Canon Digital Photography Forums  

Go Back   Canon Digital Photography Forums > 'Sharing Knowhow' section > Talk About Photography
Register Rules FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 9th of May 2012 (Wed)   #1
jser

Default What is this attitude about wanting the latest camera

Years ago when I moved from my Nikkormat FTn to my new Nikon Photomic F FTn I went to Duvalls Photographic in Hounslow to trade in my old camera in mint condition, I kept the f2 Nikkor lens and was asked by the chap "did I want the NEW F2 instead that had just come out", "no", I wanted the F, my dream, and that camera stayed with me for 20+ years until through no fault of mine it went, I was paid out and bought into the Canon range with an EOS300.

New cameras came and went but I knew that camera inside and out, what I could/not do with it an how.

Now I have the 60D and my teenage son the D3100 with 28-300 Nikkor VR, but I find myself looking on the internet almost daily for news of either the D700 replacament or the 7D.

Ok I would like a second body, but why am I becoming obsessed with it, I doubt there is really anyone here (no insults intended) who really can honestly say they know every aspect of whatever camera they have so well that all 100% of the functions come as second nature, like a word processor, we learn what we need to but few really scratch the surface of the softwares possibilities.

So why are we many of us, obsessed with changing, or when needing a second body, driven to distraction by the damn companies keeping us on tenterhooks.

Blasted good tactics on behalf of Nikon and Canon.
Old 9th of May 2012 (Wed)   #2
va_rider
Goldmember

Default Re: What is this attitude about wanting the latest camera

Well.. The answer is really quite simple... They're better.

When a new body comes out, you look at the specs and think about how those specs would effect your shooting...

Faster frame rate? "Think about those shots I wouldn't have missed at 14fps".....

Better ISO performance? "If I could have gotten clean shots at ISO 12,800, I wouldn't have this grainy picture in front of me"

And so it goes ... On and on. It's not like Canon is just slapping a new name and a new color on an existing body and shoving it out the door... Anytime there are rather significant improvements, we'll be tempted. I'd also add that today's technology connected world allows us to all find out about this stuff and study it more... 20 years ago, you might not know that a new body was released until you walked into an actual brick and mortar camera shop and saw it in the case... Even then, you'd have to talk to someone about it to figure out what changes were made....

I'm not a professional photographer, and I don't want to be.
Flickr
va_rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th of May 2012 (Wed)   #3
Joe Ravenstein
Goldmember

How many times have you bought the latest and greatest computer only to find out After you have paid for it you hear there is a new one coming out tomorrow or as you are checking out have the clerk mention we will have the mark 2 on the floor later today. Cameras are updated sometimes unannounced like software fixes to correct an error on the installation CD. hmmm that might explain why I am seeing ads for 2013 cars already.
Old 9th of May 2012 (Wed)   #4
pbelarge
Goldmember

Why are we not all driving Ford Model T cars?

The same pretty much goes with most new technology today.

Pierre
pbelarge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th of May 2012 (Wed)   #5
jser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Ravenstein View Post
How many times have you bought the latest and greatest computer only to find out After you have paid for it you hear there is a new one coming out tomorrow .
Never, I build my own

What I find interesting is that the comments on the "Canon" forum are 100% totally different to those on a general photo forum and most of the comments here show that people upgrade aparently because they "want the latest" rather than "needing"
Old 9th of May 2012 (Wed)   #6
gjl711
human (barely) and bribable

Film days = Camera was a holder for the film. The film and glass is what defined the quality of the image. The body had a few features like metering and AF but the differences between bodies had little impact on the quality of the image.

Digital days = Embedded in the body is the film. With each generation the sensor gets better, more resolution, better ISO performance, gap less micro lenses and such. In addition, the body is stuffed with features that help you get the shot and do some internal processing to boot. It's very different from the film days.

I wondered why the baseball was getting bigger, then it hit me
::Flickr::
::Gear::
gjl711 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th of May 2012 (Wed)   #7
jser

WRONG with each generation the sensor does NOT get better that is an illusion perhaps every THIRD. Or have you fallen for that too.
Old 9th of May 2012 (Wed)   #8
va_rider
Goldmember

It depends on the exact product line you're looking at. With the higher end of the product line, the sensor, ISO Handling, and AF System tends to improve with EVERY generation. Not every third generation.

With the xxxD and xxxxD line, the improvements are usually rather small... and they tend to get outdated technology from the other, higher models.

With the xxD line, the improvements are greater than in the lower product line, and they typically receive new image sensors and processors.

With the xD line, improvements tend to be the latest and greatest sensors and processors. They get the top-shelf parts, which then trickle down to the lower models over time.

No-one is saying that you have to run out and get the latest and greatest... and honestly, I don't see many people that do. We've got a ton of people here on the forum who are still shooting with the 1D(s) Mark II and Mark I systems... We've got plenty with 1D MK III's who didn't run out to get the MK IV.... there are plenty of people who are still working with the 5D and new people every day are upgrading and still using the 5D MKII....

I'm not a professional photographer, and I don't want to be.
Flickr
va_rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th of May 2012 (Wed)   #9
gjl711
human (barely) and bribable

Quote:
Originally Posted by jser View Post
WRONG with each generation the sensor does NOT get better that is an illusion perhaps every THIRD. Or have you fallen for that too.
There are improvements, maybe fewer recently as the technology is topping out, but improvements none the less. The 5Dmkii to 5Dmkiii is probably a poor example as the sensors hardly changes but the D700 to D800 is quite dramatic. And if you compare the 5DMki to the 5DMkii the change was quite dramatic as well. Other cameras are similar. The change up the xxxD line was noticeable up until recently and in the 1D line as well. The point is that with each new camera body, the boundaries of what was photographable has increased. Not so long ago ISO 1600 was considered a reasonable top end. Now ISO 6400 is nothing and ISO 128000 is delivering very usable images.

I wondered why the baseball was getting bigger, then it hit me
::Flickr::
::Gear::
gjl711 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th of May 2012 (Sat)   #10
FlyingPhotog
Cream of the "Prop"

Quote:
Originally Posted by jser View Post
You gonna sit there and try to tell me the 1DMkIV isn't better than the 1DMkIII?

Bollocks...
Old 4th of June 2012 (Mon)   #11
garbidz

I was totally happy with my 40 D. My son needed money so he gave me his 5DII and I gave him my 40D.
He returned my 24-70 and I gave him the IS 17-85 and the 10-22. I paid a couple of rents for him.
I started shooting with the 5D II and the happy days are here again.
He is not that happy with the 40D.

Would I want the 5D III?
You bet!
Since I hardly master the functions on the 5D II, and I can overcome the glitches of its focusing system, I cannot in my current economical situation justify an upgrade even though I'd love to. I still have a couple of ES-S lenses so I might just be able to justify upgrading my ancient 350 D to something wit a better captor and an SD slot.

5D II for the wide and a 7D for the tele shots. And for anything that moves...as they say, the 7D focuses a lot better.

It is just in my current situation I cannot justify any more gadgets.
If ever I take a Safari to ZA, I'll rent an 1.6 sensor body from there.

I do not need the latest camera, especially after having seen how much stuff you have to upgrade and buy to make it work ans the one you already got used to.

I see the point of the Leicaheads. This is what I shoot with, now let's thin about taking pictures.
The monochrome Leica will get some followers, I wish they'd do something at Fuji.

Nearly bought the fixed-lense x-something.
Had it been high-resolution BW only I might have slipped.