Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras
Thread started 29 May 2012 (Tuesday) 19:44
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

ef-s lenses on aps-h sensor

p32shooter
713 posts
Joined Jun 2007
May 29, 2012 19:44 |  #1

i now have a 1.3 crop factor aps-h 1d2n camera and a bunch of ef-s lenses for 40/50ds etc i understand that some like tokina 11-16 might be used in a lower zoom range with out hitting the mirror

anyone have experience with this? and recommendations for use? tia

wants for Ls :D , now have 400do;500f4is,600f4 :cool::cool: off to birding and airshows:):):)

sponsored links
The ­ Fox
Goldmember
1,709 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Jul 2007
Huntington Beach, Ca
May 29, 2012 20:08 |  #2

There has been a few people to mod EF-S lenses to work on non APS-C sensor cameras and it does work well.

All third party lenses (sigma, tamron, tokina, etc.) use the standard EF mount as canon is the only one to use the mount that blocks your ability to mate it with other cameras. You can no problem put those on full frame DSLR camera and the only real issue will be vignetting from the smaller image circle. I have used my 17-50mm F2.8 Tamron on a 5d, 5d mk II and 1d mk IIn with the only issue being vignetting in the extreme corners.

The EF-S lenses can work, but you have to change the mount and not mess anything up when you do and it is not something for the non mechanically inclined.

Nick

"I work from awkwardness. By that I mean I don't arrange things. If I stand in front of something, instead of arranging it, I arrange myself" -Diane Arbus
7D Gripped x2 | 50D Gripped | 17-50mm F2.8 | 35mm F1.4 | 50mm F1.4 | 85mm F1.8 | 70-200mm F4L IS |

LowriderS10
Cream of the Crop
10,170 posts
Joined Mar 2008
South Korea / Canada
May 29, 2012 20:47 |  #3

The Tokina won't hit the mirror regardless of how much you zoom in/out...however, at 11 mm it'll vignette severely (here's a shot I took @ 11 mm with the Tokina 11-16 on my old 1D Mark III):

IMAGE NOT FOUND IMAGE IS A REDIRECT OR MISSING!
HTTP response: NOT FOUND | MIME changed to 'image/gif' | Redirected to error image by FLICKR

I wasn't happy with the vignetting until about 13.5mm, which left the Tokina as basically a prime lens on the 1D3. While it may be a fun toy, I decided that I'd sell the lens and put the $$ towards a 16-35L instead. The 2.5mm won't make a huge difference, but I have a much more versatile and usable lens (and now that I've moved to FF, it makes even more sense to have the 16-35L vs. the Tokina).

-=Prints For Sale at PIXELS=-external link
-=Facebook=-external link
-=Flickr=-external link

-=Gear=-

SkipD
Cream of the Crop
20,446 posts
Joined Dec 2002
Southeastern WI, USA
May 29, 2012 20:51 |  #4

p32shooter wrote in post #14502819external link
i now have a 1.3 crop factor aps-h 1d2n camera and a bunch of ef-s lenses for 40/50ds etc i understand that some like tokina 11-16 might be used in a lower zoom range with out hitting the mirror

anyone have experience with this? and recommendations for use? tia

The only EF-S mount lenses ever made are Canon lenses.

None of the third-party "digital only" lenses are EF-S mount lenses. Thus, as stated above, they will mount to any EOS camera. However, you can expect the lenses which are designed for the APS-C format will cause vignetting on larger format cameras.

Skip Douglas
A few cameras and over 50 years behind them .....
..... but still learning all the time.

jhphotography
37 posts
Joined Jun 2010
May 29, 2012 22:40 |  #5

Does anyone know whats with the over the shoulder boulder holders? Or is it just me?

1d mII, 7d gripped, Ef 24-70, Ef 50 mII, Ef 85 1.8, Ef 17-40 f4, Ef 70-200 f2.8 is, 580ex II, 430ex, 540ez, sunpak, manfrotto 055xb

BryantFC
Goldmember
2,606 posts
Joined Jun 2011
New Orleans, LA
May 29, 2012 23:19 |  #6

SkipD wrote in post #14503135external link
The only EF-S mount lenses ever made are Canon lenses.

None of the third-party "digital only" lenses are EF-S mount lenses. Thus, as stated above, they will mount to any EOS camera. However, you can expect the lenses which are designed for the APS-C format will cause vignetting on larger format cameras.

