Canon Digital Photography Forums  

Go Back   Canon Digital Photography Forums > 'Sharing Knowhow' section > Talk About Photography > Macro Talk
Register Rules FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 1st of May 2012 (Tue)   #16
birderman

Default Re: Kenko extension tubes or Raynox

The ones I got of ebay, are perfectly alright. The lock works well, the mount is metal and good tight fit with no free play, the internal finish is matt black and completely non-refelective. Seems to me that a lot of reviewers slate products without actually trying them first or they look for something with a much tighter spec. Okay the likes of Kenko is well known and established but that doesn't mean the cheaper alternatives are any less well built or inferior in quality and performance. There probably are some real cheapos that are poorly built and don't have refinements to make them good quality. The problem with most online sales is not being able to handle the goods or try them before purchase so we only have comments and reviews of online posters to rely on which in itself can be some what tricky as we all have different ideas and objectives to what makes good quality and value for money.

I still say that Branded makes probably cost a lot more than they really need to and in lots of cases one is paying for a name rather than a functional product. I think the main advantage of chosing well known brands is consistancy in quality and established support networks and after sales service, although there are many instances where well know manaufacturers have had problems. If you can justify spending upto 3x the cost then chosing the well known established manufacturer is probably right for you but should always remember that its worth checking out cheaper alternatives.

my photos on Flickr
my Facebook - KishWphotos
birderman is offline   Reply With Quote
This ad block will go away when you log in as member
Old 1st of May 2012 (Tue)   #17
gmillerf

Quote:
Originally Posted by smallpotatoes View Post
I then ordered some extension tubes through Adorama that supposedly had all the connections, but they didn't work very well.
What didn't work well? The autofocus or aperture control? Autofocus is always spotty with any macro, but I've never heard a complaint about aperture control.
gmillerf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st of May 2012 (Tue)   #18
IanW

I love my Kenko tubes, you can see some of my shots here.

flickr
IanW is offline   Reply With Quote
This ad block will go away when you log in as member
Old 1st of May 2012 (Tue)   #19
smallpotatoes

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmillerf View Post
What didn't work well? The autofocus or aperture control? Autofocus is always spotty with any macro, but I've never heard a complaint about aperture control.
I only played with them for a little while. I don't remember about the aperture. But the autofocus only worked occasionally with the smallest tube mounted. It wouldn't work at all with more than one tube or either of the other two by themselves. It wouldn't even hunt. I had ordered the Pro Optic brand with the metal mounts. But I don't think that was what I got. It didn't say Pro Optic anywhere on the box or paperwork that came with it. (I don't remember what it did say, though. Most of it was in another language.)

But for me, I'm glad I decided to go with the Raynox instead. I love how easy it is to take on & off. It just makes it so much more versatile for me. When I'm out hiking if I suddenly see something I want to take a macro of, I can just snap it on my lens & then pop it off when I'm done. No need to take the lens off 1st, then attach the tubes (and decide which one or how many) attach the lens again & then take it all back apart when I'm done.

XTi, Tamron 17-50, 55-250 IS, Nifty Fifty, 430EX, Raynox DCR 150
smallpotatoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th of May 2012 (Tue)   #20
GOLFCRAZY

Another option is the Canon 500d close-up lens. For a 77mm lens cost $144.99.
Look into that and see if you like it. This is like a filter you put on the end of your camera lens.

John
GOLFCRAZY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th of May 2012 (Tue)   #21
jjj5278

Hmmm, I may look into that. I wanted to add the extension tubes to my 60mm Macro, but the close up lens is only like $75 for a 52mm. Thanks!
jjj5278 is offline   Reply With Quote