Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk
Thread started 04 Apr 2012 (Wednesday) 08:26
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Composition and all that Arty stuff - discussion thread.

FlyingPhotog
Cream of the "Prop"
57,560 posts
Joined May 2007
Probably Chasing Aircraft
Jun 06, 2012 13:51 |  #646

Can we stop calling a small series of eight images (or less) a "body of work" please?

Your body of work is what they find when you're dead. Ansel Adams has a body of work. Living photographers are still producing and adding on.

This is an interesting thread but reading through it, I find a couple of folks need to dial back using the $.75 words and stop throwing around high brow concepts they read about somewhere.

Jay
Crosswind Imagesexternal link
Facebook Fan Pageexternal link

"If you aren't getting extraordinary images from today's dSLRs, regardless of brand, it's not the camera!" - Bill Fortney, Nikon Corp.

sponsored links
mtimber
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
5,011 posts
Joined Mar 2010
Cambs, UK
Jun 06, 2012 14:22 |  #647

FlyingPhotog wrote in post #14540639external link
Can we stop calling a small series of eight images (or less) a "body of work" please?

Your body of work is what they find when you're dead. Ansel Adams has a body of work. Living photographers are still producing and adding on.

This is an interesting thread but reading through it, I find a couple of folks need to dial back using the $.75 words and stop throwing around high brow concepts they read about somewhere.

This is a thread where people get to learn, discuss and share.

Everyone here is free to express themselves as they see fit, as long as they are in line with board policy and standards.

Volatile statements like:

a couple of folks need to dial back using the $.75 words and stop throwing around high brow concepts they read about somewhere

Does nothing to deepen the conversation.

Lets keep it polite shall we Jay?

"I have applied for jobs at National Geographic, Sports Illustrated and Playboy. The phone should start ringing any minute now" (Curtis N)

mtimber
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
5,011 posts
Joined Mar 2010
Cambs, UK
Jun 06, 2012 14:24 |  #648

This thread has a good tone and is enjoyed by many, there is no need for any type of volatile statements.

"Lovely photo, you must have a really good camera"

jetcode
Cream of the Crop
6,234 posts
Joined Jul 2009
West Marin
Jun 06, 2012 15:00 |  #649

Jay is right. The correct term for a collection of like images is a portfolio. In some circles this is usually 6-12 images max. There is a collective theme across the images. There may be several portfolios of the same subject creating a catalog. There may be multiple catalogs in a collection. The collection of all catalogs represents a body of work. Of course this is my POV on this subject. An example Adams shot school pictures for a living as well as the landscapes. Both collections represent his body of work and I think it is fair to point out he destroyed nearly all his negatives except the very best images which represent his vision as he wanted it remembered.

elrey2375
Thinks it's irresponsible
4,980 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Nov 2011
Jun 06, 2012 15:07 |  #650

mtimber wrote in post #14540817external link
This is a thread where people get to learn, discuss and share.

Everyone here is free to express themselves as they see fit, as long as they are in line with board policy and standards.

Volatile statements like:

Does nothing to deepen the conversation.

Lets keep it polite shall we Jay?

Good points. I'm not sure what highbrow concepts were introduced. The thread, after all, is titled "Composition and all that Arty Stuff" so isn't that expected? There may exist the possibility that some actually understand these so-called 'high brow' concepts and believe they are a valid form of expression and understanding. As for $.75 words, should we merely grunt and thump our chests? :cool:

http://emjfotografi.co​m/external link
http://500px.com/EMJFo​tografiexternal link

FlyingPhotog
Cream of the "Prop"
57,560 posts
Joined May 2007
Probably Chasing Aircraft
Jun 06, 2012 15:13 |  #651

Not my intent to upset anyone...

I simply wanted to point out that sometimes, discussions can become discussions about discussion and lose sight of their original purpose.

I'm not suggesting we become mono-syllabic and go club women over the head. Conversely, there's no need to consult a Thesaurus to simply say "I Like That Image."

Carry On...

Jay
Crosswind Imagesexternal link
Facebook Fan Pageexternal link

"If you aren't getting extraordinary images from today's dSLRs, regardless of brand, it's not the camera!" - Bill Fortney, Nikon Corp.

mtimber
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
5,011 posts
Joined Mar 2010
Cambs, UK
Jun 06, 2012 15:13 |  #652

elrey2375 wrote in post #14541016external link
Good points. I'm not sure what highbrow concepts were introduced. The thread, after all, is titled "Composition and all that Arty Stuff" so isn't that expected? There may exist the possibility that some actually understand these so-called 'high brow' concepts and believe they are a valid form of expression and understanding. As for $.75 words, should we merely grunt and thump our chests? :cool:

I have found this thread extremely valuable and have really appreciated the discussions with many people, I have learned a lot and learned many new concepts.

