Canon Digital Photography Forums  

Go Back   Canon Digital Photography Forums > 'Equipment Talk' section > Canon G-series Digital Cameras
Register Rules FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 6th of May 2012 (Sun)   #1
Judder Man

Default Users Survey of the Canon G1x

Just thought I would create this thread out of curiosity on what users think of this camera now by means of a short survey. We should have enough users now to give some practical profile of this model from canon.

1 Which format do you find you are using most RAW or JPEG.
2 What means of vision are you using most VIEWFINDER or VIEWSCREEN
3 How do you operate ISO by AUTO or MANUAL.
4 What is your main function with this camera LANDSCAPE, URBAN, PORTRAIT.
5 Which annoys you most FOCUS TIME, SHUTTER LAG, CAMERA SHUT DOWN.
6 What 2 important features you would like to see on the Mk 2 version.
7 Based on your experience using this camera would you still buy it.
8 On image quality alone is the G1x good value for money.
9 If you have a DSLR has the G1x changed your approach to photography
10 You review this camera what rating would you give 70-80-90% etc.

Hope the questions are not intrusive, just interested in how users see this camera in its current form.

An Image in Time is a Stepping Stone to Eternity
Judder Man is offline   Reply With Quote
This ad block will go away when you log in as member
Old 6th of May 2012 (Sun)   #2
GordonSBuck

Default Re: Users Survey of the Canon G1x

Quote:
Originally Posted by Judder Man View Post
1. RAW
2. Viewscreen
3. Manual ISO
4. No particular genre
5. Shutter lag
6. Reduced shutter lag; incorporate DSLR flash features
7. yes
8. yes
9. no
10. need more clearly defined rules before I'd give the G1X a rating but it would be a high rating
GordonSBuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th of May 2012 (Sun)   #3
Broadway53

My responses would mirror those of GordonSBuck above. I bought the G1x for travel when I don't want to lug the 7D and two lens with me. So far it's been fabulous (especially the image quality) and I'm glad I bought it.
Old 6th of May 2012 (Sun)   #4
Luckypenguin

1. RAW. It seems completely daft that jpeg customisation is disabled when "RAW + jpeg" is selected. If the camera allowed this I might experiment with the jpegs a bit more, but it doesn't so I don't.

2. Does the G1X have a viewfinder? There's a glass hole near the top of the camera but I don't know what it does. Seriously though, using live view and seeing exactly what the sensor is seeing is one of the greatest advantages of these types of camera.

3. The G1X is the first camera that I felt comfortable using auto ISO with, however the G1X does seem to have a lot of faith in it's IS system and will let the shutter speed get quite low before bumping the ISO. If a higher shutter speed is critical I will use manual ISO or use Tv mode.

4. Anything and everything. I don't really assign a particular role to a camera.

5. Focus speed x1000. Once the lens is pre-focused the shutter lag is fine, it's the focusing that slows everything down.

6. Ditch the OVF entirely and instead include a) a built-in EVF or b) an accessory EVF,
Replace the horrible squish-click shutter button with a proper click-click button,
Plus lots of niggling firmware fixable annoyances in operation and customisation.

7. Yes, with reservations described below

8. Absolutely

9. Compared to a DSLR, the G1X offers much more flexibility in terms of composition, and offers continuous feedback with the preview of the final image through use of the live view screen as well as overlay of useful shooting information (e.g. histograms, level indicators).

10. 51% (Harsh, I know. See below)

I like the G1X and am seriously impressed with lens/sensor combination and as a result the image quality. My 51% rating is due to the fact that Canon seems to have deliberately handicapped the camera to protect their considerable investment in DSLRs as THE camera for the "serious" photographer. Nikon has done a similar thing with positioning their 1-series cameras below their entry-level DSLRs. One of the best things about the G1X is that it is made by Canon. One of the worst things about the G1X is that it is made by Canon. For as along as DSLRs (and therefore Canon) remain the dominant force in higher-end cameras, there will be no motivation for them to make the G1X or anything that follows it as good as it could be. Olympus, Panasonic, Fuji, Sony, Samsung and Ricoh are the companies currently prepared to seriously push the boundaries of compact cameras because none bar Sony have any existing systems left to protect. Pentax is currently neither here nor there with which direction they want to pursue.

G1X (last Canon standing)
Luckypenguin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th of May 2012 (Sun)   #5
Judder Man

My input to the above:

1 JPEG at the moment due to its great processor.

2. VIEWSCREEN thought it might be 50/50 but in reality 99%, swivel screen is great.

3. Manual ISO very workable @ 1600.

4. Probably URBAN will be my main street photography camera due to it's discreetness.

5. FOCUS TIME , inconsistent, sometimes locks on quick sometimes very slow.

6. More wide angle. 24mm equivalent perhaps.

7. YES for a fixed zoom lens with this IQ there is not really anything superior.

8. YES now the prices have lowered.

9. YES changed the viewing perspective, can shoot at ground zero and positions a DSLR can,t reach.

10. Probably about 80% don,t think there is a strong competitor out there for a fixed zoom lens with this quality of IQ, but there are still improvements required.

