Canon Digital Photography Forums  

Go Back   Canon Digital Photography Forums > 'Equipment Talk' section > Canon EOS Digital Cameras
Register Rules FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read



Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 8th of June 2012 (Fri)   #16
jthomps123
Member
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 472
Default Re: T4i sensor vs. Nikon D7000/D3200

Quote:
Originally Posted by themadman View Post
Good thing all those people buying a T4i are buying a CAMERA and not just a SENSOR eh? This is also an entry level camera, I highly doubt many people who buy these even edit much on a computer. No editing means you won't see the increase in DR anyways.

If you buy a D3200 you don't get...

1. DoF preview button
2. flash control
3. 5FPS Shooting (only 4FPS)
4. HSS
5. AEB
6. 9 cross types

Plus you don't have Nikon's build in af motor so older lenses will not af and i personally think 24MP is way too much for an entry level APS-C sensor camera (I think 18MP is too much as well). Due to the high pixel density, it will take good lenses and good technique to shoot nice crisp shots... unfortunately, most people buying an entry level camera lack good lenses and good technique.
Hogwash about the high-pixel density requiring hi$ lens or technique... anyone in the market for a D3200 sure as hell doesnt have Nikkor AF lens so the screw drive issue is moot.

Lastly the 3200 is Nikons bottom level body is it not? So its not prudent to compare body features with a t4i series especially in a thread discussing image quality. Which we all know Canon sensors in any range cannot compete with Nikon's on any level.
__________________
1Ds Mk 2 / 5D Mk 3 | 17-40L | 24-105L | 35L | 50/1.4 | 85/1.8 | 100L | 70-200L Mk 2 | 580 EXII x 2
GH2 | 14-140 | 20/1.7
Elinchrom Quadra A's
jthomps123 is offline   Reply With Quote
This ad block will go away when you log in as member
Old 8th of June 2012 (Fri)   #17
jwcdds
Cream of the Crop
 
jwcdds's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Santa Monica, CA
Posts: 11,925
Default Re: T4i sensor vs. Nikon D7000/D3200

Quote:
Originally Posted by jthomps123 View Post
Ha... yeah right. They will notice better quality jpegs? HAHA. No. They will notice the name, hey every other mother has a 'Rebel'.... it 'must' be better.
They sure as heck aren't buying it because of Andre Agassi anymore, that's for sure.
__________________
Julian
Gear/Feedbacks | SmugMug | Blog
My Review | "The Mighty One"
Founding member and President of the BOGUS Photo Club (Blatantly-Over-Geared & Under-Skilled)
jwcdds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th of June 2012 (Fri)   #18
cameraperson
Member
 
cameraperson's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Atlanta, GA.
Posts: 808
Default Re: T4i sensor vs. Nikon D7000/D3200

http://nikonrumors.com/2012/06/06/ni...era-ever.aspx/

See how meaningless dxo marks can be, if you don't understand things? I don't believe for a second the 3200 is as good a camera as the d3s. I have a 6mp camera and the images look fine.

edit: dxo never seems to like canon sensors. don't know why.
__________________
20D, Xsi, 18-55

Last edited by cameraperson : 8th of June 2012 (Fri) at 21:28.
cameraperson is offline   Reply With Quote
This ad block will go away when you log in as member
Old 8th of June 2012 (Fri)   #19
jthomps123
Member
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 472
Default Re: T4i sensor vs. Nikon D7000/D3200

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwcdds View Post
They sure as heck aren't buying it because of Andre Agassi anymore, that's for sure.
Image is everything my friend! LOL.

Not sure who is shilling for them nowadays... but rest assured anyone not doing their homework before buying cares nothing about Digic5's jpeg processing improvement, nor would they even notice.

First time DSLR buyers who do their homework will buy a Nikon, rather than a camera leaning on a 4 year old sensor. Soccer moms probably outweigh the first time enthusiast so Canon probably made a strategically smart move in rehashing their crappy sensor into a new body that mommies all over will devour, but lets not pretend this isnt a valid topic for a 'gearhead' forum.
__________________
1Ds Mk 2 / 5D Mk 3 | 17-40L | 24-105L | 35L | 50/1.4 | 85/1.8 | 100L | 70-200L Mk 2 | 580 EXII x 2
GH2 | 14-140 | 20/1.7
Elinchrom Quadra A's
jthomps123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th of June 2012 (Fri)   #20
jthomps123
Member
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 472
Default Re: T4i sensor vs. Nikon D7000/D3200

Quote:
Originally Posted by cameraperson View Post
http://nikonrumors.com/2012/06/06/ni...era-ever.aspx/

See how meaningless dxo marks can be, if you don't understand things? I don't believe for a second the 3200 is as good a camera as the d3s. I have a 6mp camera and the images look fine.
Who is claiming so? The camera is entry level, but the sensor is better than just about anything Canon can offer on any level.