It is important to try to understand one another and each others viewpoints, even if we do not necessarily agree.

I have particularly enjoyed discussing and debating with Allen, as my mind has been stretched in new directions many times.

I am here to learn.

And it is okay to disagree and debate, as long as it is civil, aimed at the subject and not the poster...

"Owning lots of expensive gear is very important. I helps those of us without talent appear as if we really know what we're doing" (Belmondo)

mtimber
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
5,011 posts
Joined Mar 2010
Cambs, UK
Jun 06, 2012 15:14 |  #653

FlyingPhotog wrote in post #14541057external link

I simply wanted to point out that sometimes, discussions can become discussions about discussion and lose sight of their original purpose.

I'm not suggesting we become mono-syllabic and go club women over the head. Conversely, there's no need to consult a Thesaurus to simply say "I Like That Image."

Carry On...

I want to understand the point you were making Jay.

But I am still not entirely clear what you objected to?

"Owning lots of expensive gear is very important. I helps those of us without talent appear as if we really know what we're doing" (Belmondo)

mtimber
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
5,011 posts
Joined Mar 2010
Cambs, UK
Jun 06, 2012 15:16 |  #654

Lets try this one again?

What would you have done differently?

IMAGE NOT FOUND IMAGE IS A REDIRECT OR MISSING!
HTTP response: NOT FOUND | MIME changed to 'image/gif' | Redirected to error image by FLICKR

In the trees... (external link) by mtimber1971 (external link), on Flickr

You'll be late for everything because the light was right and the action was good (magoosmc)

elrey2375
4,980 posts
Joined Nov 2011
Jun 06, 2012 15:18 |  #655

mtimber wrote in post #14541075 (external link)
Lets try this one again?

What would you have done differently?

NOT FOUND IMAGE IS A REDIRECT OR MISSING!
HTTP response: NOT FOUND | MIME changed to 'image/gif' | Redirected to error image by FLICKR

In the trees... (external link) by mtimber1971 (external link), on Flickr

He's centered and my eye wonders down the path before coming back to the subject. I would rather it be in reverse order. I probably would have been a bit closer, so he is more of the frame and THEN I am led off down the path.

airfrogusmc
I'm a chimper. There I said it...
Joined May 2007
Oak Park, Illinois
Jun 06, 2012 15:54 |  #656

FlyingPhotog wrote in post #14541057external link

Conversely, there's no need to consult a Thesaurus to simply say "I Like That Image."

Jay, as far as simply to say I like that image is kinda what this thread is try to push beyond isn't it? Looking for more than just "I Like". Looking for WHY I like.

airfrogusmc
Joined May 2007
Oak Park, Illinois
Jun 06, 2012 15:58 |  #657

A body of work can be a portfolio or an entire lifes work.

http://painting.about.​com ...saryb/g/defbodyofwo​rk.htmexternal link

elrey2375
4,980 posts
Joined Nov 2011
Jun 06, 2012 15:58 |  #658

airfrogusmc wrote in post #14541250external link
Jay, as far as simply to say I like that image is kinda what this thread is try to push beyond isn't it? Looking for more than just "I Like". Looking for WHY I like.

Exactly. We have plenty of threads that are filled with nothing but 'that's good' or 'I like it'. It's like saying every baby you see is cute. C'mon, some of those babies are ugly.

airfrogusmc
Joined May 2007
Oak Park, Illinois
Jun 06, 2012 15:58 |  #659

I never got that Jay was trying to upset anyone....

airfrogusmc
Joined May 2007
Oak Park, Illinois
Jun 06, 2012 16:00 |  #660

elrey2375 wrote in post #14541089external link
He's centered and my eye wonders down the path before coming back to the subject. I would rather it be in reverse order. I probably would have been a bit closer, so he is more of the frame and THEN I am led off down the path.

I agree, way to much head room and maybe the folks on the bikes in the background need to be included more or not at all. :confused:

sponsored links

348,516 views & 58 likes for this thread
Composition and all that Arty stuff - discussion thread.
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.