on their first cruise!
i have a question for you, did you go on any excursions while you were on the island, i am taking a cruise in July and my wife has all these water activities planed for us did the cruise live provide security for your belongings?
Old 6th of May 2012 (Sun)   #6
firefighter4u

We did a couple of excursions. Mostly sightseeing because my son just had surgery and was not supposed to get wet. Fortunately I could bring my camera on every excursion that we did. I'm sorry I can not be any more help. My suggestion would be that if you are in doubt, then leave the camera behind and bring a water proof film camera for those occasions. Enjoy your cruise, it was 10 days of the most relaxing time I have had in many years.
Old 6th of May 2012 (Sun)   #7
whmeltonjr

This was really helpful. I'm going on a cruise this Saturday, and plan to take my kit with me as it isn't that big.