Thread started 03 Mar 2012 (Saturday) 11:56   
LIST NEARBY THREADS

hammysg1
Hatchling
Joined May 2011
7 posts
Somerset, England
[MORE/SHARE]

I’m wondering if anyone on this forum might be able to give a complete novice some advice. I bought a Canon G12 a while back in order to learn more about aperture’s, shutter speeds etc and how to manually take better pictures.

My problem is I seem to be unable to obtain ISO values of less than 320 on the G12. It doesn’t matter if I am in program mode, Manual mode, Av or TV, the lowest ISO setting the camera will allow is 320. It will let me dial any value above this but as soon as I try to dial down it stops at 320 and stays there. I can dial in aperture and shutter speeds that give plenty of light, in an outdoor setting on a bright day, and it still will not allow me to select a lower ISO. I’m obviously doing something really stupid but I don’t know what.

Can anybody tell me what I’m doing wrong?

Hammy

Post #1, Mar 03, 2012 11:56:33

sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)
Snydremark
Cream of the Crop
Joined Mar 2009
15,636 posts
Issaquah, WA USA
[MORE/SHARE]

Sounds like there may be a custom function or something getting in your way. I'm not familar with the G12, so I don't know any specifics; but I'd start digging through your custom function menu and seeing what options are there.

Post #2, Mar 03, 2012 12:05:32

- Eric S.: My Birds/Wildlifeexternal link (7D MkII, 7D, 40D, Canon 10-22 f/3.5-4.5, Canon 24-105L f/4 IS, Canon 70-200L f/2.8 IS MkII, Canon 100-400L f/4.5-5.6 IS, Canon 100mm f/2.8 Macro, Tamron 18-270 DiII PZD, 580EX II)
"The easiest way to improve your photos is to adjust the loose nut between the shutter release and the ground."

Phototeacher
Joined May 2007
234 posts
[MORE/SHARE]

Do you mean you can set the ISO dial to (for example) "100" but the LCD display will still show 320? If so, it sounds like there is a problem with the camera.

hammysg1 wrote in post #14014633external link
I’m wondering if anyone on this forum might be able to give a complete novice some advice. I bought a Canon G12 a while back in order to learn more about aperture’s, shutter speeds etc and how to manually take better pictures.

My problem is I seem to be unable to obtain ISO values of less than 320 on the G12. It doesn’t matter if I am in program mode, Manual mode, Av or TV, the lowest ISO setting the camera will allow is 320. It will let me dial any value above this but as soon as I try to dial down it stops at 320 and stays there. I can dial in aperture and shutter speeds that give plenty of light, in an outdoor setting on a bright day, and it still will not allow me to select a lower ISO. I’m obviously doing something really stupid but I don’t know what.

Can anybody tell me what I’m doing wrong?

Hammy

Post #3, Mar 03, 2012 18:14:41

bsmotril
Goldmember
Joined Feb 2006
2,348 posts
Austin TX
[MORE/SHARE]

I don't know about the G1x, but on later Canon DSLR's, theres a feature called Digital Light Optimization which when enabled, does not allow you to manually select the lowest ISO values.

Post #4, Mar 05, 2012 08:12:23

Gear List
Galleries: http://www.flickr.com/​photos/smopho/external link --- http://billsmotrilla.z​enfolio.com/external link

hammysg1
THREAD ­ STARTER
Hatchling
Joined May 2011
7 posts
Somerset, England
[MORE/SHARE]

Sorry it's taken me a while to reply to this, I've been away. Thanks so much everyone for your help on this:

Snydremark: Yes, I thought it might be some sort of safety feature that was disabling it but I've looked and looked in all the menus and can't find anything that seems to relate to it.

Phototeacher: Yes that's exactly it. Say I have the dial set to 300. I can turn the dial down and the LCD screen shows the ISO reducing but only down as far as ISO 320. After that, I can keep turning the dial down to 200, 100 or less but the display still shows the ISO as being 320. If I then take a pic and look at the picture properties on the PC, they never show values less than 320 either

bsmotril: if it is something like you are describing then how do you use lower ISOs on those cameras? if I am shooting outside in bright light I thought it was generally best to try to use lower ISOs so as to keep resolution to a maximum. I bought Jeff Carslon's book which seems to suggest that I should be able to manually set whatever ISO I wanted so I wasn't sure if the book was wrong or, as a newbie, I'm doing something silly.

I really hope the camera isn't faulty as the retailer I bought it from a few months ago has gone bankrupt so my extended warranty is useless.

Do you guys think it really might be faulty then?

Thanks for all your time and trouble to help me with this.

Hammy

Post #5, Mar 29, 2012 12:55:11

sponsored links
Snydremark
Cream of the Crop
Joined Mar 2009
15,636 posts
Issaquah, WA USA
[MORE/SHARE]

I'd go into the menus and:

-Reset all custom functions
-Set to M
-Set ISO dial to 100

See if that makes any difference at all. Otherwise, I don't even see anything in the manual that might be causing that. Which would, unfortunately, point to something wrong with the camera...unless another, actual user can pipe in with something that they've encountered.

