FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Glamour & Nude Talk
Thread started 11 Jan 2012 (Wednesday) 13:45   
LIST NEARBY THREADS

Huntbear
Joined Apr 2011
79 posts
Washington State
[MORE/SHARE]

As a beginner in this field, I have a dumb question ...

For Glamour/Nude pictures, which is best?

Flash or Continuous or a combo of both?

Post #1, Jan 11, 2012 13:45:12

sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)
hawk911
Cream of the Crop
Joined Jul 2006
11,015 posts
Racine, Wisconsin
[MORE/SHARE]

continuous can be very hot temperature-wise, but it's a WYSIWYG. The downside though is you have to use higher iso and slower shutter speeds. Flash allows you to use low iso and faster shutter speed.

Post #2, Jan 11, 2012 15:48:07

HAWK Photography Galleryexternal link FB Fan pageexternal link|_My gear: 5d3, 70D & 40D (all gripped), 580exII, 550ex, Canon 24-70 L & 85 f1.8, 50mm f1.4; Tamron 70-200 SP Di VC, Canon 18-55, Sigma 1.4xtc; Elinchrom Whore, Skyport triggers, Speedotron BD and Kacey Grid, Vagabond minis

nathancarter
Goldmember
Joined Dec 2010
4,251 posts
[MORE/SHARE]

The newer generations of fluorescent continuous lighting don't get hot like the old tungsten or HMI lights. They get warm to the touch, but they don't bake the whole studio like tungstens.

Continuous lights are easy. Like hawk911 stated, they're WYSIWYG - what you see is what you get. That is, what you see through the viewfinder is what the picture will look like. You know exactly where your hotspots will be and where your shadows will fall. The downsides are they are not nearly as flexible. They're always on at the same intensity; the only way to make them brighter or dimmer is to move them closer or farther from the model. It's harder to change the quality of light with modifiers. And they don't get very bright (for photographic purposes anyway) so like hawk911 said you have to use a higher ISO and/or a slower shutter speed to get the exposure you want. It's also very difficult to blow out a white background with continuous lighting, without overexposing your subject.

Flashes are much more flexible, but a little more difficult to use. You can make them just about as bright or as dim as you like. You can buy or make all sorts of modifiers to change the quality, color, and direction of light that comes out of flashes. But, unless you're very experienced with flash and/or working in the same exact setup every time, there's always a little trial-and-error to get the "look" you want, to make sure the shadows are going where you want, to make sure you're not over- or under-exposing.

I have both and I use both, depending on my mood and what we're shooting. None of my stuff is very expensive; I have a Day-Flo 3-light continuous softbox kit that was $300 (on sale, normally $400); and for flashes I have the 430EXII and two Yongnuo YN-560s. I also have an assortment of other grip and modifiers - backdrops, booms, light stands, umbrellas, a homemade beauty dish.

You GENERALLY won't use a combination of both. It's unlikely that the color of the flashes will match the color of your continuous lights. Though one day I want to experiment with using flashes to blow out the background and continuous lights to light my subject, where the difference in color temperature won't matter.

Post #3, Jan 12, 2012 14:29:37

http://www.avidchick.n​etexternal link
http://flickr.com/nath​ancarterexternal link

hawk911
Cream of the Crop
Joined Jul 2006
11,015 posts
Racine, Wisconsin
[MORE/SHARE]

if you use daylight balanced CF bulbs, they will be very close the the flash temps. It's when you use tungsten and flash that you need CTO filters to balance the different colors.

Post #4, Jan 13, 2012 10:42:20

HAWK Photography Galleryexternal link FB Fan pageexternal link|_My gear: 5d3, 70D & 40D (all gripped), 580exII, 550ex, Canon 24-70 L & 85 f1.8, 50mm f1.4; Tamron 70-200 SP Di VC, Canon 18-55, Sigma 1.4xtc; Elinchrom Whore, Skyport triggers, Speedotron BD and Kacey Grid, Vagabond minis

sspellman
Goldmember
Joined Dec 2006
1,645 posts
Detroit, Michigan
[MORE/SHARE]

90% of professional photographers use strobes for people photos because they are more powerful, better softboxes and other modifiers, and have better remote synch and other controls. Strobes and daylight can be easily used together, but strobes and continuous lights together are a rare sight.

Many beginners start with some soft of continuous light for $$$ or simplicity but usually wind up getting strobes anyways.

