Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting
Thread started 20 May 2012 (Sunday) 11:55
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Any ideas on a small (or very weak) flash?

AirbusA380
138 posts
Joined Mar 2006
The wrong side of the pond -- Rainy Holland.
May 20, 2012 11:55 |  #1

My photography focuses on meals served onboard international business/first class travel. One of the challenges is to get lighting right; especially when I travel red-eyes, I often choose to have my meal mid-flight when lights are dimmed and am stuck with just a reading light. I thought about using a flash at 1/128th power, possibly with a diffuser.. What are your takes on this? Does anyone have any other ideas? Perhaps a very small flash I am unaware of (I was thinking, they have pocket-sized beamers nowadays.. are there any similar pocket-sized mini flashes? Unaware what to Google to find out..)? Any input is appreciated!!

-Dan
Canon 300D | Canon 400D | Canon 50D
Canon 17-55mm f/2.8 IS | 70-200mm F4L | 50/1.8 | 50/1.4 | 85/1.8

sponsored links
kokakaste2
Goldmember
3,546 posts
Joined Jan 2008
Luxembourg
May 20, 2012 12:47 |  #2

Maybe a LED panel instead of flash?

Oskar (Oscar) - stuff I use- Flickrexternal link - My Facebook pageexternal link :)

The ­ Fox
Goldmember
1,709 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Jul 2007
Huntington Beach, Ca
May 20, 2012 12:57 |  #3

So just to make sure, you are taking images of meals served on flights while in flight?

If so, then I would say go with a light panel(http://www.bhphotovide​o.com ..._38_Flat_Panel_Flas​h.htmlexternal link). I am not a fan of LED lights, they dont give good smooth light and are really dappled unless you spend a lot of money to get a good system.

The panel flash will be much softer, easier to stop the motion and will be simpler to use in the end.

Nick

"I work from awkwardness. By that I mean I don't arrange things. If I stand in front of something, instead of arranging it, I arrange myself" -Diane Arbus
7D Gripped x2 | 50D Gripped | 17-50mm F2.8 | 35mm F1.4 | 50mm F1.4 | 85mm F1.8 | 70-200mm F4L IS |

Curtis ­ N
Master Flasher
19,129 posts
Joined Apr 2005
Northern Illinois, US
May 20, 2012 13:05 |  #4

I would think you can bounce the flash off the ceiling - or whatever is above the seat. It's usually light grey so color shouldn't be an issue.

A Canon Speedlite 270EX II should get the job done (not the original 270EX).

Also there are diffusers like thisexternal link that will diffuse the light from your camera's built-in flash.

So, your job is to get on a plane, sit in first class and take a picture of the food? Nice gig! Are they hiring?

"If you're not having fun, your pictures will reflect that." - Joe McNally
Chicago area POTN eventsexternal link
Flash Photography 101 | The EOS Flash Bible external link| Techniques for Better On-Camera Flashexternal link | How to Use Flash Outdoors| Excel-based DOF Calculatorexternal link

denncald
Goldmember
Joined Mar 2008
Marquette, MI, USA
May 20, 2012 15:36 as a reply to Curtis N's post |  #5

Take a look at this macro LED light.

http://www.amazon.com ...anon-Tamron/dp/B003LYF5P2external link

Dennis

AirbusA380
THREAD ­ STARTER
138 posts
Joined Mar 2006
The wrong side of the pond -- Rainy Holland.
May 21, 2012 00:52 |  #6

Thanks, folks! The thing I'm worried about is it has to be a weak flash/lighting source. I don't want to disturb other passengers on-board. This is what makes it so different from regular food photography, or any sort of photography for that matter. The GN for the Sun Pak Flat Panel Flash for example is 38, which seems total overkill. Moreover, for this very same reason I don't like to bounce the flash off the ceiling.

-Dan
Canon 300D | Canon 400D | Canon 50D
Canon 17-55mm f/2.8 IS | 70-200mm F4L | 50/1.8 | 50/1.4 | 85/1.8

Curtis ­ N
Master Flasher
19,129 posts
Joined Apr 2005
Northern Illinois, US
May 21, 2012 05:33 |  #7

Any of the Canon Speedlites have the ability to fire at well under 1% of their capacity in E-TTL mode.
But in a dark environment, even a weak flash is going to get noticed.

"If you're not having fun, your pictures will reflect that." - Joe McNally
Chicago area POTN eventsexternal link
Flash Photography 101 | The EOS Flash Bible external link| Techniques for Better On-Camera Flashexternal link | How to Use Flash Outdoors| Excel-based DOF Calculatorexternal link

Foodguy
Goldmember
1,323 posts
Joined Mar 2012
Having too much fun in the studio
May 21, 2012 07:47 as a reply to Curtis N's post |  #8

Vellum/tracing paper/writing paper/diffusion material/shower curtain etc, taped over your flash will cut the light to any degree you want or need.

My answer for most photography questions: "it depends...'

kokakaste2
Goldmember
3,546 posts
Joined Jan 2008
Luxembourg
May 21, 2012 12:07 |  #9

Foodguy wrote in post #14462537external link
Vellum/tracing paper/writing paper/diffusion material/shower curtain etc, taped over your flash will cut the light to any degree you want or need.

or just use ND gels? :)

Oskar (Oscar) - stuff I use- Flickrexternal link - My Facebook pageexternal link :)

sportmode
549 posts
Joined Nov 2010
May 21, 2012 13:59 as a reply to kokakaste2's post |  #10

How about using an iPad for your softbox?

http://itunes.apple.co​m ...for-ipad/id415056105?mt=8external link

5D Mark III, 6D, EOS-M 22mm f/2 | 24-70mm f/2.8L II | 50mm f1.4 | 100L | 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II | Rokinon 8mm Fisheye

sponsored links

1,557 views & 0 likes for this thread
Any ideas on a small (or very weak) flash?
FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.