A second shooter of mine has been using a D3200 on gigs and has captured awesome results. It's video is crisper and holds much more resolution than my 5d3, and is every bit as good (although I prefer the 5d's colors).
__________________
1Ds Mk 2 / 5D Mk 3 | 17-40L | 24-105L | 35L | 50/1.4 | 85/1.8 | 100L | 70-200L Mk 2 | 580 EXII x 2
GH2 | 14-140 | 20/1.7
Elinchrom Quadra A's
jthomps123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th of June 2012 (Fri)   #21
themadman
Cream of the Crop
 
themadman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Northern California
Posts: 18,860
Default Re: T4i sensor vs. Nikon D7000/D3200

Quote:
Originally Posted by jthomps123 View Post
Hogwash about the high-pixel density requiring hi$ lens or technique... anyone in the market for a D3200 sure as hell doesnt have Nikkor AF lens so the screw drive issue is moot.

Lastly the 3200 is Nikons bottom level body is it not? So its not prudent to compare body features with a t4i series especially in a thread discussing image quality. Which we all know Canon sensors in any range cannot compete with Nikon's on any level.
Care to provide some explanation on this clearly erroneous comment?
__________________
Will | WilliamLiuPhotography.com | Gear List and Feedback | CPS Member | Have you Pre-Ordered Your 3Dx Yet? | HorusBennu Discussion | In honor of Uncle Steve, thanks for everything! 10-5-2011
themadman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th of June 2012 (Fri)   #22
jwcdds
Cream of the Crop
 
jwcdds's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Santa Monica, CA
Posts: 11,925
Default Re: T4i sensor vs. Nikon D7000/D3200

But let's also not forget gearheads don't drive the entry-model market. We can discuss until we're all blue in the face but Canon's the one laughing while running all the way to the bank suckering more people to buy a 4 year old 18mp sensor. So obviously IQ is not a concern because they've now added an iPod touchscreen. Thanks to Apple and their touchscreen devices, Canon can ride the coattails and sucker people into buying their newest Rebel (disregard the cobwebs on the sensor).

Every kid/teenager in the past 5 years have owned, touched, or wanted a touchscreen device. It's become 2nd nature in today's world. And the T4i fits nicely as another touchscreen device to go along with their iPhones and iPads.
__________________
Julian
Gear/Feedbacks | SmugMug | Blog
My Review | "The Mighty One"
Founding member and President of the BOGUS Photo Club (Blatantly-Over-Geared & Under-Skilled)
jwcdds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th of June 2012 (Fri)   #23
cameraperson
Member
 
cameraperson's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Atlanta, GA.
Posts: 808
Default Re: T4i sensor vs. Nikon D7000/D3200

Quote:
Originally Posted by jthomps123 View Post
Who is claiming so? The camera is entry level, but the sensor is better than just about anything Canon can offer on any level.

A second shooter of mine has been using a D3200 on gigs and has captured awesome results. It's video is crisper and holds much more resolution than my 5d3, and is every bit as good (although I prefer the 5d's colors).
I've seen great results on many cameras.
__________________
20D, Xsi, 18-55
cameraperson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th of June 2012 (Fri)   #24
jthomps123
Member
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 472
Default Re: T4i sensor vs. Nikon D7000/D3200

Quote:
Originally Posted by themadman View Post
Care to provide some explanation on this clearly erroneous comment?
I dont really care to but I will in this case to stop the spread of erroneous dogma that seems to permeate the internet.

A hi-res sensor doesn't automatically make you take less sharp photos than you were taking with you last camera just by virtue of having more resolution. Camera shake might be more noticeable due to increased detail but will in NO WAY reduce ANY picture takers ability to produce the same exact prints they were taking with their previous camera. Now obviously if they were wanting to take advantage of the higher res sensor to make larger prints than better lens/technique could very well come into play... but this is surely a great 'problem' to have... IMO. But even then we are talking just a 6mp increase from 18, nothing like jump to the D800's resolution where lens/technique come into real play for pixel peepers.
__________________
1Ds Mk 2 / 5D Mk 3 | 17-40L | 24-105L | 35L | 50/1.4 | 85/1.8 | 100L | 70-200L Mk 2 | 580 EXII x 2
GH2 | 14-140 | 20/1.7
Elinchrom Quadra A's
jthomps123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th of June 2012 (Fri)   #25
jthomps123
Member
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 472
Default Re: T4i sensor vs. Nikon D7000/D3200

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwcdds View Post
But let's also not forget gearheads don't drive the entry-model market. We can discuss until we're all blue in the face but Canon's the one laughing while running all the way to the bank suckering more people to buy a 4 year old 18mp sensor. So obviously IQ is not a concern because they've now added an iPod touchscreen. Thanks to Apple and their touchscreen devices, Canon can ride the coattails and sucker people into buying their newest Rebel (disregard the cobwebs on the sensor).

