FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Nature & Landscapes Talk
Thread started 15 Feb 2012 (Wednesday) 11:58   
LIST NEARBY THREADS

cmoy
Joined Nov 2009
891 posts
NY
[MORE/SHARE]

at Machu Picchu. My wife and I are going with some friends in about 2 months. So psyched! :D Anyway, I've read they won't let you in with tripods and any lens that's 200mm or longer unless you pay a hefty fee :mad: I haven't been able to find anything on camera bodies. Has anyone been able to get in with a 1D series body? I'm not worried about lenses, will be taking my 15mm FE, 16-35 and 28-70. I apologize if this is the wrong to ask.

Thanks guys!

Post #1, Feb 15, 2012 11:58:43

Chris
websiteexternal link

sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)
gygeek
Joined Sep 2009
33 posts
AZ
[MORE/SHARE]

Yeah, soaking is all that is. We were just at some ruins in Mexico, and they were extorting $5 from people with video cameras. It was interesting that cameras with a video setting were ok though.

Post #2, Feb 17, 2012 09:17:11

cmoy
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Nov 2009
891 posts
NY
[MORE/SHARE]

I had the same experience in Mexico. I don't mine 5 bucks but at Machi Picchu they want 300 bucks per "pro" gear! CRAZY! I can't find anything on camera bodies. I really want to take my 1Ds MK II.

gygeek wrote in post #13914181external link
Yeah, soaking is all that is. We were just at some ruins in Mexico, and they were extorting $5 from people with video cameras. It was interesting that cameras with a video setting were ok though.

Post #3, Feb 17, 2012 09:44:01

Chris
websiteexternal link

LowriderS10
Cream of the Crop
Joined Mar 2008
10,168 posts
South Korea / Canada
[MORE/SHARE]

wow...what utter crap...if you can't find the info here, try some travel message boards, they may be of more help!

Post #4, Feb 20, 2012 19:12:33

-=Prints For Sale at PIXELS=-external link
-=Facebook=-external link
-=Flickr=-external link

-=Gear=-

Soma ­ Jones
Mostly Lurking
Joined Feb 2012
19 posts
Northern Michigan, United States
[MORE/SHARE]

I spent two and a half days at Machu Picchu last month. I saw three or four people carrying very small tripods though no one was actually using one. I brought in and used my 55-250 (wild chinchillas!)without the slightest hassle. No one at the gate ever questioned what I was carrying and I saw no notice anywhere about prohibited photography equipment or special fees.
I had a fantastic time. The site is far far bigger than I realized.

http://somajonesphotog​raphs.zenfolio.com/p34​4889862external link

Post #5, May 16, 2012 15:22:40

www.somajones.comexternal link
7D, XSI 450D, 15-85, 55-250, 50 1.8, 580exII, ...

sponsored links
MajesticMomentsPhoto
Joined Jun 2007
777 posts
Northern NJ
[MORE/SHARE]

@ cmoy, where did you read that? Im planning a trip myself. Wanted to take the 1DMKIV and one of my lenses would be the 70-200...

Post #6, May 17, 2012 00:11:25

:cool:Lots of Bodies & Glass....:cool:

Scatterbrained
Cream of the Crop
Joined Jan 2010
6,913 posts
Suffolk, Va
[MORE/SHARE]

MajesticMomentsPhoto wrote in post #14443917external link
@ cmoy, where did you read that? Im planning a trip myself. Wanted to the the 1DMKIV and one of my lenses would be the 70-200...

I googled machu picchu photography fee and got a ton of hits. The first few I read said that it was a) a required form that cost $3oo, and b) seemingly random who got through and who got stopped. :confused:

Post #7, May 17, 2012 00:22:32

VanillaImaging.comexternal link"Vacuous images for the Vapid consumer"
500pxexternal link
flickrexternal link
1xexternal link

IslandCrow
Joined Oct 2008
589 posts
Rapid City, SD
[MORE/SHARE]

What about bringing the 1D but also packing a point and shoot. If they won't let you in with the 1D, bring it back to the car (after vehemently arguing that you should be allowed to bring it in without paying the fee of course), and exchange it for the smaller camera.

Post #8, May 18, 2012 15:33:10

MajesticMomentsPhoto
Joined Jun 2007
777 posts
Northern NJ
[MORE/SHARE]

doing some more research, I have a bud who lives in Costa Rica and travels to Machu Pichu very freqently. I will post once I hear from him..