I think Canon have been very clever here, they have avoided the battle with Fuji and Sony by not having an interchangeable lens system. They have left out features to reduce the effect of market share on its DSLR cameras. Have targeted the experienced photographer who wants a bit more than point and shoot by offering great IQ but with limitations. Any improvements required highlighted by the above users could mean there is still a future from this type of camera by canon.

Old 6th of May 2012 (Sun)   #6
jmschwartz

1. JPEG
2. VIEWSCREEN
3. AUTO ISO
4. LANDSCAPE
5. NONE
6. faster glass; wider zoom range
7. yes
8. yes (coming from an X100)
9. not as much as the X100 did . . . all good, BTW
10. 80% (4 stars in Moscow)
jmschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th of May 2012 (Sun)   #7
skipworthjg

1. Tend to use JPEG with a smattering of JPEG+RAW. When using JPEG only, I will use Vivid or Positive colors as I like the punchy nature of the colors compared to normal.
2. 99% view screen. I'll be going out west in a month, so I imagine I'll have some more viewfinder. I cannot imagine any less than 90% view screen regardless.
3. Auto ISO but set a max at 400 or 800. Will use manual ISO when I feel needed, particularly inside or in the evening.
4. landscape primarily although I do take a lot of photos of my girls.
5. Focus. I had a Nikon 1 prior to the G1X so it's like taking several steps back. I knew that going in as the Nikon 1 focus system is viewed as pretty special.
6. A little longer telephoto length. Quicker focus.
7. Absolutely. It's expensive. It's got some issues. It has the best IQ I have ever had with a camera.
8. Absolutely. The IQ is why I left the Nikon 1. I like a lot about operation of the 1, but at the end of the day, IQ was lacking.
9. I don't have a DSLR
10. 90%. Not bad for a first generation camera.

Also Judder Man, I would like to take this opportunity to thank you for your excellent pictures you post. They inspire me to get out there and try to take some of my own. But that's the point isn't it?

Best regards
skipworthjg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th of May 2012 (Sun)   #8
tinfire

RAW using ACR but surprised how good DPP is.
Jpegs are too saturated and colours are off especially yellow.

Viewfinder for moving objects and slow shutter speeds.

Usually Auto

Probably Landscape so far.

Not bothered by any of these.

Stop dumbing down the firmware to protect the DSLR Market.
Allow proper RAW+Jpeg processing in camera. Move away from the G Series Body styling and add Macro and a Hybrid Viewfinder.

Probably not. It feels like a work in progress testing the Market.
I would expect a replacement soon if it's a success but not sure if many have sold so far.

Not at the price I paid. At UK Price 500 it becomes a fairer deal. I also have a Lumix G3 and that is good value and better IQ at ISO 1600

No

75% but if the firmware is revised to match the DSLR Range then it would get higher

LATER
Perhaps my feeling that the G1X is just a test bed is going to be justified. Here's a link to a new ILC that may use the same sensor http://www.canonwatch.com/tag/g1x/

Last edited by tinfire : 7th of May 2012 (Mon) at 07:32.
tinfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th of May 2012 (Sun)   #9
Varago

1. for protraits raw+jpg everything else jpg
2. Viewscreen 90%, OVF 10%
3. Auto ISO
4. portrait
5. Shutter lag
6. Reduced shutter lag, DSLR flash features
7. yes
8. yes
9. no
10. 4 out of 5 stars , 80%

After I used the G1x for a month then needed the 7D for the speed, holly molly what a difference

Dave
Sigma 50A 1.4, 18-35A 1.8 , 24-70 2.8 HSM, 50-150 2.8 OS HSM, 2X EX DG
Varago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th of May 2012 (Mon)   #10
C4SMT

1 RAW.
2 Viewscreen.
3 Both, depending on the situation.
4 Landscape, Urban and Portrait.
5 Shutter Lag, it's very frustrating at times!!
6 Improved shutter lag, wider angle 24mm or better, plus a more minor point for me, faster AF. A faster lens at the long end would be nice as well.
7 Probably.
8 Yes, but I paid 490 for mine. I don't think it is worth 700 and would not have paid that for it.
9 No.
10 7/10 - 70% for what it is - a pocketable Point and Shoot with great IQ.

