Canon Digital Photography Forums  

Go Back   Canon Digital Photography Forums > 'Sharing Knowhow' section > RAW, Post Processing and Printing > Computers
Register Rules FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 25th of May 2012 (Fri)   #1
DCMP

Default Help switch from Mac to PC, FCP to Premiere

I am switching from my mac units back to PC for budget concerns. While this new machine is intended to allow me to do serious filter work in PS, I do a good bit of video editing, feature length sometimes. I am also switching to Premiere from FCp to integrate my workflow for when do color grading and effects. So I understand the advantages of certain Nvidia cards, despite their being overpowered for PS use. What I am down to now is pre-built vs prebuilt vs self built.

I am interested in Alienware products for the reliability and size of the company. The exact reason i suspect I'll stay away from a smaller prebuilt like Cyberpower. I've never built my own from ground up, but I'm willing to try (been away from PC world for 6 years, but I'm a former Win98 tech. So i should be able to catch on). What makes me hesitate about building my own is lack of warranty and support. And extended warranty.

So, Is this Alienware rig acceptable for 1750? How would you rebuild the system (if self bought I'd start with a 570 or 580, instead of the 550)? Are PC components today as prone to random fail as i am used to from my past? What would you do for a core i7 Nvidia build?

And THANK YOU for your time and nerd skills. Mine have gotten soft, pampered by mac. But I am trying.

PROCESSOR Intel® Core™ i7-3820 (Quad Core, 10MB Cache) Overclocked up to 4.1GH
OPERATING SYSTEM Genuine Windows® 7 Home Premium, 64Bit, English
MEMORY 16GB Quad Channel DDR3 at 1600MHz
VIDEO CARD 1.25GB GDDR5 NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 560 Ti
HARD DRIVE 1TB SATA 6Gb/s (7,200RPM) 32MB Cache
MONITOR No Monitor
SOUND CARD Integrated 7.1 Channel Audio
WIRELESS & BLUETOOTH 802.11n Wi-Fi and Bluetooth 2.1 EDR USB Combo Adapter
OPTICAL DRIVE Single Drive: 24X CD/DVD burner (DVD+/-RW) w/double layer write capability
This ad block will go away when you log in as member