Canon Digital Photography Forums  

Go Back   Canon Digital Photography Forums > 'Sharing Knowhow' section > Talk About Photography > Sports Talk
Register Rules FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 9th of May 2012 (Wed)   #1
london336

Default Advice about shooting LPGA event

We are having our first LPGA event in my hometown in June this year. I am going to go to one of the practice days. Can anyone tell me if my 70-200 f4 IS will be sufficiant reach. i will also be using my 5D Mark II ( very loud shutter sound) I know the rule about waiting till after the ball has been hit and follow through only. I could also possibly rent a 100-400 f4.5-5.6 L IS but it all depends on funds at the time. I realize this would be better.

Any other advise would be appreciated i.e. best shutter speeds, aperture ect.

Thanks
london336 is offline   Reply With Quote
This ad block will go away when you log in as member
Old 10th of May 2012 (Thu)   #2
xchangx

Default Re: Advice about shooting LPGA event

Depends on what kind of shots you are looking for. I would say though for the most part a 70-200 isn't going to be enough.

Here are shots I took, mainly with a 400 2.8 + 1.4tc on a full frame camera

http://mkchang.photoshelter.com/gall...000DAkkwor4oso
My Website
xchangx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th of May 2012 (Thu)   #3
BeerWolf

The 70-200 will most likely not be enough. I've been to a few men's majors and you really can't get that close except on the tee box and sometimes near the greens. If the player misses the fairway, you can generally get closer if you are on that side. But if they pure it down the center and there are wide fairways, your 70-200 will probably be too short.

You won't be able to shoot the action of the swing unless you are very far away and you are very sure that the player and caddie won't hear your shutter. If they do, you could be ejected. The marshals or volunteers will have their hands up for silence from the time the player addresses the ball until the follow-through.

You won't need some crazy shutter speed since you aren't allowed to freeze the swing.

If I were shooting, I'd have a wide angle on me too. When I was at pga tournaments, there were crossings in the fairways to allow spectators to jump to other holes. A nice wide angle shot after the players have passed up the fairway is a cool look. Plus, there's a lot of other nice landscape shots on a pro golf course.

If you're hanging around for a few days, try to get some cash: http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/...-bag-pictures/
BeerWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
This ad block will go away when you log in as member
Old 10th of May 2012 (Thu)   #4
london336

Thanks for the info. It looks like i will have to rent the 100-400. The course they are playing on is not a pro course. Actually, it is a local public course and not that big and fairways not that wide. It will be the first time any event has been played there. I play it regularly at public prices. I am not even sure how they are going to lay out the spectator area's but I can't imagine being to far away from the players.
Old 10th of May 2012 (Thu)   #5
Todd Lambert
I don't like titles

Since the LPGA doesn't get crowds like the PGA does, you should have no problem getting closer than you would at a PGA event. Because of this, I think the 70-200 would be fine.

Around the greens and tees, you may want to shoot with the LiveView, as it will make your shutter quieter (or shoot in silent mode).

On practice days, the general rule of not shooting until after the follow-through is not as strictly adhered to. You will notice lots of people with point and shoots, with flashes going off, shutter sounds, etc... The players generally don't care on these days, but I wouldn't shoot in their address, only in the follow-through.

Wide angles might be nice, maybe carry a 70-200 and a 24-70 for the other stuff.

I've shot LPGA tournaments before, and other than the lead group (and even then) the crowds are generally very sparse.
Todd Lambert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th of May 2012 (Thu)   #6
london336

Thanks Todd. I just found out that the public are not allowed on the course for Monday or Tuesday practice days. Only day cameras are allowed is Wed during the pro-am. So I imagine it will be just as busy as the tournament days. Oh well lol
Old 10th of May 2012 (Thu)   #7
scorpio_e
Cream of the Crop

Quote:
Originally Posted by london336 View Post
Thanks Todd. I just found out that the public are not allowed on the course for Monday or Tuesday practice days. Only day cameras are allowed is Wed during the pro-am. So I imagine it will be just as busy as the tournament days. Oh well lol
WOW that is odd. I shot at the LPGA us women open and they only allowed camera on the practice days. I used the 70 to 200 but if I had to do it again I would have rented the 100 to 400.