The G1 X is good and has it's place, but is far from perfect and for me, no way does it replace DSLR's such as my 5D MKII or 7D. I had said previously that I if I had to get rid of one of my cameras, I wasn't sure if it would be the G1 X or 7D. After using the G1 X a bit more, I would definetely keep the 7D. I agree with what others have said in that Canon have probably not made the G1 X as good as it could be to protect their DSLR sales. Maybe in the future pressure from the competition will force them to rethink this strategy. Also, you never know a firmware update may address some of the 'problems'? Fuji seem to have done this with their X10 and X100.

Simon.

Last edited by C4SMT : 7th of May 2012 (Mon) at 04:48.
C4SMT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th of May 2012 (Mon)   #11
datune

RAW

VIEWSCREEN

AUTO

Difficult to select just one, but if I had to, PORTRAIT I guess.

Focus time, no question. Also, I don't understand why it literally takes 2-3 seconds before I can shoot the next picture.

Much faster focus and less lag between taking pictures.

Yes, unless I had the money for the 5dMkiii along with two L lenses

Without a shadow of a doubt, yes.

No DLSR.

Difficult since I am obviously biased, but since at the end of the day IQ is what matters most, I think 90% would be fair. Battery life could be a tiny bit longer (not that it ever was a problem so far) and at this price, the filter adapter should be included free of charge, but I guess we have capitalism to thanks for that
datune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th of May 2012 (Mon)   #12
wilerty

My response ...

Quote:
Just thought I would create this thread out of curiosity on what users think of this camera now by means of a short survey. We should have enough users now to give some practical profile of this model from canon.

1 Which format do you find you are using most RAW or JPEG. JPEG
2 What means of vision are you using most VIEWFINDER or VIEWSCREEN 100%screen
3 How do you operate ISO by AUTO or MANUAL. Mostly Auto
4 What is your main function with this camera LANDSCAPE, URBAN, PORTRAIT. Urban
5 Which annoys you most FOCUS TIME, SHUTTER LAG, CAMERA SHUT DOWN. Focus time ... by far
6 What 2 important features you would like to see on the Mk 2 version. Faster focus and frame to frame
7 Based on your experience using this camera would you still buy it. Yes
8 On image quality alone is the G1x good value for money. Absolutely
9 If you have a DSLR has the G1x changed your approach to photography Sold my 60D
10 You review this camera what rating would you give 70-80-90% etc. 80% ... IQ at 95%

Hope the questions are not intrusive, just interested in how users see this camera in its current form.

| Olympus OM-D M5 | Canon G1 X | S95 | 320EX |
wilerty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th of May 2012 (Tue)   #13
liongate

I prefer to shoot RAW+JPEG at all times. It's a lot easier to fix minor mistakes and I prefer to have the high degree of flexibility that RAW provides. On the other hand, if I get it right in the camera I like to use the JPEG converted in the camera as it is a better conversion according to what I've read.

Let's face it -- the viewfinder on the G1 X sucks, and that's what the screen is for. Also, I wear glasses and using the viewfinder with glasses on is a PITA, so I prefer the screen.

When using P mode I set my AUTO ISO to a maximum of 400 so to keep it from getting grainy. When shooting Manual, however, I adjust it manually.

I intend to do portraits, landscape and travel photography with this camera.

None of these have been a big issue for me thus far, but if I had to choose I'd say it's shutter lag.

1: I'd want consistency in the dials, or at least the ability to make them consistent. I want the rear dial to be ALWAYS aperture, and the front dial to be ALWAYS shutter speed, or vice versa, regardless of mode.
2: This camera needs to be able to focus closer with or without the Macro setting, plain and simple. That's my biggest gripe about the camera.

Yes, it does what I need it to do and performs as expected.

Not particularly. Great camera, but very expensive for a point & shoot with limited macro capabilities.

9 If you have a DSLR has the G1x changed your approach to photography.
No. My DSLR is a 20D and I needed more megapixels for Microstock, which this camera will provide. By and large, my approach will be the same, though.

85%
liongate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th of May 2012 (Thu)   #14
Judder Man

Couple of more extra survey questions more development based.

1 Would you like to see the lens slightly wider, slightly longer or both.
2 From a high ISO point of view which value are you comfortable with....1600, 2400, 3200 etc.
3 What functions do you think are unnessary HDR, Fish Eye etc.
4 Which mode do you use most, do you make use of the C1, C2 settings.
5 If the mk 11 came with faster focus, reduced shutter and shorter focussing distance would you buy it.

Old 17th of May 2012 (Thu)   #15
snead

Quote:

1. Manual
2. Viewscreen
3. ISO Manual
4. Urban
5. No Problems
6. Lens 24-105, Improved OVF
7. Yes
8. Better Value than Fuji X100
9. Don't use my DSLRs as often
10. 90%
snead is offline   Reply With Quote