FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Weddings & Other Family Events
Thread started 21 May 2012 (Monday) 22:26   
LIST NEARBY THREADS

the ­ flying ­ moose
Goldmember
Joined Dec 2006
1,284 posts
[MORE/SHARE]

While no money was exchanged (they bought us lunch), this was the first time I had ever shot photos for someone and for a reason other than my own enjoyment. My wife was taking engagement shots for her sister so I tagged along for help and advice and to practice taking shots of my own.

Here are four of my favorites. Its great to be able to capture the love and affection two people share and while I would be a long way from doing this a a job, I was definitely bitten by the bug and would love to bring this kind of happiness to others one day. As always, I'd love to hear comments both good and bad.

IMAGE NOT FOUND IMAGE IS A REDIRECT OR MISSING!
http://i167.photobucke​t.com ...flying_moose/IMG_26​72.jpgexternal link
HTTP response: 404 | MIME changed to 'image/gif' | Byte size: ZERO

http://i167.photobucke​t.com ...ying_moose/IMG_2640​-4.jpgexternal link

http://i167.photobucke​t.com ...lying_moose/IMG_263​72.jpgexternal link

http://i167.photobucke​t.com ...flying_moose/IMG_26​34.jpgexternal link

Post #1, May 21, 2012 22:26:20

sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)
rpaul
Joined Jul 2011
624 posts
BC NJ
[MORE/SHARE]

the flying moose wrote in post #14466473external link
they bought us lunch

Said lunch should have been removed from the frame for #3 and 4. :oops:

Post #2, May 21, 2012 22:32:20

Rob | rmpaul.comexternal link
Gear 'n Stuff
C&C always welcome

the ­ flying ­ moose
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
Joined Dec 2006
1,284 posts
[MORE/SHARE]

rpaul wrote in post #14466503external link
Said lunch should have been removed from the frame for #3 and 4. :oops:

Those were left in on purpose. Both are avid Starbucks drinkers and they wanted them left in as that is kind of "their thing" that they will often do.

Post #3, May 21, 2012 22:34:33

p27rpy
Goldmember
Joined Oct 2010
1,382 posts
[MORE/SHARE]

gotta pay better attention to your surroundings... the fence and whatever that black thing in the BG of #1 ruins the photo immediately. the skin tones in 2 & 3 are VERY yellow as well - i would stick with the editing done in 1 & 4.

also, you have to think about your posing. you need to think of ways to flatter the couple, no matter how they look. These photos, with them sitting and slouching do them no favors. to be totally honest, none of these photos do anything for me.

your technique needs quite a bit of work. maybe practice with some friends whenever you have free time to get some experience shooting people and experimenting with poses that flatter.

good luck, and keep shooting!

Post #4, May 21, 2012 22:50:51

Theo Civitello - Houston Based Automotive, Wedding & Life Photographyexternal link
Flickr
My Blog - Latest uploads and detailed Strobist info!external link

mosabi
Joined Feb 2011
369 posts
Fargo, ND
[MORE/SHARE]

Can you share some of your wife's photos from the session?

For you just tagging along taking pics, not too bad. Obviously there is room for improvement like others have stated. The bug of photography is catchy, glad you caught it, now to just improve and you will love it even more. :)

Thank you for sharing and keep on shooting!

Post #5, May 21, 2012 23:00:13

www.nickluchau.zenfoli​o.comexternal link
40Dx2 gripped | 17-55 f/2.8 | 50 f/1.8 mk1 | 430ex II

sponsored links
the ­ flying ­ moose
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
Joined Dec 2006
1,284 posts
[MORE/SHARE]

p27rpy wrote in post #14466578external link
gotta pay better attention to your surroundings... the fence and whatever that black thing in the BG of #1 ruins the photo immediately. the skin tones in 2 & 3 are VERY yellow as well - i would stick with the editing done in 1 & 4.

also, you have to think about your posing. you need to think of ways to flatter the couple, no matter how they look. These photos, with them sitting and slouching do them no favors. to be totally honest, none of these photos do anything for me.

your technique needs quite a bit of work. maybe practice with some friends whenever you have free time to get some experience shooting people and experimenting with poses that flatter.

good luck, and keep shooting!

Thanks for the criticism. None of the locations and poses were my idea and believe me we tried to get them to go to more "photogenic" locations but she is 7 months pregnant and has a hard time doing longer walks so we had to make due with they wanted. Also, I agree with the tones and stuff but again this is what they liked and as long as they are happy then its not about me.

Post #6, May 21, 2012 23:14:53

mosabi
Joined Feb 2011
369 posts
Fargo, ND
[MORE/SHARE]

You are exactly right, if the couple is happy you succeeded! My favorite is #2 though.

Keep at it!

