iMac or PC

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing
Thread started 04 May 2012 (Friday) 09:13   
LIST NEARBY THREADS

tonylong
do I really have to respond?
Joined Sep 2007
53,001 posts
Vancouver, WA USA
[MORE/SHARE]

I wonder -- aside from the partisan bickering, is the OP getting any useful help/info:)?

Post #46, May 07, 2012 12:56:14

Tony
Two Canon cameras (5DC, 30D), three Canon lenses (24-105, 100-400, 100mm macro)
Tony Long Photos on PBaseexternal link
Wildlife project pics hereexternal link, Biking Photog shoots hereexternal link, "Suburbia" project hereexternal link! Mount St. Helens, Mount Hood pics hereexternal link

sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)
René ­ Damkot
Cream of the Crop
Joined Feb 2005
39,854 posts
enschede, netherlands
[MORE/SHARE]

eaglesnest wrote in post #14378268external link
Since most plugins and programs I have (exept for "Aperture") are available in PC. Should I stick with iMac (cost almost double the price) or cross the floor to PC? I know there are pros and cons for everything. Thanks for the input.

What software?

For instance: a Lightroom license is cross-platform.
PSCSx is not. So you'd need to cross-grade or buy a new version…

tonylong wrote in post #14393711external link
I wonder -- aside from the partisan bickering, is the OP getting any useful help/info:)?

Good question ;)

Post #47, May 08, 2012 05:47:24

"I think the idea of art kills creativity" - Douglas Adams
Why Color Management.
Color Problems? Click here.
MySpaceexternal link
Get Colormanagedexternal link
Twitterexternal link
PERSONAL MESSAGING REGARDING SELLING OR BUYING ITEMS WITH MEMBERS WHO HAVE NO POSTS IN FORUMS AND/OR WHO YOU DO NOT KNOW FROM FORUMS IS HEREBY DECLARED STRICTLY STUPID AND YOU WILL GET BURNED.

Ricku
Goldmember
Joined Jan 2010
1,295 posts
Bangkok
[MORE/SHARE]
banned

Anyone who tells you to choose PC over Mac, has probably not spent much time with a Mac or seen the benefits of OSX. I have been a radical PC supporter for 14 years of my life. I even used to say things like "mac sucks", e.t.c.. But 3 years ago I decided to give Apple a chance. Now I'm on an Imac and a Macbook pro, and I never look back.

My office run both PC's and Mac's and by far people like working on the Mac more. They are fast, reliable and stable.

Sure, PC might be good for gaming and such things, but for work and photo editing, Mac is the way to go.

Post #48, May 08, 2012 07:34:55 as a reply to post 14382428

5D II 35L 135L 70-200 2.8L II Flickrexternal link

smooth3000
Goldmember
Joined May 2011
1,460 posts
Wichita, KS
[MORE/SHARE]

I use a PC for all of my photography work and a MacBook pro for dj'ing.
If you can build your own pc then go for it and save yourself up to 50% or so depending on what type of hardware you desire.

Post #49, May 08, 2012 08:13:46

Websiteexternal link |Flickrexternal link | Facebookexternal link |Instagramexternal link
5DMK3
6D
Canon Rebel 2000 Film
Pentax 6x7 Asahi Medium Format Film

Numenorean
Goldmember
Joined Feb 2011
4,954 posts
[MORE/SHARE]

Ricku wrote in post #14397932external link
Anyone who tells you to choose PC over Mac, has probably not spent much time with a Mac or seen the benefits of OSX. I have been a radical PC supporter for 14 years of my life. I even used to say things like "mac sucks", e.t.c.. But 3 years ago I decided to give Apple a chance. Now I'm on an Imac and a Macbook pro, and I never look back.

My office run both PC's and Mac's and by far people like working on the Mac more. They are fast, reliable and stable.

Sure, PC might be good for gaming and such things, but for work and photo editing, Mac is the way to go.

My PC's have been fast, reliable and stable for as long as I can remember. I think the last time I had any sort of crashing was Windows 98, and it was driver issues which was the fault of a 3rd party (Creative). I ran Win2K a lot and had a month-long 3D animated movie rendering going on a PC at one time and it never crashed.

