Canon Digital Photography Forums  

Go Back   Canon Digital Photography Forums > 'Sharing Knowhow' section > Talk About Photography > Still Life, B/W & Experimental Talk
Register Rules FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 30th of April 2012 (Mon)   #1
Bambi72

Default Waterdrop shots HOWTO

Hi,
I noticed quite a few threads about water drop shots, but no real how to for people wanting to know how to get some great shots, so I thought I would share what I have have picked up during my time as a drop addict.

They key to a good shot is freezing the action, and the best way to do this is to use your flash as the shutter, rather than your camera. Your on camera flash will work, but a separate flash gun is the best way. A flashgun can give you a burst of light as short as 1/20,000th of a second when its set to its lowest power, way faster than any DSLR's faster shutter speed. Using this in a dark(ish) room you can afford to set your shutter speed up to a 1 second exposure at ISO 200 or 400 without any loss in quality.

The next bit to master is getting your drops to land where you want them and a steady rate, especially if you are after collision shots like this.

The easiest way to do this is to build a device known as a mariotte syphon which is basically a bottle with a tube out of the bottom for the water to drip through, and one through the top to regulate the air flow. The speed at which your drops drip is based on the height difference between the bottom of the air intake tube and the water outlet tube. Bigger the difference, the faster your flow of drops. You can knock one up with some fish tank airline tube, a coke bottle and some silicone sealer for a couple of pounds/dollars. The best thing about a mariotte syphon is that the drop rate will not change however full or empty your water bottle gets, it stays constant.

You are aiming for a flow of drips that is almost a constant stream but not quite, maybe 10 drops a second or so. Its hard to say, but if you get things dripping and just sit firing off your flash gun while staring at the splashes you will be able to see if they are colliding or not, as the image gets burned into your retina for a split second. Having a pile of cd's to adjust the height difference between your bottle and outlet pipe is also handy to adjust the flow rate of the drops.

OK so you have go this far, you must be on your way to becoming a true drop-head.
Now you have your bottle dripping drips into your water tray, one hand on your camera remote release ( you have one of these dont you? makes life easier) one on your flash gun's test fire button. Fire off your cameras shutter, then hit the flash gun to set it off, after about 100 shots you might get one that's a keeper. Trust me once you get that first awesome shot you will be hooked. You do get an eye for the correct flow rate and once you get it right you will get collision after collision, and then it just down to timing the flash gun.

Right so now you have 'mastered' capturing collision shots its time to think about making them look cool.

You want a nice flat mill pond look with a magic splash in the middle, so you have to capture those first two drops hitting the water. Just hold a cup under the flow of drops (and have one hand on your camera remote release and one on your flash...) remove the cup, press the shutter, fire the flash and bingo! You all do have three hands right?
OK, I'll admit that last shot was taken using a trigger to fire the flash.

This is the next phase of your addiction, and this is where it starts costing you some money....
I started off with a infra-red beam trigger/delay unit bought from hi-viz, which 'watches' for a drip to pass thru an infra-red beam then fires your flash gun after a pre-determined delay. With one of these kits you can push your success rate from 1 in 100 to about 1 in 10 or less. They don't cost tooooo much either, and you don't have to know any electronics. If you can build an airfix plane, you can make one of these.

If you have got this far you probably don't need any help any more and you have googled stopshot, timemachine, and camera axe, and have seen what is commercially available to help you get those truly awesome shots. But if you are like me and don't have or like spending all that money there are cheaper ways to get sub-millisecond timing and total control over your water drops.

I think I will save this for another post if people are interested. have a peek at my crap website if you are. Oh and check out a flickr group I created for fellow drop-heads, Digital Drops

Sorry if this rambled on a bit and doesn't make much sense, but I hope it helps someone out there.

