Canon Digital Photography Forums  

Go Back   Canon Digital Photography Forums > 'Equipment Talk' section > Accessories & Storage
Register Rules FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 14th of May 2012 (Mon)   #1
tvphotog
Cream of the Crop

Default Rain cover

Other than the throwaway Op/Tech think plastic ones, what do you recommend to cover the camera and lens, up to 100-400L? LensCoat? Aquatech?
"Ireland in Word and Image" Jay Ben Images 5D III | 5D II | 7D | Powershot S100 | 24-105L | 100-400L | 16-35 f/2.8L II | 24 T/S f /3.5L II | 17 T/S f/4L | 50mm f/1.2L| 35mm f/1.4L | 580 EX II | 600 EX-RT | Feisol 3441T/Markins lever QR | Gitzo 3542L | Gitzo 5561T
tvphotog is offline   Reply With Quote
This ad block will go away when you log in as member
Old 14th of May 2012 (Mon)   #2
angryman

Default Re: Rain cover

Aquatech for me - 1Ds MkII and 1D MkIII with the 100-400L - fits great, feels solid, and gives great access to everything.

If you want something similar but cheaper, Griffgear do a similar product, but I had trouble getting a reply out of them, so i went the dearer route.

Old 14th of May 2012 (Mon)   #3
tvphotog
Cream of the Crop

Quote:
Originally Posted by angryman View Post
Aquatech for me - 1Ds MkII and 1D MkIII with the 100-400L - fits great, feels solid, and gives great access to everything.

If you want something similar but cheaper, Griffgear do a similar product, but I had trouble getting a reply out of them, so i went the dearer route.
Do you think I could also use that with a 24-105 lens?
"Ireland in Word and Image" Jay Ben Images 5D III | 5D II | 7D | Powershot S100 | 24-105L | 100-400L | 16-35 f/2.8L II | 24 T/S f /3.5L II | 17 T/S f/4L | 50mm f/1.2L| 35mm f/1.4L | 580 EX II | 600 EX-RT | Feisol 3441T/Markins lever QR | Gitzo 3542L | Gitzo 5561T
This ad block will go away when you log in as member
Old 14th of May 2012 (Mon)   #4
angryman

I wouldn't think so. Thats a fairly short lens, so maybe it would bunch up too much around the lens
Old 14th of May 2012 (Mon)   #5
rick_reno
Cream of the Crop

that's a nice cover, hadn't seen one on a camera.
rick_reno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th of May 2012 (Mon)   #6
angryman

I am super impressed with the quality, although I am yet to put it to a full torrential rain test.

There are two hand holes, one for the body, and one to hold the lens.
This is the hole under the lens for your hand/monopod (with drawstring and waterproof zipper)

Hole to grip body

Neoporene seal around lens hood - stretches heaps if required, and seals nicely folded like this

The screen is still visible, although the function buttons around the screen are hard to press through the clear plastic. The eyepiece looks bulky, but is quite comfortable. There is a neoprene seal that the eyepiece pokes through, and a standard eyepiece wont work very well.
Old 14th of May 2012 (Mon)   #7
Jon

Cocker Spaniel Mod

I use the Kata E-702 with E-704 sleeves to handle the super-teles.
T90 and stuff | F-1n, New F-1, FTb and more stuff out on loan
Cocker Spaniels
Maryland and Virginia activities

Image Posting Rules
and Image Posting FAQ
Report SPAM, Don't Answer It! (link)
PERSONAL MESSAGING REGARDING SELLING OR BUYING ITEMS WITH MEMBERS WHO HAVE NO POSTS IN FORUMS AND/OR WHO YOU DO NOT KNOW FROM FORUMS IS HEREBY DECLARED STRICTLY STUPID AND YOU WILL GET BURNED.
Jon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th of May 2012 (Mon)   #8
powaysteve

I use the Canon rain cover. Here's a link to the review I did last year after using it in some serious storms. I used it with the same two lens that youi are asking about---the 100-400mm and the 24-105mm. It worked fine with the 24-105
http://photography-on-the.net/forum/...non+rain+cover
powaysteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th of May 2012 (Mon)   #9
LucidPhoto70

I have a FotoSharp rain cover I plan on using pretty soon:

http://fotosharp.com/camera_rain_covers.html
Old 14th of May 2012 (Mon)   #10
gromeo

I have both AquaTech and Think Tank Hydrophobia, I like the TT much better so much easier to put on and the material is much easier to work with. They both repel water the same.
http://www.thinktankphoto.com/produc...00-600-v2.aspx
http://www.sportsshooter.com/rguzman
gromeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th of May 2012 (Mon)   #11
Phototeacher

AquaTechs come in different sizes, and I believe that the smallest fits a 70-200mm lens, so the 24-105 would not be a good fit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvphotog View Post
Do you think I could also use that with a 24-105 lens?
Phototeacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th of May 2012 (Fri)   #12
tvphotog
Cream of the Crop

I tried a bunch of the covers, and here's a mini-review.

