Canon Digital Photography Forums  

Go Back   Canon Digital Photography Forums > 'Equipment Talk' section > Small Compact Digitals by Canon
Register Rules FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 5th of May 2012 (Sat)   #1
DonDuke

Default Fill Flash?

Anyone know if there is any provision for fill flash on the SX40 HS ? Or do I need to use an auxiliary unit on the hot shoe?
DonDuke is offline   Reply With Quote
This ad block will go away when you log in as member
Old 5th of May 2012 (Sat)   #2
dan_bgblue

Default Re: Fill Flash?

I have no experience with the model camera you mention, but I have used the pop up flash on my S5IS a lot for fill against a bright background. It works well out to about 12-15 feet. I just put the camera in auto mode, set ISO to 100, set the metering to cover the frame to prevent the blown out background, over ride the automatic flash detection and force it to fire when the shutter is pressed. Works well enough for me. I do have a speedlight flash that I will use if the subjects are further away, and if I have it with me. Only time I carry it with the camera is when I know I will be shooting indoors with little ambient light.
Old 7th of May 2012 (Mon)   #3
LincsRP

Default Re: Fill Flash?

Page 98 of the manual gives you instructions on how to use flash compensation and slow synchro. Is this what you're looking for?
This ad block will go away when you log in as member