Canon Digital Photography Forums  

Go Back   Canon Digital Photography Forums > 'Sharing Knowhow' section > Presentation
Register Rules FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 4th of May 2012 (Fri)   #1
ImaginingOrange
User is banned from forums

Default Making My First Website/Business Cards

I'm wanting to invest a little bit in making myself appear more "Professional" as a photographer. This includes an upgrade in business cards, and I need an actual website as well. From what I've gathered, MOO and UVCards seem to be the best place to order from. I'd love some of my photos on cards, unfortunately, MOO is rather expensive for that. I've been looking through the business card thread. Is there any place online to build business cards? Templates, etc?

As far as websites go, I'm looking at SquareSpace and PhotoMerchant. I prefer SquareSpace's template and customization/build options, but the fact that customers can order prints directly off a PhotoMerchant website is badass. However, in PM's examples section, all their customers websites look pretty much the same... Where did yall build your websites? Are there any other sites I should be looking into?

I know there is the Website thread, but nobody says where they built their site. SO if yall could post examples of yours with the site you built it at, that would be awesome. And any info on the above two sites would be primo.
ImaginingOrange is offline   Reply With Quote
This ad block will go away when you log in as member
Old 4th of May 2012 (Fri)   #2
Hikin Mike
Walkin' Like a Penguin Now!

Default Re: Making My First Website/Business Cards

No templates for me. I used Illustrator to create my logo and business card. I use a text editor (Notepad++) to code the website and FTP'd the files using FileZilla Client.

Site is in my sig...
Hikin Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th of May 2012 (Sat)   #3
ImaginingOrange
User is banned from forums

Really, nobody? Someone surely must have created their own website with an online template...
ImaginingOrange is offline   Reply With Quote
This ad block will go away when you log in as member
Old 6th of May 2012 (Sun)   #4
Patrick

Vista prints has cheap cards. Over the years I've ordered cards from several online companies as well as local printers. The last cards I ordered were from Moo.
It is true, you get what you pay for. I will be ordering from Moo from now on.
Relatively speaking, they're not expensive for what you get.

I've heard nothing but good things about Squarespace. Just about every hosting company now offers a web site builder program with samples of what you can do. You can make it look less "cookie cutter" by adding your own touches of course.

If you want to sell photos and use a template site your options are quite limited.
You could purchase some sort of shopping software and use it with a template site too.

I read that flickr has some sort of integration with Mpix which allows you to sale photos.
Old 7th of May 2012 (Mon)   #5
letsbewild

I like www.Overnightprints.com for my business cards - I usually wait until they have a really good sale and then the cards are usually only a few bucks plus shipping. The paper stock is thick and they've always done a good job with my business cards and postcards. You can usually find coupon codes for them online too.

As for websites, you have tons of options. I like using a self hosted installation of WordPress...you have a lot of freedom to customize it however you want.
letsbewild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th of May 2012 (Wed)   #6
michael Lee

Www.22slides.com. $10 bucks a month with a free trial. Support has been awesome and I love the horizontal scrolling.
michael Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th of May 2012 (Thu)   #7
criTalon

If you are going for quality business cards, check out tasteofink.com. They are a bit pricier, so be sure to know what you want, cuz it's not a small investment.
Old 11th of May 2012 (Fri)   #8
fotojennik

If you want a website with templates that allows people to place orders have you looked at SmugMug and Zenfolio?
fotojennik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th of May 2012 (Mon)   #9
Drixar

If you want Qaulity Business cards i either suggest MOO or you design one yourself using illustrator (or indesign) and source a printer close to you, if you go this route you'll have alot more options but ofcourse you get what you pay for no matter what way you go.

On all template sites you can get an ebuyer kind of option but this wouldnt be as smooth as the photomerchant.net if you ask me that one looks fantastic, have you tried a trial? if not i suggest to use the 14day trial just to see if you like all the custom options available, most of these site will let you code your own aswell, ofcourse some dont.

if you do want a logo/Business card drawn up in illustrator PM me, ill be able to do something.

Note; I am able to Design logo's upon request.
My Razzi
Drixar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th of November 2012 (Mon)   #10
ShotByTom
Goldmember

I used photocrati wordpress theme, very much like a template, to create my website:

www.wildharephoto.com

Website
ShotByTom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 20th of November 2012 (Tue)   #11
GwagDesigns

I build my first website coding within SmugMug, and use it mainly for event work and mass galleries/print sales, www.gwagdesigns.com. My portfolio, www.davehintzphoto.com resides on squareSpace, couldn't be happier. Business cards done in photoshop and printed though overnightprints.com

GwagDesigns is offline   Reply With Quote