Contrary to this, when I was forced to have to use Macs they were slow and crashed a lot - especially in Photoshop.

Sure, Mac might be good for looking nicer on your desk and add to your feng shui or whatever, but for doing actual work and photo editing, PC is the way to go.

Post #50, May 08, 2012 08:23:15

Gear List

sponsored links
tupper
Tupperware Party Sheep
Joined Nov 2007
2,432 posts
Sydney
[MORE/SHARE]

Numenorean wrote in post #14398117external link
Contrary to this, when I was forced to have to use Macs they were slow and crashed a lot - especially in Photoshop.

The word forced makes this statement interesting. If forced to use something you are 'against' your going to look for things that make it look bad right? Same if you put all the Mac users here on a PC, they'd pick the crappy Windows OS apart.

Post #51, May 08, 2012 09:24:32

Ewan
SONY A7r
1N - 5D2 - 15 2.8 - 17-40L- 24LII - 50L - 85 1.8 - 70-200 2.8
O-MD - 20 1.7 - 50 1.8 - 135 3.5

ewantupper.comexternal link - facebook fanpageexternal link - twitterexternal link - 500pxexternal link

Numenorean
Goldmember
Joined Feb 2011
4,954 posts
[MORE/SHARE]

tupper wrote in post #14398412external link
The word forced makes this statement interesting. If forced to use something you are 'against' your going to look for things that make it look bad right? Same if you put all the Mac users here on a PC, they'd pick the crappy Windows OS apart.

I preferred to use my PC since it was faster, however in the classroom all they had was Macs so that's what I had to use. I wasn't really forced physically or anything lol. Anyway, the experience was maddening. They had Wacom's and simply making a stroke with the pen would take 5-10 seconds for it to show up on the screen, Photoshop crashed a lot, all sorts of crap.

I would have been fine using them if they had been similar in speed and reliability to my PC. And it wasn't just one - everyone had these problems. I had no need to look for things to make it look bad.

Post #52, May 08, 2012 09:29:21

Gear List

Tony-S
Cream of the Crop
Joined Jan 2006
9,748 posts
Fort Collins, Colorado, USA
[MORE/SHARE]

I've been using Macs with Photoshop and a Wacom tablet for years and I've never had such a problem.

In addition, one area where Macs exceed Windows is in gpu image processing. Aperture is faster than Lightroom and Pixelmator is faster than Photoshop. Both apps make extensive use of the gpu cores and vRAM such that if you have a decent graphics cards they can do just about any rendering in real-time.

Post #53, May 08, 2012 10:20:48

Gear list
"Raw" is not an acronym, abbreviation, nor a proper noun; thus, it should not be in capital letters.
Zeiss 35/2 for sale.

smooth3000
Goldmember
Joined May 2011
1,460 posts
Wichita, KS
[MORE/SHARE]

See this thread about PC builds
http://photography-on-the.net/forum/showthre​ad.php?t=576828

Post #54, May 08, 2012 11:39:27

Websiteexternal link |Flickrexternal link | Facebookexternal link |Instagramexternal link
5DMK3
6D
Canon Rebel 2000 Film
Pentax 6x7 Asahi Medium Format Film

Tonyz
Joined Oct 2011
223 posts
[MORE/SHARE]
banned

I have both, but for photo and video editing I prefer to work on my mac, mainly because of the reliability, speed and pleasant workflow experience.

The more I use my mac, the more I hate my PC. :P I only use it for games nowdays.

Post #55, May 08, 2012 12:05:08 as a reply to smooth3000's post 25 minutes earlier.

NeverFollow
Goldmember
Joined Jun 2005
1,363 posts
[MORE/SHARE]

Numenorean wrote in post #14398442external link
I preferred to use my PC since it was faster, however in the classroom all they had was Macs so that's what I had to use. I wasn't really forced physically or anything lol. Anyway, the experience was maddening. They had Wacom's and simply making a stroke with the pen would take 5-10 seconds for it to show up on the screen, Photoshop crashed a lot, all sorts of crap.