-Scott

-Scott

Post #5, Jan 13, 2012 14:59:35

ScottSpellmanMedia.com [photography]

sponsored links
inhousestudiosatl
Joined Mar 2011
36 posts
[MORE/SHARE]
banned

Overall studio flash is far superior to continuous lighting for the reasons listed below. We prefer studio flash but it really is a matter of personal taste. There are of course those occassions when continuous lights will allow you to do things not possible with flash, but this works both ways. If you're undecided about which is best for you, why not hire the two types of lighting and have a test shoot.

Post #6, May 29, 2012 20:17:34

inhousestudiosatl
Joined Mar 2011
36 posts
[MORE/SHARE]
banned

i use alien bees i think they are great and affordable.

Post #7, May 29, 2012 20:18:32

RichSoansPhotos
Cream of the Crop
Joined Aug 2007
5,618 posts
London, UK
[MORE/SHARE]

Huntbear wrote in post #13686705external link
As a beginner in this field, I have a dumb question ...

For Glamour/Nude pictures, which is best?

Flash or Continuous or a combo of both?

Depends on what the nature of the lighting is. Some togs prefer low key lighting. I know that Glamour need high-key lighting. Continuous can be good to fill in those shadows that flash tend to leave when shooting a subject, but you can achieve the same with two flash guns

Post #8, May 31, 2012 03:43:51

Bodies: Canon 50D, Canon 5DMKII
Lenses: Canon 50mm 1.8, Canon 85mm 1.8 USM,
Canon 16-35mm 2.8L USM II Canon 24-70mm 2.8L USM, Canon 70-200mm 2.8L IS USM II
Compact: Canon G12 www.richiesoansphotogr​aphy.co.ukexternal link

ZoneV
Goldmember
Joined Dec 2010
1,438 posts
Germany
[MORE/SHARE]

Bit late:
I started with flash - a very cheap studio flash setup with 160Ws.
That was good for some years.
But I started to use more and more manual focus lenses - and with this the love for fast lenses. Now I like at the moment to shoot nude images at ~f/1.2 - with the continuous light from the flash bulbs. They only have 75 Watt power at this cheap flashes. So I think to modify some cheap floodlights.

Post #9, Jul 24, 2012 17:23:39

DIY-Homepageexternal link - Image Galleryexternal link - Gear List

charlesu
Goldmember
Joined Jan 2003
4,260 posts
Somewhere south
[MORE/SHARE]

I have always used strobes but am considering some of the new LED lights.

Post #10, Jul 24, 2012 21:17:36

Thanks for stopping in and having a look.
Prints of my work are available for purchase. Please contact me offline or thru PM if you are interested.

Mark_Cohran
Cream of the Crop
Joined Jul 2002
15,545 posts
Portland, Oregon
[MORE/SHARE]

Many, many years ago, I started out with continuous lighting, but the lights are so hot, the colors shift as the bulbs age, and they can be a fire hazard. I get far better results with strobes (and modeling lights).

Post #11, Aug 01, 2012 16:19:28

Mark
-----
Some primes, some zooms, some Ls, some bodies and they all play nice together.
Thirty-five years of shooting and still learning.
My G&N Blogexternal link (NSFW)- My Complete Gear Listexternal link - Mac-Photo Websiteexternal link - My Tumblr Siteexternal link (NSFW)
G&N FORUM EARLY ACCESS & IMAGE POSTING RULES

sponsored links
RACINGHART03
Joined Feb 2012
908 posts
[MORE/SHARE]

I AGONIZED about this....and went with a strobe setup and have ZERO regrets. I couldnt imagine trying to do what I do without them. The power and ease of adjustment along with the endless array of modifiers makes it no contest for me...Anyone ever try and snoot a lightbulb?

Post #12, Aug 04, 2012 14:47:55

500PXexternal linkFLICKRexternal link
Canon 5DMKIII Gripped X 2, 35MM 1.4/ 50MM 1.2/ 85MM 1.2/ 135MM 2.0/ 16-35 F2.8LII/ 24-70 F2.8L/ 70-200 F2.8L IS/ 300mm IS 4.0L/100MM 2.8L Macro/ 1.4II range extender/ 600ex-RT X4 /Ste3/ MR14X II

LIST NEARBY THREADS
10,158 views & 0 likes for this thread
Flash or Continuous lighting ????
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Glamour & Nude Talk

NOT A MEMBER YET? CLICK HERE TO REGISTER TO FORUMS

CHANGE BODY TEXT SIZE FOR ALL THREAD PAGES