Canon Digital Photography Forums  

Go Back   Canon Digital Photography Forums > 'Sharing Knowhow' section > The POTN Lounge
Register Rules FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 18th of May 2012 (Fri)   #3031
h4ppydaze

Default Re: The Film Thread (Red Ring not Required) A place for Analog Photography Nuts to Ta

Love Tri-X. Great film, nice and fine grain with good flexibility
h4ppydaze is offline   Reply With Quote
This ad block will go away when you log in as member
Old 18th of May 2012 (Fri)   #3032
effae

Default Re: The Film Thread (Red Ring not Required) A place for Analog Photography Nuts to Ta

Subscribing! Just got an "old" Canon 50E to play around with. Took my 50 1.8 and a roll of b/w Ilford FP4 125 and went out shooting. Looking forward to see how the pictures turned out
Old 18th of May 2012 (Fri)   #3033
agphotography
Goldmember

Good choice of film FP4 is a nice stock
Tumblr
agphotography is offline   Reply With Quote
This ad block will go away when you log in as member
Old 18th of May 2012 (Fri)   #3034
Marm O. Set

These are my favorites from the roll of TX 400 I just got back; all are taken with the Canon A-1, lenses are listed below the photo.

ascend by Marm O. Set, on Flickr
FD 35 2.8

stutter by Marm O. Set, on Flickr
FD 85 1.8

scroll by Marm O. Set, on Flickr
FD 50 1.8

239 by Marm O. Set, on Flickr
FD 85 1.8

4 by Marm O. Set, on Flickr
FD 85 1.8

tier by Marm O. Set, on Flickr
FD 85 1.8
Marm O. Set is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th of May 2012 (Fri)   #3035
agphotography
Goldmember

Nice! I like them. Super rich contrast (More than I expect from Tri-X)

I had a couple A-1s for a while, never really connected with it though. I was too in love with my T90 and EF bodies
Tumblr
Old 18th of May 2012 (Fri)   #3036
CameraMan
Cream of the Crop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marm O. Set View Post

scroll by Marm O. Set, on Flickr
I've been looking for a bench to shoot like this one... Nicely done!
CameraMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th of May 2012 (Fri)   #3037
Marm O. Set

Quote:
Originally Posted by CameraMan View Post
I've been looking for a bench to shoot like this one... Nicely done!
Thanks... it's sitting in my in-laws front yard; have at it

Quote:
Originally Posted by agphotography View Post
Nice! I like them. Super rich contrast (More than I expect from Tri-X)

I had a couple A-1s for a while, never really connected with it though. I was too in love with my T90 and EF bodies
Super rich contrast courtesy of Photoshop I think I know how to get it right in the camera... I'm going to try my theory on the next roll of Tri-X (which I bought today )
I like the A-1s so far. I need to take my time and set up some halfway decent shots instead of blowing through a roll so I can see how they turned out. Patience never was one of my strong suits!

Last edited by Marm O. Set : 18th of May 2012 (Fri) at 20:29.
Old 20th of May 2012 (Sun)   #3038
swldstn

Just found a mint EOS-1v HS with original box, manuals, and BM-E2 to hold 8 AA's at Keebler and Shuchat while visiting in CA. Can't wait to try it out. Cost $399. Trying to decide how I plan to use it. Probably will be B+W since the film is easier to find. Plan on just getting someone to develop the negative or slides if I do that since I have a negative/slide scanner from Nikon. My old Elan IIe was an OK camera but nothing like this. Luckily back then the film was the sensor so the camera body didn't effect the quality really. Can't wait to try it out.
Gear List
swldstn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th of May 2012 (Sun)   #3039
CameraMan
Cream of the Crop

Great deal! I've seen them for about $900 online. Nice find!
CameraMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th of May 2012 (Sun)   #3040
john-in-japan

Good Morning -
Just bought a Canon AE-1 that looks brand new, with two rolls of film (expiration 2004). It needed a new battery (expensive!), I paid $10 for the camera, seems to work fine, but mirror and screen are dirty. Came with manual. Can I use either 550EX or 580EX on this camera successfully? I plan to clean the mirror and screen with a Q-tip, then put in the expired film, just to see if all is well, and shoot the roll.
Cheers,
John
5D Mark II Dual Battery Grip, [color=black], 200 f/2.8L, 70-200 f/2.8L II IS, 24-70 f/2.8L 180Macro f/3.5L, 85 II f/1.2L, 17-40 f/4L, 50 f/1.4, 50 f/2.5 Compact Macro, MPE-65, 550EX, 400L f.2.8L IS, 580EXII, Canon RingFlash, RRS Perfect Portrait Pkg., Velbon with PH275 and Slider, bunch of filters, Canon 1.4X & Having Fun! http://kamogawa.smugmug.com/
john-in-japan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st of May 2012 (Mon)   #3041
Marm O. Set

Quote:
Originally Posted by john-in-japan View Post
...Canon AE-1... Can I use either 550EX or 580EX on this camera successfully?
In manual mode, yes.
In TTL mode, I'm pretty sure you cannot.
Old 21st of May 2012 (Mon)   #3042
Marm O. Set

Does anyone have any suggestions for me?
I want to shoot a roll of 35mm film specifically for flash photography.
Here's a few examples of stuff I shot digitally... I'd be hoping to do the same type of stuff on film.

4 May 2012 by Marm O. Set, on Flickr

30 April 2012 by Marm O. Set, on Flickr

6 April 2012 by Marm O. Set, on Flickr
So I like punchy colors and relatively little grain. I'm thinking something slower like ISO 50 or 100? The sync speed of my A-1 is 1/60th of a second... so now I'm wondering if I need my film to be a little faster so I can use less flash (shorter flash duraton, less likely to get flash blur) And if I understand correctly, negative is more forgiving than slide? I really don't know... that's why I'm asking for help.
Thanks in advance...

Last edited by Marm O. Set : 21st of May 2012 (Mon) at 08:28.
Old 21st of May 2012 (Mon)   #3043
Cuypers1807

What ISOs do you generally use for your digital camera?
Ektar 100 has the finest grain for color neg. and it has good saturation. Portra 160 or 400 have a less saturated look but can be cranked up in PS. Both Ektar and Portra scan really easily.
For ISO 50, Fuji Velvia 50 is the standard. You are correct that slide film doesn't have the latitude that color neg has but if you nail the exposure, the resolution and saturation will blow you away. Just got some for my 4x5 and can't wait to see the results.

Flickr_________My Site___________Gear List
Cuypers1807 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st of May 2012 (Mon)   #3044
agphotography
Goldmember

Quote:
Originally Posted by swldstn View Post
Just found a mint EOS-1v HS with original box, manuals, and BM-E2 to hold 8 AA's at Keebler and Shuchat while visiting in CA. Can't wait to try it out. Cost $399. Trying to decide how I plan to use it. Probably will be B+W since the film is easier to find. Plan on just getting someone to develop the negative or slides if I do that since I have a negative/slide scanner from Nikon. My old Elan IIe was an OK camera but nothing like this. Luckily back then the film was the sensor so the camera body didn't effect the quality really. Can't wait to try it out.
Woah! Now that's a heck of a deal! I sold mine this year for nearly $700 in mint condition. The 1V is the greatest AF SLR canon ever made. You'll love it!
Tumblr
Old 21st of May 2012 (Mon)   #3045
agphotography
Goldmember

I would agree with Joby, Try some Ektar 100, it works really well with flash I've found. Very strong colors (yet realistic). Though it is a bit unforgiving in exposure error when compared to the Portra films or Fuji 160 PRO S
Tumblr