Canon Digital Photography Forums  

Go Back   Canon Digital Photography Forums > 'Sharing Knowhow' section > RAW, Post Processing and Printing
Register Rules FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 7th of May 2012 (Mon)   #46
tonylong
do I really have to respond?

Default Re: iMac or PC

I wonder -- aside from the partisan bickering, is the OP getting any useful help/info?
Wildlife project pics here, Biking Photog shoots here, "Suburbia" project here! Mount St. Helens, Mount Hood pics here
tonylong is offline   Reply With Quote
This ad block will go away when you log in as member
Old 8th of May 2012 (Tue)   #47
René Damkot

Quote:
Originally Posted by eaglesnest View Post
Since most plugins and programs I have (exept for "Aperture") are available in PC. Should I stick with iMac (cost almost double the price) or cross the floor to PC? I know there are pros and cons for everything. Thanks for the input.
What software?

For instance: a Lightroom license is cross-platform.
PSCSx is not. So you'd need to cross-grade or buy a new version…

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonylong View Post
I wonder -- aside from the partisan bickering, is the OP getting any useful help/info?
Good question

Why Color Management.
Color Problems? Click here.

MySpace
Get Colormanaged
Twitter

PERSONAL MESSAGING REGARDING SELLING OR BUYING ITEMS WITH MEMBERS WHO HAVE NO POSTS IN FORUMS AND/OR WHO YOU DO NOT KNOW FROM FORUMS IS HEREBY DECLARED STRICTLY STUPID AND YOU WILL GET BURNED.
René Damkot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th of May 2012 (Tue)   #48
Ricku
User is banned from forums

Anyone who tells you to choose PC over Mac, has probably not spent much time with a Mac or seen the benefits of OSX. I have been a radical PC supporter for 14 years of my life. I even used to say things like "mac sucks", e.t.c.. But 3 years ago I decided to give Apple a chance. Now I'm on an Imac and a Macbook pro, and I never look back.

My office run both PC's and Mac's and by far people like working on the Mac more. They are fast, reliable and stable.

Sure, PC might be good for gaming and such things, but for work and photo editing, Mac is the way to go.

Last edited by Ricku : 8th of May 2012 (Tue) at 07:43.
Ricku is offline   Reply With Quote
This ad block will go away when you log in as member
Old 8th of May 2012 (Tue)   #49
smooth3000

I use a PC for all of my photography work and a MacBook pro for dj'ing.
If you can build your own pc then go for it and save yourself up to 50% or so depending on what type of hardware you desire.
Old 8th of May 2012 (Tue)   #50
Numenorean
Goldmember

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricku View Post
Anyone who tells you to choose PC over Mac, has probably not spent much time with a Mac or seen the benefits of OSX. I have been a radical PC supporter for 14 years of my life. I even used to say things like "mac sucks", e.t.c.. But 3 years ago I decided to give Apple a chance. Now I'm on an Imac and a Macbook pro, and I never look back.

My office run both PC's and Mac's and by far people like working on the Mac more. They are fast, reliable and stable.

Sure, PC might be good for gaming and such things, but for work and photo editing, Mac is the way to go.
My PC's have been fast, reliable and stable for as long as I can remember. I think the last time I had any sort of crashing was Windows 98, and it was driver issues which was the fault of a 3rd party (Creative). I ran Win2K a lot and had a month-long 3D animated movie rendering going on a PC at one time and it never crashed.

Contrary to this, when I was forced to have to use Macs they were slow and crashed a lot - especially in Photoshop.

Sure, Mac might be good for looking nicer on your desk and add to your feng shui or whatever, but for doing actual work and photo editing, PC is the way to go.
Old 8th of May 2012 (Tue)   #51
tupper
Tupperware Party Sheep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Numenorean View Post

Contrary to this, when I was forced to have to use Macs they were slow and crashed a lot - especially in Photoshop.
The word forced makes this statement interesting. If forced to use something you are 'against' your going to look for things that make it look bad right? Same if you put all the Mac users here on a PC, they'd pick the crappy Windows OS apart.
O-MD - 20 1.7 - 50 1.8 - 135 3.5

ewantupper.com - facebook fanpage - twitter - 500px
tupper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th of May 2012 (Tue)   #52
Numenorean
Goldmember

Quote:
Originally Posted by tupper View Post
The word forced makes this statement interesting. If forced to use something you are 'against' your going to look for things that make it look bad right? Same if you put all the Mac users here on a PC, they'd pick the crappy Windows OS apart.
I preferred to use my PC since it was faster, however in the classroom all they had was Macs so that's what I had to use. I wasn't really forced physically or anything lol. Anyway, the experience was maddening. They had Wacom's and simply making a stroke with the pen would take 5-10 seconds for it to show up on the screen, Photoshop crashed a lot, all sorts of crap.