I would have been fine using them if they had been similar in speed and reliability to my PC. And it wasn't just one - everyone had these problems. I had no need to look for things to make it look bad.

Well PC or MAC....school computers are like rent-a-cars. They work great when their new, but a lot of wear and tear gets put on them fast. I remember back in high school kids would have competitions to see who could break the computer first. I remember one day a kid opened as many windows as he could. When the teacher caught him he said he was making a collage hahah

Post #56, May 08, 2012 13:30:03

www.ckphotoonline.comexternal link
http://ckphotoonline.w​ordpress.com/external link
http://500px.com/ckpho​toonlineexternal link
KCCO

sponsored links
AAphotog
Joined Apr 2012
828 posts
[MORE/SHARE]

About 6 years ago I was soooooo anti mac. I used to think F Mac their too expensive for the same things. Then for some reason I bought a 17" macbook pro(about 5 years ago) I couldnt Possibly go back to a windows system. Macs are just plain easy! Their nice to look at, better to work with, and with the exception of one of my hard drives being replaced I've had ZERO issues with my macs. I've had 2 imacs 1 15"macbook pro, 1 17" macbook pro & a 13" macbook. Thats unheard of for a PC. Seems like I had to fix something every few months on every PC I've had.Even with the same hardware, mac just uses it so much more efficiently.

Post #57, May 08, 2012 13:34:01

5d3, 50mm 1.4, 70-200mm F4 L, 17-40mm F4 L
But hey, they say it's not the gear right:rolleyes:

Nightstalker
Goldmember
Joined Feb 2007
1,656 posts
North West UK
[MORE/SHARE]

Ricku wrote in post #14397932external link
Anyone who tells you to choose PC over Mac, has probably not spent much time with a Mac or seen the benefits of OSX.

A serious question if I may - what benefits?

I have PC and a Hackintosh so use both Win7 and OSX and am familiar with both but I am very interested to understand what benefits you see in OSX.

Post #58, May 08, 2012 13:42:25

AAphotog
Joined Apr 2012
828 posts
[MORE/SHARE]

Nightstalker wrote in post #14399756external link
A serious question if I may - what benefits?

I have PC and a Hackintosh so use both Win7 and OSX and am familiar with both but I am very interested to understand what benefits you see in OSX.

They last! yes, Mac might be twice as expensive, but when you have to trouble shoot the PC atleast twice in the first year while the Mac can be used without issue for YEARS to come, that alone is worth the hefty price tag.

Post #59, May 08, 2012 13:56:14

5d3, 50mm 1.4, 70-200mm F4 L, 17-40mm F4 L
But hey, they say it's not the gear right:rolleyes:

Titus213
Cream of the Crop
Joined Feb 2005
19,389 posts
Camas, WA USA
[MORE/SHARE]

My desktop is a $900 i7 quad with 12 gig of memory.

My monitor is a $900 27 inch hi-res IPS panel.

They just happen to be in the same box and that box has an apple on the front.

When I got it I took it out of the box, plugged in the power, and within 10 minutes I was up and running on the internet. There was no un-ordered software to be deleted, no trial packages, no virus sales pitches, and no issues with transferring data from my PC. What was installed worked as advertised. And as a long time PC user that was more than enough to convince me that my move to an iMac was good for me.

When the new OS X Lion system came out I bought it online, downloaded it, and installed it. No reformatting my HD and no loss of data.

When my HD died it took the folks at the Apple store 2 days (one of those a Sunday) to get it fixed and back to me. It took another few hours to bring all the backup information in from my TimeMachine drive and I was back up to where I left off.

Are they trouble free? Get real, what is today? Expensive? Yup. Worth it? You bet!

Post #60, May 08, 2012 13:56:46

Dave
Perspiring photographer.
Visit NorwoodPhotos.comexternal link

LIST NEARBY THREADS
5,827 views & 0 likes for this thread
iMac or PC
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing

NOT A MEMBER YET? CLICK HERE TO REGISTER TO FORUMS

CHANGE BODY TEXT SIZE FOR ALL THREAD PAGES