I was also a volunteer at the open and it was a blast !!!

Below is a link to some of the images I took using the 70 to 200

http://steelcityphotography.zenfolio.com/p63874957
scorpio_e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th of May 2012 (Thu)   #8
Todd Lambert
I don't like titles

Quote:
Originally Posted by london336 View Post
I wouldn't worry too much. I don't think they have the public on the premises on Mon and Tue, because the LPGA just doesn't draw the kind of crowds that the PGA does. I've been to the several tournaments and even on the final round, there's just not that many people on the course. I think if you're crafty and willing to move around a good bit (of find a good spot and squat and wait), then you should be able to get really decent shots with just the 70-200. It would be completely different at a PGA event, especially a major. I've been to the Masters, US Open, etc.. and it's crazy, even on the practice days.
Old 10th of May 2012 (Thu)   #9
gonzogolf
Cream of the Crop

You might call the tournament office. I would imagine the reason there isnt public access to the course on monday and tuesday has more to do with not having sufficient volunteers to handle parking and other assorted duties for days with so little interest. I volunteered for nearly 20 years at our now defunct (thanks state farm) LPGA event and early week activities were pretty much open. You might be able to get permission to come out and shoot.
gonzogolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th of May 2012 (Mon)   #10
Canonswhitelensesrule
Goldmember

Quote:
Originally Posted by xchangx View Post
Depends on what kind of shots you are looking for. I would say though for the most part a 70-200 isn't going to be enough.

Here are shots I took, mainly with a 400 2.8 + 1.4tc on a full frame camera

http://mkchang.photoshelter.com/gall...000DAkkwor4oso
Some great shots, Michael!

I noticed that Natalie Gulbis is not only incredibly hot, and beautiful...and also a very good golfer, she also is very wise by choosing Canon as one of her sponsors.

"It's only cheating if you get caught!" - Al Bundy

People who THINK they know it all really annoy those of us who DO!
Canonswhitelensesrule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th of May 2012 (Mon)   #11
Todd Lambert
I don't like titles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canonswhitelensesrule View Post

I noticed that Natalie Gulbis is not only incredibly hot, and beautiful...and also a very good golfer, she also is very wise by choosing Canon as one of her sponsors.
I would gladly leave my wife for Natalie... yes... and she's even hotter in person too, btw.
Old 14th of May 2012 (Mon)   #12
gonzogolf
Cream of the Crop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Todd Lambert View Post
I would gladly leave my wife for Natalie... yes... and she's even hotter in person too, btw.
Yes, but the phrase bag of hammers comes to mind.
gonzogolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th of May 2012 (Mon)   #13
Canonswhitelensesrule
Goldmember

Quote:
Originally Posted by Todd Lambert View Post
Dayum!!

"It's only cheating if you get caught!" - Al Bundy

People who THINK they know it all really annoy those of us who DO!
Canonswhitelensesrule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th of May 2012 (Mon)   #14
xchangx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canonswhitelensesrule View Post

Thanks! Yeah, I noticed the Canon sponsor on her shirt.
My Website
xchangx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th of May 2012 (Wed)   #15
Cozmocha

Golf is a bit different from shooting action sports.

I shot my first big tournament last week (images here)

Here is what I learned that is needed to make good golf images:
You have to understand lighting. The sun can be your enemy or friend. Sometimes you can't even see the players face and other times it's well lit. It all depends on the time of day and the position of the player on the specific hole.

The background can make or break a photo. People can add to a photo sometimes but for a good stock shot clean green is the way to go. Moving a few inches to the left or right can make a HUGE difference sometimes. Get up high on a mound or lay low on your belly if needed.

I took a large amount of photos from outside the ropes but when the crowds started swarming 30 deep outside wasn't an option for the most part. I doubt you will have that problem.

Just don't click when the player is about to hit the ball or during the back stroke and you'll be fine.
Cozmocha is offline   Reply With Quote