Canon Digital Photography Forums  

Go Back   Canon Digital Photography Forums > 'Equipment Talk' section > Canon G-series Digital Cameras
Register Rules FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 8th of May 2012 (Tue)   #16
Luckypenguin

Default Re: Compact DSLR alternative to G1X at similar price

Absolutely, there is a big difference in feel and operation between each type of camera. They both are capable of producing high quality images, they just go about it differently. Better, worse, that's up to the individual to decide. If one were to go cold turkey from DSLRs to mirrorless it could be a shock. It didn't happen seamlessly for me but instead I adapted over time. Once I became happy with using the viewscreen I tried different ways of holding the camera, to the point where my most common grip is now using a "thumb trigger" on the shutter button.

I still love the shutter/mirror sound on my 50D, it fits my hand well and I can operate the controls without looking which I still can't quite say the same for any mirrorless camera. I just decided that I had to make a choice one way or the other and I realised that choosing to stay exclusively with my DSLR gear would have been a result of familiarity, not functionality. Simple as that.

G1X (last Canon standing)
Luckypenguin is offline   Reply With Quote
This ad block will go away when you log in as member
Old 9th of May 2012 (Wed)   #17
datune

Thanks Luckypenguin,

so are you saying that, if money were no subject, you would prefer to go with one of the mirrorless systems instead of going with the 5d MKiii, Nikon D800 or something similar?
datune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th of May 2012 (Wed)   #18
tupper
Tupperware Party Sheep

I use an Olympus EP-2 micro 4/3s with a prime and a zoom as my small camera, when I don't want to carry my 5D2 and gear around. Amazing camera. Micro 4/3s is awesome
O-MD - 20 1.7 - 50 1.8 - 135 3.5

ewantupper.com - facebook fanpage - twitter - 500px
tupper is offline   Reply With Quote
This ad block will go away when you log in as member
Old 9th of May 2012 (Wed)   #19
C4SMT

I think the G1 X is a good camera for what it is, but the G1 X in comparison to a DSLR is limited in many ways. Shutter lag and AF being the 2 main drawbacks. Personally I also find the G1 X much more fiddly to use than my DSLR's. There is no way I could operate the G1 X with gloves on in the winter. Basically if you want to do anything quickly whether it be changing settings on the camera or trying to photograph pretty much anything that is moving you are going to become frustrated with the G1 X fairly quickly. It doesn't do these things well, which a DSLR does.

The new range of 'compact' cameras that have recently become availble are certainly not far behind DSLR's now in terms image quality, but IMO certainly still have some way to go in terms of speed of AF for moving objects and usability. If you plan on shooting, sports, wildlife, kids, pets etc., then get a DSLR. If you want a compact form factor and high quality IQ (but still not full frame quality such as the 5DMKII/III, D700/800 etc.,) and are not planning on shooting moving stuff then get a compact system.
Old 9th of May 2012 (Wed)   #20
2mnycars
Goldmember

Please consider what you want to shoot...I wanted an everyday carry camera with better image quality. I loved my G9 but chose to replace it with a G11 or two, then an LX5....I went Sony, after considering Samsung N11. The high ISO performance is outstanding; it has exceeded my expectations. NEX5. However, I don't reach for the camera first; in fact I seldom take it with me. Birds in Flight? Moving children? Sure==static subjects and landscapes. I have the kit zoom (mine is sharp, though I see others have complained.) I also have the moderate telephoto zoom they brought out. Frankly I haven't shot much with it. I would like an NEX7 and 18-200 better; however, those are not in my budget.
I wish I had bought the smallest dslr that Nikon sells now. It would have been better because I would have saved money.
Perhaps Micro 4/3rds might have been a better choice for me. The kit would have been smaller.
Thom Hogan has a mirrorless camera site. I've enjoyed reading information there.
Old 9th of May 2012 (Wed)   #21
Luckypenguin

Quote:
Originally Posted by datune View Post
Thanks Luckypenguin,

so are you saying that, if money were no subject, you would prefer to go with one of the mirrorless systems instead of going with the 5d MKiii, Nikon D800 or something similar?
To be honest, yes. Somewhere you have to choose between the camera which will give you the absolute best image quality, and the camera that is flexible, portable, fun to use, and above all encourages you to carry it with you AND use it. That's what mirrorless cameras are to me. The new D800 looks to be nothing short of epic, but I have no real need for 36MP and I no long enjoy shooting with a camera that big and that requires the use of an eye-level viewfinder for composition.

The comparison between mirrorless cameras and full-frame DSLRs is bit unfair given the difference in price, although any IQ advantage that the 5D and D800 have is solely due to their sensor size; the fact that they are DSLRs is irrelevant. If there was a full-frame mirrorless camera it would offer identical IQ assuming it had the right glass, just as APS-C DSLRs offer no IQ advantage over mirrorless cams with equivalent sized sensors.

I don't care to argue whether or not mirrorless camera might one day take over from entry to mid-level DSLRs. Doomsday predictions like that are pointless and help nobody, and the current market shows that there is room for both types of camera. I'm just glad that there are so many high quality cameras available in all shapes and sizes. As photographers we've never been so spoiled for choice!

G1X (last Canon standing)
Luckypenguin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th of May 2012 (Thu)   #22
mattia

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmwag View Post
But Mirrorless cameras lack the feel and sound of a DSLR imo...to each his own and as you say they are in their early days. Until substantial lens offerings are made ...
Seriously, go to a shop and hold an Olympus E-M5. It looks and feels very much like a miniaturized OM body (adding a grip will improve the feel, but I like it as-is for its compact size...if I wanted to drag a bigger cam around I'd pull out the 5DII), although it is really smaller than most probably think, and it has one of the nicest shutter sounds I've ever heard - smooth, slick and QUIET (and up to 9 fps).

And while the selection is relatively limited compared to full DSLR kits, the only real gaps in the lineup for m43 cams are fast zooms, which Panasonic has announced already. What I'm loving about the system (now 2 weeks into ownership) is the compactness to IQ ratio, and the fact you can assemble a nice selection of relatively fast, compact primes for relatively little money. The nicest stuff is pricier, but also pretty unique - a 7-14 (14-24mm equiv) ultra wide F4 zoom, 12mm/2.0 oly prime, Pana/Leica 25/1.4, Pana/Leica 45/2.8 macro lens, and that's restricting yourself to autofocus glass. If you've got the cash to spare there are some really nice Nokton (F0.95) lenses to choose from....
Old 11th of May 2012 (Fri)   #23
hemang

Thanks everyone for the replies and trying to help me make a decision. The G1X seems perfect except for the shutter lag and AF issues. However for a person moving on from a camera like A720, should not matter. Yes I will be taking pictures of my kids and from train or car while traveling, but probably that should not be a problem either.
hemang is offline   Reply With Quote