Every kid/teenager in the past 5 years have owned, touched, or wanted a touchscreen device. It's become 2nd nature in today's world. And the T4i fits nicely as another touchscreen device to go along with their iPhones and iPads.
Preaching to the choir my friend. I already stated this above... but thats immaterial to the topic @ hand *which is Canon's 18mp apsc sensor's ability to compete with Nikons in the arena of IQ. This is a gearhead forum, this is exactly the kinds of things that get discussed. I dont think the OP's intention was to initiate a conversation on how good the t4i's sales figures will look in comparison...etc.
__________________
1Ds Mk 2 / 5D Mk 3 | 17-40L | 24-105L | 35L | 50/1.4 | 85/1.8 | 100L | 70-200L Mk 2 | 580 EXII x 2
GH2 | 14-140 | 20/1.7
Elinchrom Quadra A's
jthomps123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th of June 2012 (Fri)   #26
Mike55
User is banned from forums
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Chicago, Illinois
Posts: 4,206
Default Re: T4i sensor vs. Nikon D7000/D3200

Quote:
Originally Posted by themadman View Post
Good thing all those people buying a T4i are buying a CAMERA and not just a SENSOR eh? This is also an entry level camera, I highly doubt many people who buy these even edit much on a computer. No editing means you won't see the increase in DR anyways.

If you buy a D3200 you don't get...

1. DoF preview button
2. flash control
3. 5FPS Shooting (only 4FPS)
4. HSS
5. AEB
6. 9 cross types

Plus you don't have Nikon's build in af motor so older lenses will not af and i personally think 24MP is way too much for an entry level APS-C sensor camera (I think 18MP is too much as well). Due to the high pixel density, it will take good lenses and good technique to shoot nice crisp shots... unfortunately, most people buying an entry level camera lack good lenses and good technique.

The camera is the sensor, period. All the fluff and crap in the world doesn't matter if the sensor isn't up to snuff.

18mp is too many pixels for a 1.6 crop sensor. Images looks waxy and noisy.
Mike55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th of June 2012 (Fri)   #27
Mike55
User is banned from forums
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Chicago, Illinois
Posts: 4,206
Default Re: T4i sensor vs. Nikon D7000/D3200

Quote:
Originally Posted by jthomps123 View Post
Hogwash about the high-pixel density requiring hi$ lens or technique....
Sure it does. You'll lose considerable hand-holding ability. 18mp on a 1.6 crop sucks. It's a significant leap back towards the consumer super zooms like the Canon S2 and Panasonic FZ 30, except now you get much more weight and bulk.

There's just something *wrong* about how Canon's images look now. They are getting whipped in this area.
Mike55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th of June 2012 (Fri)   #28
jthomps123
Member
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 472
Default Re: T4i sensor vs. Nikon D7000/D3200

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike55 View Post
Sure it does. You'll lose considerable hand-holding ability. 18mp on a 1.6 crop sucks. It's a significant leap back towards the consumer super zooms like the Canon S2 and Panasonic FZ 30, except now you get much more weight and bulk.

There's just something *wrong* about how Canon's images look now. They are getting whipped in this area.
Hmm, apparently its something even cheap IS zooms can eliminate then? Never had a problem hand-holding my 7D with long lenses (af thats a whole notha problem). I have a couple newbie friends with D3200's and getting super sharp shots with afs55-200 lenses... all of this on a *gasp* 24 mp sensor. Yeah - 24mp is nothing to be afraid of, seriously. I jumped from 1ds2 to a 5d3 and the real-world resolutions difference is negligible, and the increase in 'blurry' shots have been zilch.
__________________
1Ds Mk 2 / 5D Mk 3 | 17-40L | 24-105L | 35L | 50/1.4 | 85/1.8 | 100L | 70-200L Mk 2 | 580 EXII x 2
GH2 | 14-140 | 20/1.7
Elinchrom Quadra A's
jthomps123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th of June 2012 (Fri)   #29
david8476
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: urasoe city
Posts: 54
Default Re: T4i sensor vs. Nikon D7000/D3200

Hogloff: They didn't really improve the sensors in their flagship cameras ( 5D3 and 1DX ), I don't see them improving on the sensor in their lower entry level cameras.

What is your point? That the sensor of the T4i is the same as that of T3i or 60D? Is this based on actual test results or presumptions? Please show me the test/performance results for the T4i sensor.
david8476 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th of June 2012 (Fri)   #30
Hogloff
User is banned from forums
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: British Columbia
Posts: 6,401
Default Re: T4i sensor vs. Nikon D7000/D3200

Quote:
Originally Posted by david8476 View Post
Hogloff: They didn't really improve the sensors in their flagship cameras ( 5D3 and 1DX ), I don't see them improving on the sensor in their lower entry level cameras.

What is your point? That the sensor of the T4i is the same as that of T3i or 60D? Is this based on actual test results or presumptions? Please show me the test/performance results for the T4i sensor.
I just said they made no attempts to improve the sensors in their flagship cameras, why would they spend their sensor R&D on entry level cameras. Just using logic and my years of watching the way Canon works.
Hogloff is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Nikon D3200 DarthVader Camera Rumors and Predictions 26 29th of April 2012 (Sun) 14:38
Thinking of picking up a Nikon D3200 with kit lens ... Northern Eagle General Photography Talk 15 25th of April 2012 (Wed) 11:23


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:00.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.12
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
This forum is not affiliated with Canon in any way and is run as a free user helpsite by Pekka Saarinen, Helsinki Finland. You will need to register in order to be able to post messages. Cookies are required for registering and posting. HTML in messages is not allowed, plain website addresses are automatically made active by the board.