Canon Digital Photography Forums  

Go Back   Canon Digital Photography Forums > 'Sharing Knowhow' section > The Business of Photography
Register Rules FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 9th of August 2011 (Tue)   #1
duck60d

Default QR code generator

I'm looking to create a QR code generator. Can you please recommend me a safe website to make one.

Once you have create a code can you change a different web address using the same code? Or do you have to create a new code? For example lets say you have a code so it links to your business website but later you want to use the same code to link to you facebook page. Can it be done?
Old 9th of August 2011 (Tue)   #2
Zolth

Default Re: QR code generator

http://qrcode.kaywa.com/

Not sure about all that linking stuff, but this one was the first I came across. Hope it helps!
Zolth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th of August 2011 (Tue)   #3
zhelfrich

no you cannot edit the destination with the same code.

every new destination lets say i make a code to come to this forum it will generate the code. but then lets say i want to edit the destination to bring it to the business of photography section would require generating a new code.
Old 9th of August 2011 (Tue)   #4
Mike
ugly when I'm sober

QR Droid is a good android app for this...if you have a droid phone/tablet.
flickr Blog 5∞px

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes? ::: A closed mouth gathers no foot.
Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th of August 2011 (Tue)   #5
ClickHappy

You can create a dummy path on your site for this. Have the QR code link to yoursite.com/QR1 on your site and have that redirect to the final destination or create a landing page there with links to the other services.

You can add other paths like /QR2 /QR3 later for tracking purposes to see which works best if you're putting them on mailers/business cards/ whatever.

Redirects can be a simple META refresh or more elaborate page that tracks each visit in a database (using ASP / .NET / PHP code) and then redirects. You'll need FTP access to your server to create the dummy paths, or if your host provides it, an online file manager, etc.
Old 11th of August 2011 (Thu)   #6
ben_r_
-POTN's Three legged Support-

Pretty cool. I had never really looked into this nor looked up a generator before. Thanks for posting.
Old 12th of August 2011 (Fri)   #7
JWright
Planes, trains and ham radio...

Being somewhat of a luddite and stuck in the "dumb phone" era, I had to look this up...
Old 5th of May 2012 (Sat)   #8
RichSoansPhotos
Cream of the Crop

Quote:
Originally Posted by duck60d View Post
I'm looking to create a QR code generator. Can you please recommend me a safe website to make one.

Once you have create a code can you change a different web address using the same code? Or do you have to create a new code? For example lets say you have a code so it links to your business website but later you want to use the same code to link to you facebook page. Can it be done?

I have an iPhone app that generates a QR Code, best of all, its free. Just search for QRReader in the iTunes app store
Compact: Canon G12 (Website exists, but waiting update)
RichSoansPhotos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th of May 2012 (Sat)   #9
brett201

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClickHappy View Post
You can create a dummy path on your site for this. Have the QR code link to yoursite.com/QR1 on your site and have that redirect to the final destination or create a landing page there with links to the other services.

You can add other paths like /QR2 /QR3 later for tracking purposes to see which works best if you're putting them on mailers/business cards/ whatever.

Redirects can be a simple META refresh or more elaborate page that tracks each visit in a database (using ASP / .NET / PHP code) and then redirects. You'll need FTP access to your server to create the dummy paths, or if your host provides it, an online file manager, etc.
very interesting, I am glad I checked out this thread. So this way, you could create special, time sensitive offers and change them as needed and whoever scans a code created whenever, goes to a current offer.

Is there a reason, one I am possibly not seeing, for NOT creating a code to direct prospects to a home page?
brett201 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th of May 2012 (Sat)   #10
PinballBlizzard

Nothing compares to the standard Google QR Generator.

http://*******/

EDIT: for some reason the link is blocked... it's WWW.GOO[DOT]GL
PinballBlizzard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th of May 2012 (Mon)   #11
ClickHappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by brett201 View Post
Is there a reason, one I am possibly not seeing, for NOT creating a code to direct prospects to a home page?
If you're not concerned with tracking or don't want to deal with managing the redirects, then linking to the home page is fine. Advertising folks will tell you that you should get people in front of what they are searching for ASAP, and you'd probably have better luck sending them to a dedicated page.
Old 7th of May 2012 (Mon)   #12
Bishop Gideon

Quote:
Originally Posted by brett201 View Post
If you direct them to a landing page, you can use the analytics to have a better idea how well the QR codes are working. If you advertise anywhere you should have a separate page for each advertisement. That way you can guage what works, and what doesn't.

You'll see this in different magazines and tv advertisements at times. "Go to www.widget.com/tvoffer" or "Go to www.widget.com/magazine".

It really depends on what you want to do. If you want to get stats of how well it's working, create a landing page. If you want to jsut get people to your website and don't care about stats, then just push them to your main page.

OH, ONE BIG THING TO REMEMBER!!! These people are most likely coming from phones. How well does your website render on a phone? Think that through. Does your website require flash? Whoops, there goes the iPhone market. Does your website have a set height and width? Whoops, Blackberry's don't handle that very well.

And to toot my own horn a bit, I had the idea of putting together a site that would create QR codes for you and allow you to change where they point to whenever you wanted. Also, it would track how many people used your QR code. Maybe I should go ahead with the website, but market it specifically to photographers... hmmm....
Sears 32B :: 58mm f/1.7 - 135mm f/2.8
http://www.DigitalFreeze.com
Bishop Gideon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th of February 2013 (Mon)   #13
Picture North Carolina
Gaaaaa! DOH!! Oops!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bishop Gideon View Post
Does your website have a set height and width? Whoops, Blackberry's don't handle that very well.
So if a website is designed inside a table of set width, it will be a blackberry problem?
Picture North Carolina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th of February 2013 (Tue)   #14
ryanshoots

Who the hell actually scans QR codes? You have no clue where they'll take you. In today's world of phishing, viruses, and other fraud, I don't see the draw for consumers.

ClickHappy also makes the point that a QR code that goes to a safe place today may not tomorrow because if set it up right you can redirect the traffic anywhere you want.

http://picturesofpeoplescanningqrcodes.tumblr.com/
ryanshoots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th of February 2013 (Tue)   #15
Fester

Doesnt QR codes create a barcode like emblem? To change the info or on a QR code you need to recreate or generate a new Emblem?
The one I have on my service vans is just info: name address phone number website.
Nothing unsafew about that.
So if you scan me on your cell phone I become a contact listing, should yo uwish ot save it.
Fester is offline   Reply With Quote