FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre People Talk
Thread started 12 May 2012 (Saturday) 20:53   
LIST NEARBY THREADS

trailguy
Joined Aug 2008
418 posts
Home, college, career at Wilmington NC
[MORE/SHARE]

Been asked to take photos of individual students as they receive awards, in a very large room with indoor lighting.
I'll be using the 580II aimed up and bounced off it's extended white card, (camera - 40D, with 17 - 55 2.8) probably in aperture priority.
Would appreciate any advice on what to do or not do with cam / flash settings.

Thanks

Post #1, May 12, 2012 20:53:18

Perfectionism is the highest form of self-abuse
"Best wide-angle lens? Two steps backward"
Ernst Hass 1952

sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)
ChunkyDA
Goldmember
Joined Apr 2007
3,493 posts
Emerald Coast, FL
[MORE/SHARE]

You might want to fill us in with more information like how big is the room and will you be moving around. Also might be better asked in the strobe and flash section. What do you expect to gain using aperture priority?

Post #2, May 13, 2012 08:57:33

Dave
Support Search and Rescue, Get Lostexternal link
Gear list and some feedback

drmaxx
Joined Jul 2010
404 posts
[MORE/SHARE]

Put the camera on 1/125 (if possible 1/160) and f2.8 and adjust the iso to the amount of light you get from the flash. With the 55 mm this should give you nice portraits. Adjust the aperture for group shots accordingly.

Post #3, May 13, 2012 11:36:56 as a reply to ChunkyDA's post 2 hours earlier.

Donate if you love POTN

trailguy
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Aug 2008
418 posts
[MORE/SHARE]

Actually I read last night that Av won't do well because even with spot metering, the cam will consider all ambient light and might over expose the subject. So perhaps program or manual is better.
I can be as close as I want to the subject receivng the award, so the room size I mentioned doesn't matter. I just want a dependable way to insure my system is metering to the subjects face, and not damaged by ambient light.

Thanks for any advice

Post #4, May 13, 2012 11:38:58 as a reply to ChunkyDA's post 2 hours earlier.

Ernst Hass 1952

trailguy
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Aug 2008
418 posts
[MORE/SHARE]

Oop's. DRMAX, I sent this before reading your reply. Should I use Av or what mode?

Post #5, May 13, 2012 11:42:44 as a reply to trailguy's post 3 minutes earlier.

Ernst Hass 1952

sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)
drmaxx
Joined Jul 2010
404 posts
[MORE/SHARE]

trailguy wrote in post #14424950external link
I can be as close as I want to the subject receivng the award, so the room size I mentioned doesn't matter.

If you have a smaller room you can use the walls/ceiling to bounce your flash. You also might consider to place a divider or something close to the ceremony to bounce your flash.....

Post #6, May 13, 2012 11:44:48

Donate if you love POTN

ChunkyDA
Goldmember
Joined Apr 2007
3,493 posts
Emerald Coast, FL
[MORE/SHARE]

If it is not too late, the best way to do what you are asking is with manual camera settings and manual flash. take ETTL out of the equation.
Have a look at this thread because size of the room does matter. bigger room =more distance for your light to travel=more power required: http://photography-on-the.net/forum/showthre​ad.php?t=451770

Post #7, May 25, 2012 19:51:34

Dave
Support Search and Rescue, Get Lostexternal link
Gear list and some feedback

nathancarter
Goldmember
Joined Dec 2010
4,251 posts
[MORE/SHARE]

Presumably, the light on the stage isn't changing during the ceremony. And, presumably, you'll be able to stay in the same spot during the whole ceremony. Therefore, manual exposure and manual flash power.

If the ambient lighting isn't changing, and the distance to subject isn't changing, you don't need any of the automatic modes - they're just going to work against your intention to have the same exposure across the whole event. The automatic modes are great when ambient lighting is changing, and ETTL is a boon when the distance from flash to subject is changing. But those aren't the case here, so you don't need the automatic modes.

- Use 1/125 or 1/160 to freeze the motion of slowly moving people. They're not posing, so anything under 1/125 will risk motion blur. But they're not leaping and dancing about, either, so 1/400 is overkill. So, 1/125 to 1/160 will be the sweet spot.
- Use a relatively wide aperture to try to separate the subjects from the background of the stage. f/2.8 for best separation between subject and background; maybe a stop smaller for more reliable focusing and maybe a little more image quality (I don't know how the 17-40 does with sharpness and CA when it's wide open).
- Set the ISO so that your non-flashed exposure is underexposed by about a stop.
- Set the flash power to add just enough light to properly expose the subjects on the stage.

Post #8, May 30, 2012 13:56:42

http://www.avidchick.n​etexternal link
http://flickr.com/nath​ancarterexternal link

LIST NEARBY THREADS
1,586 views & 0 likes for this thread
shooting people while using a 580II flash
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre People Talk

NOT A MEMBER YET? CLICK HERE TO REGISTER TO FORUMS

CHANGE BODY TEXT SIZE FOR ALL THREAD PAGES