Canon Digital Photography Forums  

Go Back   Canon Digital Photography Forums > 'Sharing Knowhow' section > Talk About Photography > Motorsports Talk
Register Rules FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 23rd of April 2012 (Mon)   #16
SpeedHunter

Default Re: Le mans 24hr Press Card Request

Quote:
Originally Posted by colintf View Post
out of interest, which hotel is that please?

Thanks
I'll hazard a a guess........Am Tiegarten with the Pistenklause Restaurant...........it would be my choice
SpeedHunter is offline   Reply With Quote
This ad block will go away when you log in as member
Old 24th of April 2012 (Tue)   #17
manna_661

Yeah most places were already booked out when i was booking and this was bout 6 months ago...
manna_661 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th of May 2012 (Mon)   #18
SpeedHunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedHunter View Post
Speedhunter:
Sharing photo vests really? How the hell would that work? So one guy heads out and the other waits in the media room until he returns at the end of the race haha? Pray to god that doesnt happen... Thanks for the heads up

One thing that I did not mention is that a firesuit is mandatory in the pit lane while the track is being used.

At Spa this weekend there were stories that we will also have to wear helmets and that the firesuits will have to be a minimum of two layer.........whether this applies for the race next month was unclear, nor how this would be policed.............I have asked the ACO for clarification.
This ad block will go away when you log in as member
Old 7th of May 2012 (Mon)   #19
manna_661

Helmets really? Makes sense though if we are taking photos during pit stops. Nuburgring accepted, Le Mans up in the air atm due to unreliable agencies....
Old 8th of May 2012 (Tue)   #20
SpeedHunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by manna_661 View Post
Helmets really? Makes sense though if we are taking photos during pit stops. Nuburgring accepted, Le Mans up in the air atm due to unreliable agencies....
Frankly it makes no sense at all, wearing a helmet that is not full face and without a fire resistant balaclava gives us little extra protection, for considerable inconvenience. I understand that the TV camera folk will not have to wear them, I wonder if that extends to the talking heads. More security theatre...........

The latest news is that the situation is under consideration............
Old 8th of May 2012 (Tue)   #21
dinanm3atl
Goldmember

It's more than likely just for 'insurance'. I agree though the fire suit with a 'helmet' but no balaclava is kind of pointless. Help to a point I guess.
dinanm3atl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th of May 2012 (Wed)   #22
Mike Hoyer

manna_661, have you made it here yet?
Old 24th of May 2012 (Thu)   #23
manna_661

Hey Mike yeah just finished the Nurburgring 24h few days ago (shattered now), in Monaco atm and yes i will be in Le Mans on the the right side of the fence
Old 26th of May 2012 (Sat)   #24
dinanm3atl
Goldmember

That is awesome. 24H Ring, F1 and Le Mans! All credentialed. Really awesome! What outlet are you applying through? Those are some tough pulls.
Old 26th of May 2012 (Sat)   #25
manna_661

Hey dina, Nah no creds for Monaco. F1 is something i really want to get into but i know its not going to be an easy task. The reason im covering so many events is because my home town of Perth only has 1 crappy race track....so thought id get my moneys worth while im in Europe lol. Oh and isle of man TT as well.
Old 26th of May 2012 (Sat)   #26
dinanm3atl
Goldmember

Awesome.
Old 29th of May 2012 (Tue)   #27
Nafe

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedHunter View Post
One thing that I did not mention is that a firesuit is mandatory in the pit lane while the track is being used.

At Spa this weekend there were stories that we will also have to wear helmets and that the firesuits will have to be a minimum of two layer.........whether this applies for the race next month was unclear, nor how this would be policed.............I have asked the ACO for clarification.
Did you receive any further clarification on this? I am flying out next Friday for LM and working out whether I borrow a 2/3layer suit, or buy a single layer to take with me.
Official Photographer 2014 | Liqui-Moly Bathurst 12 Hour | Shannons Nationals | Porsche GT3 Cup Challenge | Radical Australia Cup | Kumho Tyres Australian V8 Touring Cars | Top Gear Festival Sydney | Ferrari Racing Days Sydney
Canon 1DXx2 | 1D4 | 17-40L | 24-70L II | 50L | 70-200 2.8 IS L II | 400 2.8 IS L
Nafe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th of May 2012 (Tue)   #28
SpeedHunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nafe View Post
Did you receive any further clarification on this? I am flying out next Friday for LM and working out whether I borrow a 2/3layer suit, or buy a single layer to take with me.
You will be getting an email round about now.

Main points

Helmet compulsory in pit lane as is single layer suit, double recommended.

Mandatory Photo briefing at 0730am Sunday morning.
Old 29th of May 2012 (Tue)   #29
manna_661

Why the hell do they run the photographers briefing a week before the race?
Old 29th of May 2012 (Tue)   #30
Nafe

mann - that's for the test day.... not the 24Hr.

I noticed they didn't mention about colour of the suit. I was told a plain colour and no advertising logos by the ACO via email. Am looking into picking up a 3 layer Sabelt suit this weekend. Extra stuff to have to pack in the suitcase dang it! Will probably buy a helmet while I am over there to save trying to lug it around with me. Buggered if I know what I will do with it afterwards.....
Official Photographer 2014 | Liqui-Moly Bathurst 12 Hour | Shannons Nationals | Porsche GT3 Cup Challenge | Radical Australia Cup | Kumho Tyres Australian V8 Touring Cars | Top Gear Festival Sydney | Ferrari Racing Days Sydney
Canon 1DXx2 | 1D4 | 17-40L | 24-70L II | 50L | 70-200 2.8 IS L II | 400 2.8 IS L
Nafe is offline   Reply With Quote