You can't mount a sigma 30mm on a ff eos camera.

Mamiya M645 1000S, Mamiya RZ67, Polaroid SX-70 Alpha, Polaroid 250 Auto Land Camera, Leica M3, Canon Elan II
www.bryantphethmanh.co​mexternal link
http://www.flickr.com/​photos/bryantphethmanh​/external link

SkipD
Cream of the Crop
20,446 posts
Joined Dec 2002
Southeastern WI, USA
May 30, 2012 00:29 |  #7

BryantFC wrote in post #14503902external link
You can't mount a sigma 30mm on a ff eos camera.

Why not?

Skip Douglas

gremlin75
Goldmember
Joined Feb 2011
Detroit, MI
May 30, 2012 02:06 |  #8

SkipD wrote in post #14504131external link
Why not?

I'm wondering the same thing. To my understanding Sigma DC lenses use a standard EF mount but the image circle is made to only fit APS-C cameras. So any DC lens from sigma 'can' mount to a FF or APS-H body (meaning it will go on and the mirror will not smack the mount) but the image circle wont fit the whole sensor.

LowriderS10
Cream of the Crop
10,170 posts
Joined Mar 2008
South Korea / Canada
May 30, 2012 02:27 |  #9

While I'm by no means an expert...as far as I know, PHYSICALLY everything will mount on FF.

HOWEVER, if you take a picture with Canon's EF-S lenses, you COULD potentially destroy the mirror/rear element.

With third-party lenses, as far as I know ALL EF mount lenses mount and on all crop and FF bodies, however, on FF and APS-H bodies, they can lead to some serious vignetting.

-=Prints For Sale at PIXELS=-external link
-=Facebook=-external link
-=Flickr=-external link

-=Gear=-

KCY
Unlocked the hidden 117 point AF
7,170 posts
Joined Jun 2009
I wish I knew...
May 30, 2012 02:33 |  #10

EF-S lens will not mount on a FF camera, unless you modify the lens.

The EF-S series has a rear baffle that will physically prevent you from mounting it on a EF mount.

KC - The Circle of PoTN - Member of the UCPC
My Gear|My Smugmugexternal link|Pong

JohnB57
Goldmember
1,492 posts
Joined Jul 2010
Holmfirth, Yorkshire, England
May 30, 2012 04:10 |  #11

jhphotography wrote in post #14503710external link
Does anyone know whats with the over the shoulder boulder holders? Or is it just me?

No idea, but they're definitely not Full Frame.

p32shooter
THREAD ­ STARTER
713 posts
Joined Jun 2007
May 30, 2012 06:45 |  #12

maybe just "bra"ying at the topic?

wants for Ls :D , now have 400do;500f4is,600f4 :cool::cool: off to birding and airshows:):):)

SkipD
Cream of the Crop
20,446 posts
Joined Dec 2002
Southeastern WI, USA
May 30, 2012 07:22 |  #13

KCY wrote in post #14504435external link
EF-S lens will not mount on a FF camera, unless you modify the lens.

The EF-S series has a rear baffle that will physically prevent you from mounting it on a EF mount.

This is quite true, but to the best of my knowledge EF-S mount lenses are made ONLY by Canon.

BryantFC apparently thinks that the Sigma 30 f/1.4 is made to EF-S specifications and has a mount which will not connect to cameras not designed for Canon's EF-S lenses.

I did notice on B&H's web site that the "Camera Mount Type" specification is "Canon EF-S". I think this is just a misleading statement that the lens is designed for APS-C format cameras. Sigma's web site says nothing of the sort about "EF-S".

Skip Douglas

gremlin75
Goldmember
Joined Feb 2011
Detroit, MI
May 30, 2012 13:32 |  #14

SkipD wrote in post #14504989external link
I did notice on B&H's web site that the "Camera Mount Type" specification is "Canon EF-S". I think this is just a misleading statement that the lens is designed for APS-C format cameras. Sigma's web site says nothing of the sort about "EF-S".

Yeah sigma uses the "EF" mount no matter if the lens is designed for ff or APS-C, there is no "short back" (aka baffle) on sigme mounts so they should mount to a ff camera without issue.....other then the huge amounts of vignetting.

I think B&H lists it's as EF-S mount just so people won't confuse it as being a ff lens. Because in actuality it's not a ef-s mount just smaller image circle.

sponsored links

3,828 views & 0 likes for this thread
ef-s lenses on aps-h sensor
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.