Post #9, May 22, 2012 02:03:11

cmoy
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Nov 2009
891 posts
NY
[MORE/SHARE]

Sorry guys for the late reply. I had no problems getting my 1Ds MK II into Machu Picchu. I didn't bring a tripod or a 200mm tele. I had my lenses and body in neoprene bags in a regular backpack. No one was checking at the gate. We saw quite a few people with DSLR's. Some gripped but mostly not. I didn't see any other 1D series body besides mine. I didn't see too many long lenses, maybe 2-3 total. None were grey. I saw one guy with what looked like a series 2 Gitzo tripod right by the entrance. Another fella was using a monopod. Here's a shot my wife took of me climbing near the top of Wayna Picchu with my 1Ds MK II :lol: I'll post more photos when I have time.

What I carried to Machu Picchu:
1Ds MK II
15mm Fisheye
16-35 II
28-70 2.8

IMAGE NOT FOUND IMAGE IS A REDIRECT OR MISSING!
http://www.christopher​gmoy.com ...P5Q/0/X3/i-FqjRP5Q-X3.jpgexternal link
HTTP response: 404 | MIME changed to 'text/html' | Byte size: ZERO

Post #10, May 22, 2012 09:00:24 as a reply to MajesticMomentsPhoto's post 6 hours earlier.

Chris
websiteexternal link

cmoy
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Nov 2009
891 posts
NY
[MORE/SHARE]

GREAT shots! Looks like we walked and shot the same streets in Cusco LOL We love the coca candy! :lol:

Soma Jones wrote in post #14441639external link
I spent two and a half days at Machu Picchu last month. I saw three or four people carrying very small tripods though no one was actually using one. I brought in and used my 55-250 (wild chinchillas!)without the slightest hassle. No one at the gate ever questioned what I was carrying and I saw no notice anywhere about prohibited photography equipment or special fees.
I had a fantastic time. The site is far far bigger than I realized.

http://somajonesphotog​raphs.zenfolio.com/p34​4889862external link

Post #11, May 22, 2012 09:08:37

Chris
websiteexternal link

sponsored links
Soma ­ Jones
Mostly Lurking
Joined Feb 2012
19 posts
Northern Michigan, United States
[MORE/SHARE]

cmoy wrote in post #14468106external link
GREAT shots! Looks like we walked and shot the same streets in Cusco LOL We love the coca candy! :lol:

Thank you , and yours are great as well. I was mildly disappointed not to get to go up Huaynu Picchu but man, that looked steep and arduous. I was gasping hard enough walking up the street in Cusco to Sexywoman. (Sacsayhuaman)

Post #12, May 22, 2012 13:26:33

www.somajones.comexternal link
7D, XSI 450D, 15-85, 55-250, 50 1.8, 580exII, ...

cmoy
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Nov 2009
891 posts
NY
[MORE/SHARE]

Thanks! It was steep and scary at times but I was so BEAT that I had forgotten how high we were LOL My watch recorded 8,000+ feet shortly after the "25 min" sign. There was a lot of foliage along the edge of the steps so it wasn't as scary as I thought it would be. The climb down was just as difficult! It took us just over 4 hours to climb up and back down Wayna Pucchu :o It was no joke! :eek: Here's a few more photos...

http://www.christopher​gmoy.com ...chu-Day-4/22861023_9gZZQ5external link

Soma Jones wrote in post #14469274external link
Thank you , and yours are great as well. I was mildly disappointed not to get to go up Huaynu Picchu but man, that looked steep and arduous. I was gasping hard enough walking up the street in Cusco to Sexywoman. (Sacsayhuaman)

Post #13, May 22, 2012 13:42:31

Chris
websiteexternal link

MajesticMomentsPhoto
Joined Jun 2007
777 posts
Northern NJ
[MORE/SHARE]

Great pics guys, my buddy reports that it all depends on many factors.

who is working the gate.
what your equipment looks like.

He usually takes a small carbon monopod, and takes the grip off his bodies.

He says white L lenses usually get you "classified" as a pro. and fees apply. when he has gone with his 1D MKIV he kept it in the bag with his ungripped 5d2 around his neck with a 24-105 and hasn't had a problem with fees.

Can't wait to go!

Post #14, May 22, 2012 22:45:19

cmoy
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Nov 2009
891 posts
NY
[MORE/SHARE]

Yup, I had my 1Ds MK II in a neoprene bag in the bottom of my backpack under my raincoat :D

Post #15, May 22, 2012 22:57:56 as a reply to MajesticMomentsPhoto's post 12 minutes earlier.

Chris
websiteexternal link

LIST NEARBY THREADS
1,959 views & 0 likes for this thread
Photography gear restrictions...
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Nature & Landscapes Talk

NOT A MEMBER YET? CLICK HERE TO REGISTER TO FORUMS

CHANGE BODY TEXT SIZE FOR ALL THREAD PAGES