Post #7, May 21, 2012 23:45:17

www.nickluchau.zenfoli​o.comexternal link
40Dx2 gripped | 17-55 f/2.8 | 50 f/1.8 mk1 | 430ex II

elrey2375
Goldmember
Joined Nov 2011
4,408 posts
[MORE/SHARE]

Editing in #2 especially doesn't do any favors. It makes their skin look splotchy. If you're going to leave it like that, at least do some skin perfection in post processing.

Post #8, May 22, 2012 00:08:50

http://emjfotografi.co​m/external link
http://500px.com/EMJFo​tografiexternal link
https://www.facebook.c​om ...Fotografi/313443068​750734external link

nicksan
Man I Like to Fart
Joined Oct 2006
24,584 posts
NYC
[MORE/SHARE]

I agree about the unflattering poses.
And while ultimately, the client is the most important, you'll never improve that way.

Post #9, May 22, 2012 00:11:03

NYC Wedding Photographerexternal link | Blogexternal link | facebookexternal link | Flickrexternal link | Gear

the ­ flying ­ moose
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
Joined Dec 2006
1,284 posts
[MORE/SHARE]

Thanks for the comments and criticisms all. It's all much appreciated and I will use it to improve.

Post #10, May 22, 2012 10:51:09

p27rpy
Goldmember
Joined Oct 2010
1,382 posts
[MORE/SHARE]

the flying moose wrote in post #14466673external link
Thanks for the criticism. None of the locations and poses were my idea and believe me we tried to get them to go to more "photogenic" locations but she is 7 months pregnant and has a hard time doing longer walks so we had to make due with they wanted. Also, I agree with the tones and stuff but again this is what they liked and as long as they are happy then its not about me.

I see where you're coming from, but I still don't buy that you couldn't have simply turned them around or re-positioned yourself so that ugly fence wasn't in the background. It is ultimately about the client, but using that as an excuse for lackluster photos will never allow you to improve.

Post #11, May 22, 2012 13:15:44

Theo Civitello - Houston Based Automotive, Wedding & Life Photographyexternal link
Flickr
My Blog - Latest uploads and detailed Strobist info!external link

sponsored links
scorpio_e
Cream of the Crop
Joined Aug 2007
6,557 posts
Pa
[MORE/SHARE]

#1 The fence is a distraction and the pose a bit awkward
#2 Not a fan of the post processing. The light is a bit harsh
#3 I like this one the best. The processing and drink drops it a notch or two for me.
#4 A bit overboard on the skin smoothing. The drink is a distraction and the pose does not work. The light is too harsh.

Just my opinion.

Post #12, May 22, 2012 14:00:22

http://steelcityphotog​raphy.zenfolio.com/external link

the ­ flying ­ moose
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
Joined Dec 2006
1,284 posts
[MORE/SHARE]

p27rpy wrote in post #14469220external link
I see where you're coming from, but I still don't buy that you couldn't have simply turned them around or re-positioned yourself so that ugly fence wasn't in the background. It is ultimately about the client, but using that as an excuse for lackluster photos will never allow you to improve.

It was the edge of a steep cutbank and there was no way to get that shot without the fence. The way I took that shot was balanced slightly over the edge. Technically, we aren't even supposed to go past the fence.

I understand where you are coming from. Although, they liked the pics, I am not that happy with the locations and all that. I will take the advice and find people who I can try poses with for practice.

Thank you all for the continued comments. I really appreciate the tips and help. :)

Post #13, May 22, 2012 18:45:18

synapxe
Joined Feb 2007
338 posts
Vancouver, BC
[MORE/SHARE]

Looking over the photos and seeing your responses it doesn't sound like you're hearig the feedback.

As for direct feedback, the Starbucks cups could have been incorporated with them drinking, cheers'ing, etc, on the ground in that spot looks out of place.

Either way, keep shooting and learning, we all started from somewhere and style/art is subjective.

Post #14, May 22, 2012 19:09:16

www.stillconcept.comexternal link

5DmkIII | 7D | 17-40L | 24-70L | 70-200L F2.8 IS II | 430EX II | Dakine Mission Photo Bag | Think Tank Retrospective 20
http://www.stillconcep​t.com/external link

the ­ flying ­ moose
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
Joined Dec 2006
1,284 posts
[MORE/SHARE]

synapxe wrote in post #14470788external link
Looking over the photos and seeing your responses it doesn't sound like you're hearig the feedback.

As for direct feedback, the Starbucks cups could have been incorporated with them drinking, cheers'ing, etc, on the ground in that spot looks out of place.

Either way, keep shooting and learning, we all started from somewhere and style/art is subjective.

Thanks. I am trying. Its been a lot to process but I am taking what everyone has been nice enough to comment on and I will try and incorporate that into future shots.

Those are good ideas to do with the cups if I take shots with someone like that again.

Post #15, May 22, 2012 19:57:41

LIST NEARBY THREADS
1,362 views & 0 likes for this thread
First ever engagement shots
FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Weddings & Other Family Events

NOT A MEMBER YET? CLICK HERE TO REGISTER TO FORUMS

CHANGE BODY TEXT SIZE FOR ALL THREAD PAGES