I would have been fine using them if they had been similar in speed and reliability to my PC. And it wasn't just one - everyone had these problems. I had no need to look for things to make it look bad.
Old 8th of May 2012 (Tue)   #53
Tony-S
Cream of the Crop

I've been using Macs with Photoshop and a Wacom tablet for years and I've never had such a problem.

In addition, one area where Macs exceed Windows is in gpu image processing. Aperture is faster than Lightroom and Pixelmator is faster than Photoshop. Both apps make extensive use of the gpu cores and vRAM such that if you have a decent graphics cards they can do just about any rendering in real-time.
Tony-S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th of May 2012 (Tue)   #54
smooth3000

See this thread about PC builds
http://photography-on-the.net/forum/...d.php?t=576828
Old 8th of May 2012 (Tue)   #55
Tonyz
User is banned from forums

I have both, but for photo and video editing I prefer to work on my mac, mainly because of the reliability, speed and pleasant workflow experience.

The more I use my mac, the more I hate my PC. :P I only use it for games nowdays.
Tonyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th of May 2012 (Tue)   #56
NeverFollow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Numenorean View Post
I preferred to use my PC since it was faster, however in the classroom all they had was Macs so that's what I had to use. I wasn't really forced physically or anything lol. Anyway, the experience was maddening. They had Wacom's and simply making a stroke with the pen would take 5-10 seconds for it to show up on the screen, Photoshop crashed a lot, all sorts of crap.

I would have been fine using them if they had been similar in speed and reliability to my PC. And it wasn't just one - everyone had these problems. I had no need to look for things to make it look bad.

Well PC or MAC....school computers are like rent-a-cars. They work great when their new, but a lot of wear and tear gets put on them fast. I remember back in high school kids would have competitions to see who could break the computer first. I remember one day a kid opened as many windows as he could. When the teacher caught him he said he was making a collage hahah
NeverFollow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th of May 2012 (Tue)   #57
AAphotog

About 6 years ago I was soooooo anti mac. I used to think F Mac their too expensive for the same things. Then for some reason I bought a 17" macbook pro(about 5 years ago) I couldnt Possibly go back to a windows system. Macs are just plain easy! Their nice to look at, better to work with, and with the exception of one of my hard drives being replaced I've had ZERO issues with my macs. I've had 2 imacs 1 15"macbook pro, 1 17" macbook pro & a 13" macbook. Thats unheard of for a PC. Seems like I had to fix something every few months on every PC I've had.Even with the same hardware, mac just uses it so much more efficiently.

Last edited by AAphotog : 8th of May 2012 (Tue) at 13:40.
AAphotog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th of May 2012 (Tue)   #58
Nightstalker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricku View Post
Anyone who tells you to choose PC over Mac, has probably not spent much time with a Mac or seen the benefits of OSX.
A serious question if I may - what benefits?

I have PC and a Hackintosh so use both Win7 and OSX and am familiar with both but I am very interested to understand what benefits you see in OSX.
Nightstalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th of May 2012 (Tue)   #59
AAphotog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightstalker View Post
A serious question if I may - what benefits?

I have PC and a Hackintosh so use both Win7 and OSX and am familiar with both but I am very interested to understand what benefits you see in OSX.
They last! yes, Mac might be twice as expensive, but when you have to trouble shoot the PC atleast twice in the first year while the Mac can be used without issue for YEARS to come, that alone is worth the hefty price tag.
AAphotog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th of May 2012 (Tue)   #60
Titus213
Cream of the Crop

My desktop is a $900 i7 quad with 12 gig of memory.

My monitor is a $900 27 inch hi-res IPS panel.

They just happen to be in the same box and that box has an apple on the front.

When I got it I took it out of the box, plugged in the power, and within 10 minutes I was up and running on the internet. There was no un-ordered software to be deleted, no trial packages, no virus sales pitches, and no issues with transferring data from my PC. What was installed worked as advertised. And as a long time PC user that was more than enough to convince me that my move to an iMac was good for me.

When the new OS X Lion system came out I bought it online, downloaded it, and installed it. No reformatting my HD and no loss of data.

When my HD died it took the folks at the Apple store 2 days (one of those a Sunday) to get it fixed and back to me. It took another few hours to bring all the backup information in from my TimeMachine drive and I was back up to where I left off.

Are they trouble free? Get real, what is today? Expensive? Yup. Worth it? You bet!

Titus213 is offline   Reply With Quote