Post #6, Mar 29, 2012 14:23:27

- Eric S.: My Birds/Wildlifeexternal link (7D MkII, 7D, 40D, Canon 10-22 f/3.5-4.5, Canon 24-105L f/4 IS, Canon 70-200L f/2.8 IS MkII, Canon 100-400L f/4.5-5.6 IS, Canon 100mm f/2.8 Macro, Tamron 18-270 DiII PZD, 580EX II)
"The easiest way to improve your photos is to adjust the loose nut between the shutter release and the ground."

GordonSBuck
Joined Jan 2003
914 posts
Louisiana
[MORE/SHARE]

Turn off Dynamic Range Correction (top icon in the Function list)

Post #7, Mar 29, 2012 19:41:50

Gordon
http://lightdescriptio​n.blogspot.comexternal link
My 10 Best Photos: http://hornerbuck.smug​mug.com ...187_MdCXA#563436691​_UdXptexternal link

Phototeacher
Joined May 2007
234 posts
[MORE/SHARE]

I tried turning this on to +400, and experienced the problem you describe. As Gordon suggested, turn DRC off!

GordonSBuck wrote in post #14177703external link
Turn off Dynamic Range Correction (top icon in the Function list)

Post #8, Mar 29, 2012 21:48:29

rpolitsr
Joined Jun 2005
5,458 posts
Quito - Ecuador
[MORE/SHARE]

I'm not a G1X user, but it has a built in Neutral Density (ND) filter. Set the ND filter to OFF and test your camera again.
Check the manual Page 103 'Using the ND Filter'

Post #9, Mar 31, 2012 00:16:04

rafael
Canon powershot Pro1, EOS Rebel XT, EF-S 18-55mm f3.5-5.6 II, EF 50mm f1.8 II, speedlite 430EX, basic filters set.
My photo galleriesexternal link
"Personal messaging regarding selling or buying items with members who have no posts in forums and/or who you do not know from forums is hereby declared strictly stupid and you will get burned."
Marketplace: PAYPAL GIFT NO LONGER ALLOWED IN POTN

u02bnpx
Joined Apr 2002
171 posts
[MORE/SHARE]

With any problem like this, I've always found it helpful to dial 1-800-OKCANON and speak to a Canon technician, even if the camera (or flash, etc.) is out of warranty. You can explain what you've tried to do in order to overcome the problem at the outset of the call, then see what if anything he or she might add.

Post #10, Mar 31, 2012 14:12:28 as a reply to rpolitsr's post 13 hours earlier.

Fitzer
Joined Mar 2009
124 posts
[MORE/SHARE]

The problem is as Gordon & Phototeacher say the DRC setting, I tested it on my G12, it only happens when shooting plain jpeg though.

Post #11, Apr 01, 2012 08:06:11 as a reply to u02bnpx's post 17 hours earlier.

sponsored links
GordonSBuck
Joined Jan 2003
914 posts
Louisiana
[MORE/SHARE]

Fitzer wrote in post #14190179external link
The problem is as Gordon & Phototeacher say the DRC setting, I tested it on my G12, it only happens when shooting plain jpeg though.

DRC does not apply to RAW and the operation and settings for RAW+JPEG are the same as for RAW only.

Post #12, Apr 02, 2012 19:39:48

Gordon
http://lightdescriptio​n.blogspot.comexternal link
My 10 Best Photos: http://hornerbuck.smug​mug.com ...187_MdCXA#563436691​_UdXptexternal link

hammysg1
THREAD ­ STARTER
Hatchling
Joined May 2011
7 posts
Somerset, England
[MORE/SHARE]

Thanks everyone, you've been so helpful. I have been shooting in Jpeg rather than RAW as my PC harddrive is full so I can't store RAW. I will do all the things you suggest (turning off DRC etc) and report back.

Thank you all so much for your help on this.

Hammy

Post #13, Apr 15, 2012 12:10:02

hammysg1
THREAD ­ STARTER
Hatchling
Joined May 2011
7 posts
Somerset, England
[MORE/SHARE]

Sorry for not replying sooner, it's been raining in uk everyday for the last month and I haven't felt like getting out with the camera

It worked! I turned DRC off and I can now use whatever ISO I want.

Thank you so, so much all of you, it would have taken me years (or maybe never) to find it without your help.

You've all been so kind to take the trouble to help me so thanks once again - virtual cupcakes for all of you.

Hammy:)

Post #14, May 16, 2012 13:55:19 as a reply to hammysg1's post 1 month earlier.

Phototeacher
Joined May 2007
234 posts
[MORE/SHARE]

Glad it worked out for you, and thanks for updating the thread with a satisfactory resolution.

Post #15, May 16, 2012 19:50:38

LIST NEARBY THREADS
2,585 views & 0 likes for this thread
Can't get low ISO on my G12
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon G-series Digital Cameras

NOT A MEMBER YET? CLICK HERE TO REGISTER TO FORUMS

CHANGE BODY TEXT SIZE FOR ALL THREAD PAGES