Canon Digital Photography Forums  

Go Back   Canon Digital Photography Forums > 'Sharing Knowhow' section > Talk About Photography > Nature & Landscapes Talk
Register Rules FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 15th of February 2012 (Wed)   #1
cmoy

Default Photography gear restrictions...

at Machu Picchu. My wife and I are going with some friends in about 2 months. So psyched! Anyway, I've read they won't let you in with tripods and any lens that's 200mm or longer unless you pay a hefty fee I haven't been able to find anything on camera bodies. Has anyone been able to get in with a 1D series body? I'm not worried about lenses, will be taking my 15mm FE, 16-35 and 28-70. I apologize if this is the wrong to ask.

Thanks guys!
This ad block will go away when you log in as member
Old 17th of February 2012 (Fri)   #2
gygeek

Default Re: Photography gear restrictions...

Yeah, soaking is all that is. We were just at some ruins in Mexico, and they were extorting $5 from people with video cameras. It was interesting that cameras with a video setting were ok though.
gygeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th of February 2012 (Fri)   #3
cmoy

I had the same experience in Mexico. I don't mine 5 bucks but at Machi Picchu they want 300 bucks per "pro" gear! CRAZY! I can't find anything on camera bodies. I really want to take my 1Ds MK II.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gygeek View Post
Yeah, soaking is all that is. We were just at some ruins in Mexico, and they were extorting $5 from people with video cameras. It was interesting that cameras with a video setting were ok though.

Last edited by cmoy : 22nd of May 2012 (Tue) at 09:00.
cmoy is offline   Reply With Quote
This ad block will go away when you log in as member
Old 20th of February 2012 (Mon)   #4
LowriderS10
Cream of the Crop

wow...what utter crap...if you can't find the info here, try some travel message boards, they may be of more help!
LowriderS10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th of May 2012 (Wed)   #5
Soma Jones

I spent two and a half days at Machu Picchu last month. I saw three or four people carrying very small tripods though no one was actually using one. I brought in and used my 55-250 (wild chinchillas!)without the slightest hassle. No one at the gate ever questioned what I was carrying and I saw no notice anywhere about prohibited photography equipment or special fees.
I had a fantastic time. The site is far far bigger than I realized.

http://somajonesphotographs.zenfolio.com/p344889862

7D, XSI 450D, 15-85, 55-250, 50 1.8, 580exII, ...
Soma Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th of May 2012 (Thu)   #6
MajesticMomentsPhoto

@ cmoy, where did you read that? Im planning a trip myself. Wanted to take the 1DMKIV and one of my lenses would be the 70-200...

Last edited by MajesticMomentsPhoto : 22nd of May 2012 (Tue) at 02:01. Reason: spelling
MajesticMomentsPhoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th of May 2012 (Thu)   #7
Scatterbrained
Cream of the Crop

Quote:
Originally Posted by MajesticMomentsPhoto View Post
@ cmoy, where did you read that? Im planning a trip myself. Wanted to the the 1DMKIV and one of my lenses would be the 70-200...
I googled machu picchu photography fee and got a ton of hits. The first few I read said that it was a) a required form that cost $3oo, and b) seemingly random who got through and who got stopped.
Scatterbrained is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th of May 2012 (Fri)   #8
IslandCrow

What about bringing the 1D but also packing a point and shoot. If they won't let you in with the 1D, bring it back to the car (after vehemently arguing that you should be allowed to bring it in without paying the fee of course), and exchange it for the smaller camera.
IslandCrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd of May 2012 (Tue)   #9
MajesticMomentsPhoto

doing some more research, I have a bud who lives in Costa Rica and travels to Machu Pichu very freqently. I will post once I hear from him..
Old 22nd of May 2012 (Tue)   #10
cmoy

Sorry guys for the late reply. I had no problems getting my 1Ds MK II into Machu Picchu. I didn't bring a tripod or a 200mm tele. I had my lenses and body in neoprene bags in a regular backpack. No one was checking at the gate. We saw quite a few people with DSLR's. Some gripped but mostly not. I didn't see any other 1D series body besides mine. I didn't see too many long lenses, maybe 2-3 total. None were grey. I saw one guy with what looked like a series 2 Gitzo tripod right by the entrance. Another fella was using a monopod. Here's a shot my wife took of me climbing near the top of Wayna Picchu with my 1Ds MK II I'll post more photos when I have time.

What I carried to Machu Picchu:
1Ds MK II
15mm Fisheye
16-35 II
28-70 2.8

Old 22nd of May 2012 (Tue)   #11
cmoy

GREAT shots! Looks like we walked and shot the same streets in Cusco LOL We love the coca candy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soma Jones View Post
I spent two and a half days at Machu Picchu last month. I saw three or four people carrying very small tripods though no one was actually using one. I brought in and used my 55-250 (wild chinchillas!)without the slightest hassle. No one at the gate ever questioned what I was carrying and I saw no notice anywhere about prohibited photography equipment or special fees.
I had a fantastic time. The site is far far bigger than I realized.

http://somajonesphotographs.zenfolio.com/p344889862
Old 22nd of May 2012 (Tue)   #12
Soma Jones

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmoy View Post
GREAT shots! Looks like we walked and shot the same streets in Cusco LOL We love the coca candy!
Thank you , and yours are great as well. I was mildly disappointed not to get to go up Huaynu Picchu but man, that looked steep and arduous. I was gasping hard enough walking up the street in Cusco to Sexywoman. (Sacsayhuaman)

7D, XSI 450D, 15-85, 55-250, 50 1.8, 580exII, ...
Soma Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd of May 2012 (Tue)   #13
cmoy

Thanks! It was steep and scary at times but I was so BEAT that I had forgotten how high we were LOL My watch recorded 8,000+ feet shortly after the "25 min" sign. There was a lot of foliage along the edge of the steps so it wasn't as scary as I thought it would be. The climb down was just as difficult! It took us just over 4 hours to climb up and back down Wayna Pucchu It was no joke! Here's a few more photos...

http://www.christophergmoy.com/Famil...2861023_9gZZQ5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soma Jones View Post
Thank you , and yours are great as well. I was mildly disappointed not to get to go up Huaynu Picchu but man, that looked steep and arduous. I was gasping hard enough walking up the street in Cusco to Sexywoman. (Sacsayhuaman)
Old 22nd of May 2012 (Tue)   #14
MajesticMomentsPhoto

Great pics guys, my buddy reports that it all depends on many factors.

who is working the gate.
what your equipment looks like.

He usually takes a small carbon monopod, and takes the grip off his bodies.

He says white L lenses usually get you "classified" as a pro. and fees apply. when he has gone with his 1D MKIV he kept it in the bag with his ungripped 5d2 around his neck with a 24-105 and hasn't had a problem with fees.

Can't wait to go!
Old 22nd of May 2012 (Tue)   #15
cmoy

Yup, I had my 1Ds MK II in a neoprene bag in the bottom of my backpack under my raincoat