Canon Digital Photography Forums  

Go Back   Canon Digital Photography Forums > 'Sharing Knowhow' section > Talk About Photography > Pets Talk
Register Rules FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 29th of February 2012 (Wed)   #1
ArcticBlueHuskies

Question Picking a lens for my fast huskies??

Okay, I have a Canon Rebel XTi. I'm a poor college student and currently only have an 18-55mm lens. A ton of my pictures usually come out blurry It bums me out.

When they don't come out blurry, they look like this

Dog Park 2/3/12 by Arctic Blue Huskies, on Flickr
but i'm still not happy.

What's a reasonably priced lens that will get the job done?
ArcticBlueHuskies is offline   Reply With Quote
This ad block will go away when you log in as member
Old 6th of March 2012 (Tue)   #2
wcpeabody

Default Re: Picking a lens for my fast huskies??

What mode and\or settings are you shooting?

You might be better off reading the posting in the sports section about capturing action shots?

Bill
wcpeabody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th of March 2012 (Sun)   #3
ChrisJC

EF 70-200mm f/2.8 L USM
ChrisJC is offline   Reply With Quote
This ad block will go away when you log in as member
Old 15th of March 2012 (Thu)   #4
ceegee
Goldmember

The Canon 55-250 does a great job with dog photography. It's not the fastest focusing lens in the world, but it's capable of producing very nice action shots, and for the price it's hard to beat. If a lot of your images are blurry, you might want to check your technique or change the camera settings. To stop the type of action shown in your sample image, you need a shutter speed of at least 1/500th, and probably a bit more. You can get this by opening up the lens, adjusting the ISO, etc.

These images were taken using the 55-250.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Rubyresized.jpg (130.0 KB, 188 views)
File Type: jpg Ruby03resized.jpg (132.9 KB, 186 views)

Website
ceegee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th of May 2012 (Mon)   #5
Nyx

A lot of my dog photography is done with my 85 f1.8 (including photographing husky rallies).
Nyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th of May 2012 (Tue)   #6
rick_reno
Cream of the Crop

bump the shutter speed up
rick_reno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th of May 2012 (Tue)   #7
Meanderthal

For a "poor college student" your 18-55 is good, as are the recommended 55-250 and 85 f/1.8. Do note that these zoom lenses are generally at their sharpest nearer the middle of their zoom range and at f/8 or f/11. The 85 is a great lens, fast and accurate to focus and very sharp even wide open. The XTi is a good camera, but above ISO 400 it's files tend to get pixelated. Try Tv mode, ISO 400, spot metering, shutter 1/800sec or higher if there's enough light. Don't get discouraged if only the dog at the center of the picture is fully focused, since high shutter speed requires wide aperture and thus shallow depth of field.

I agree with wcpeabody, test the limits of your current equipment before spending money on another lens.
Old 17th of June 2012 (Sun)   #8
abbypanda

For the longest time (years) the only lens I had was a 50mm 1.4. I got some very nice pics of my dogs with it. You might like the 85 though, it would bring you a little closer, but to date the 50 is one of my favorite lenses. Very fast and I love the sharpness and colors.
abbypanda is offline   Reply With Quote