Canon ERC-E4S This was my favorite. It's made of light waterproof nylon, the lens tube closes with Velcro on an elastic strip. Very snug. There is a clear window in the back, and a fixed sealed eyepiece which fits the 7D and Mark III, and an adapter for other bodies. No possibility of a leak. It's very cool to have something that's made for Canons only. There is a clear window which you can coat with a plastic cleaner or spit or toothpaste or Mr. Clean Magic Eraser to prevent fogging. The best thing is that the material is meant to drape over the camera and head, and extends 6"-12" over the legs. It means you can get both hands under to manipulate the body. That was my biggest complaint with the others, only right-sided dry control. The Canon material is thin enough that you can use this on a 24-105, and a 100-400L, @400mm with no problems at all. It folds to an 8.5 x 3" roll, and comes with a pouch for travel. It's very light, just a few ounces. This one may tear the easiest (hey, that's why God invented Gaffer's tape), but it's the easiest to work under, configure and pack. And it's the color of a white lens. $89.95

Aquatech Sport Shield F/200 This was my next favorite. Made of slightly thicker nylon than the Canon, it fits tightly around the camera and lens via zippers and an elastic sewn into the fabric near the bayonet mount. It has a clear window in the back, and the a neoprene hole to stretch around the eyepiece. A Thinktank eyepiece will work just as well as the Aquatech. The problem is that it has only a rightsided arm sleeve. If you want to preview an image, you have to press the button through the plastic screen. Very well made, but I didn't like that single arm hole and the inability to control the left side of the body. $149.95

ThinkTank Hydrophobia 70-200 This was the most complicated piece of business of the whole bunch. It has a zipper; multiple Velcro tabs; a strap to hold it to the lens from the inside; a strap to hold your camera strap on the inside!!!; a Velcro/Neoprene band around the lens near the hood; very heavy material, the best of the bunch. But though it was fine with the 100-400 (or a 70-200), scrunching up and pushing back the fabric made it really hard to use with a 24-105. The heavy fabric makes it bulky and it takes up twice the room in your suitcase as the Aquatech. It has a Neoprene hole for the eyepiece that you stretch around the eyepiece as with the Aquatech, but it has a plastic flap above the eyepiece to keep it dry when not in use. However, because of the placement of the Neoprene hole and the flap, the plastic window is obscured and I really couldn't make out the details of the back of the camera! It too has only a right arm hole. Plenty of buttons and straps, but what a pain in the a$$ to get on the camera...and then you can't see the back. $139.75

LensCoat Rain Coat Pro I'm pretty handy, and for the life of me, I couldn't figure out how to get this one on the camera! Really, and I tried. No instructions, unlike all the others, and, to say the least, it is not intuitive. It has a good securing band at the front of the lens, but has no plastic cover for the back of the camera. If you can get it on, I think the cover comes to the back edge of the body, but leaves it uncovered. I can't really rate this one, as I couldn't figure out how to configure it, let alone if it keeps out rain. Also, the material has the waterproof nylon on the inside, and some kind of Neoprene flocking on the outside. I don't get that. $79.99

For me, the Canon is the keeper, I don't know how well it will hold up with time, as it's the thinnest, but perhaps Steve can answer from his experience above. And I always carry Gaffer's tape.

Last edited by tvphotog : 18th of May 2012 (Fri) at 15:50.
Old 18th of May 2012 (Fri)   #13
rklepper
Dignity-Esteem-Compassion

Location: No longer living at the center of the known universe, moved just slightly to the right. Iowa, USA.

I have used the StormJacket for quite a number of years, including with the 24-105 lens.
Polite C&C always welcome, Thanks. Gear List
rklepper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th of May 2012 (Fri)   #14
tvphotog
Cream of the Crop

Quote:
Originally Posted by rklepper View Post
I have used the StormJacket for quite a number of years, including with the 24-105 lens.
Doc, it's open in the back, doesn't the screen and buttons get wet, esp in heavy rain?
Old 18th of May 2012 (Fri)   #15
Jon

Cocker Spaniel Mod

Looked at the OpTech RainSleeve? Cheap (disposable, but by no means a one-time cover) and easy to use.

Then there's the Kata E690 and E702, which have massive clear plastic back panels to ess through.

Most rain shields have an opening for the eyepiece; don't the StormJacket and RainPro? OpTech does; Kata eliminates the need for one.
T90 and stuff | F-1n, New F-1, FTb and more stuff out on loan
Cocker Spaniels
Maryland and Virginia activities

Image Posting Rules
and Image Posting FAQ
Report SPAM, Don't Answer It! (link)
PERSONAL MESSAGING REGARDING SELLING OR BUYING ITEMS WITH MEMBERS WHO HAVE NO POSTS IN FORUMS AND/OR WHO YOU DO NOT KNOW FROM FORUMS IS HEREBY DECLARED STRICTLY STUPID AND YOU WILL GET BURNED.
Jon is offline   Reply With Quote