Made with my homebrew timing kit...
Bambi72 is offline   Reply With Quote
This ad block will go away when you log in as member
Old 30th of April 2012 (Mon)   #2
octanehammer

Default Re: Waterdrop shots HOWTO

Thanks for the info Bambi. But I am still a bit befuddled about a few things. Mostly shutter speed, aperture, and ISO. I did see you mentioned a 1 second exposure, but wouldn't that create a blurred drop? Unless you are only firing the flash at the exact correct moment.

The only flash I have available is the on-board flash on my T1-I. I am also using the 18-55mm IS kit lens. I know I could use a faster lens, but when on a show string budget I'm trying to make do as best as I can.

Any tips you could recommend would be great. Thanks in advance. And the pics are awesome!

Patrick
EF S 18-55mm IS
EF S 55-250mm IS
octanehammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st of May 2012 (Tue)   #3
Bambi72

With an onboard flash you are a bit limited I'm affraid, as you cant trigger it independently, so the 1 second exposure trick wont really work for you.
You can pick up very cheap second hand flash units from e-bay, but be aware older flash guns use much higher voltages than modern ones and can fry your camera, but if you are only going to fire them by hand this isn't a problem.
Old 5th of May 2012 (Sat)   #4
Milutiche

Cheers bambi, nice easy to follow "dummed down" tutorial, I'll have a go and post a couple of pics

Sports Photos on Facebook

Sports Photos on Flickr
Milutiche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th of May 2012 (Tue)   #5
huntersdad
Goldmember

What do you guys recommend for a lens for this? I'm thinking a macro or something with a short MFD for focusing purposes, but could be wrong.

1Dx, 1D4, 24-70, 70-200, 600II, 1.4x
huntersdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th of May 2012 (Sat)   #6
ncsa
Goldmember

Thanks Bambi - helpful thread... need to work on the lighting setup and camera positioning.

Testing by ncsabkk, on Flickr
Old 27th of May 2012 (Sun)   #7
fishbait

Video of drop shot with gun filmed at 4000 frames per second.

https://vimeo.com/42274885
fishbait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd of July 2012 (Sun)   #8
AznGuitarist31

Perfect, a thread on just what I needed! I am starting out doing high speed photography and I am wondering about lighting. These 2 were just tests using 1 500watt shop light, and wax paper as a backdrop.

I am wondering which is the best setup, to buy a ton of shop lights and create a setup like this? And just use the burst w/o any speedlites at all

So like 10 of them world be like $80 and I already have a sheet for a hi key white backdrop.

Or bite the bullet and get these and triggers
http://www.amazon.com/Yongnuo-YN-560...eed+sync+flash

They have HSS capability

Any help would be appriciated!!!!!
AznGuitarist31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd of July 2012 (Sun)   #9
fishbait

The image is captured with the flash, not the shutter. Shutters are much too slow to freeze the action.

Water drop shot with .22 caliber pellet. The action was captured with strobe firing at 1/38,000sec.

Old 11th of August 2012 (Sat)   #10
oscardog

wow thats amazing fishbait. So you do a slow shutter speed of like 1 second, and the flash exposes the shot 1/38,000 sec. What kinds of flashes are needed for those speeds?
oscardog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th of August 2012 (Sat)   #11
fishbait

Quote:
Originally Posted by oscardog View Post
wow thats amazing fishbait. So you do a slow shutter speed of like 1 second, and the flash exposes the shot 1/38,000 sec. What kinds of flashes are needed for those speeds?
Most good quality strobes are capable the short flash duration needed for these shots. I use a standard Nikon SB900 flash for my shots. The room is darkened to minimize ambient light.

To get the short duration flash, it is necessary to reduce the power output dramatically. I set my strobe at the minimum power setting (1/128th power) which will give a 1/38,500 second flash duration. The issue is then compensating for the reduced light output and the high f-stop (f16) required for adequate depth-of-field. As flash duration is reduced, total light output is reduced correspondingly.

I place the strobes (usually two) as close to the action as possible for maximum light.

Check the performance specs for the flash you have or want to determine the minimum duration it is capable producing.

Here is a shot of a single water drop being shot as it falls. The timing required to get this shot was in increments of 100,000ths of a second.