Canon Digital Photography Forums  

Go Back   Canon Digital Photography Forums > 'Sharing Knowhow' section > Photography Industry News
Register Rules FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 8th of June 2012 (Fri)   #16
mpix345
Goldmember

Default Re: Canon announces T4i / 650D!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Deep View Post
I'm not quite sure what your point is, other than to be argumentative.

Touch screens are miserable interfaces outside of a very few select devices, and even then they're more for aesthetics than anything else.

Swivel screens brought something to the party. Touch screens are bringing something too, but it's spiked and may leave you in a coma.
My point is that posts whining about Canon adding new tech to DSLRs are just old, tired and annoying.

I am not especially fond of touch screens, and probably would not use it much if I owned a T4i. But that's just me. Lots of people (younger ones, especially, it seems) consider a touch screen to be standard on most any device or gadget.

Plus, it can actually be useful for choosing a focus point. Not saying a pro sports shooter would use that, but it could have some benefit for some people. And even if it is not, it probably won't "ruin everything".
mpix345 is offline   Reply With Quote
This ad block will go away when you log in as member
Old 8th of June 2012 (Fri)   #17
Mike Deep

From this point forward I will strive to focus all criticism on old tech that was previously added to DSLRs.

[ 1D Mk III | 1D Mk II | 30D ] [ Sigma 8-16 | Sigma 24-60/2.8 | 70-200/2.8L | 100-400L ] [ Rokinon 14/2.8 | Zuiko 24/2.8 | Pentax 50/1.4 | Vivitar S1 90/2.5 ] [ Arca-Swiss B1 | GT1541T | 700DX | Tiltall 4602 ]
Mike Deep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th of June 2012 (Fri)   #18
jthomps123

Any word on the video performance of this sensor? Will the Digic5 do away with moire/aliasing of the 7d/60d and give it outstanding hi-iso performance like the 5d3 has? I sure do hope so, then it will find a spot in my case.
jthomps123 is offline   Reply With Quote
This ad block will go away when you log in as member
Old 8th of June 2012 (Fri)   #19
Luckypenguin

I still a bit unsure as to how good the touchscreen focus point selection and shutter release is going to be without a fast contrast detect AF system and a range of compatible lenses. We'll have to see how good the sensor based PDAF is, I guess. At least it seems to be a capacitive (touch, not pressure sensitive) screen.If it's like the Olympus E-P3 and E-M5 where you point ANYWHERE on the screen and the camera focuses and releases the shutter quickly it will be great, albeit I suspect it will also be more difficult to do the same action with a larger, heavier camera.

G1X (last Canon standing)
Luckypenguin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th of June 2012 (Sat)   #20
elitejp

I think having a touch screen just to go through the menus would be a nice addition and could very well speed up the process. But like others have already stated the biggest impact this addition will have will be the amount of threads started complaining about a touch screen. Just like everyone complained about how they hated the swivel screen and was just something else to break.
Old 9th of June 2012 (Sat)   #21
RobDickinson
Goldmember

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Deep View Post
So it's finally happened. Touch screens have invaded the DSLR.
You realise phase one IQ backs have great touch screen interfaces right? Those 80mp $10,000's of dollar pieces of kit?
Old 9th of June 2012 (Sat)   #22
RobDickinson
Goldmember

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckypenguin View Post
I still a bit unsure as to how good the touchscreen focus point selection and shutter release is going to be without a fast contrast detect AF system and a range of compatible lenses. We'll have to see how good the sensor based PDAF is, I guess. At least it seems to be a capacitive (touch, not pressure sensitive) screen.If it's like the Olympus E-P3 and E-M5 where you point ANYWHERE on the screen and the camera focuses and releases the shutter quickly it will be great, albeit I suspect it will also be more difficult to do the same action with a larger, heavier camera.
Touch screen focusing and the on sensor phase af is just for video I think?
Old 9th of June 2012 (Sat)   #23
gaiaswill

Default Image review will be so much less painful

Seriously, pinch to zoom and swipe to advance images would make reviewing images on LCD and double checking focus sooooo much easier.

Likewise, tripod users using Live View just got a big boost in usability. Seriously, using an arrow pad to zoom in is painful and slow.

And if you don't like it, disable it in custom function. So difficult.
gaiaswill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th of June 2012 (Sat)   #24
Keema

450D user here..

The Touchscreen doesn't not bother me, I just hope there is an option to turn it off.

I think from the 450D, this one has a major upgrade specially on the focus points, now all cross type.

plus with the ISO not anymore up to 1600, im coming from 450D. And with the DigicV, I think, there

will be an improvement on noise handling.

I've used a 550D before and i didn't like the noise handling as well.
Keema is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th of June 2012 (Sat)   #25
gaiaswill

Rest assured friend, touchscreen use is optional (bottom image).
gaiaswill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th of June 2012 (Sat)   #26
DarthVader
Cream of the Crop

Touchscreen yayyyyy ... me like it!. Touch Shutter reminds me of Olympus E-Px.

Gear is important but skills are very important .

Last edited by DarthVader : 9th of June 2012 (Sat) at 04:41.
DarthVader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th of June 2012 (Sat)   #27
Careyst

Quote:
Originally Posted by themadman View Post
How about 3.7 FPS vs 5FPS and 1 cross type vs 9 cross types?
Since my T3i is almost brand new, what would be the best way for me to sell it to get the most value back for it?

Canon EOS 5D Mark II Gripped |EF 70-200mm f/4L USM |Rokinon 14mm f/2.8]|EF 50mm f/1.4 USM | Sigma 35mm f/1.4 Art
Careyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th of June 2012 (Sat)   #28
stink tooth

I have a E-M5 and the only thing I like and use the touch screen for is swipe to advance or reverse though images. While the touch to fire is a "neat feature" I am not really a fan, and dont use it, its been turned off since about an hour after I got it. While a touch screen can have a place on DSLR it should be more of a limited enhancement role as a user interface, not a "KEY selling" feature, at least IMO anyway.
stink tooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th of June 2012 (Sat)   #29
woos
Goldmember

Here's a thought for something that'd make a touch screen and contrast detect AF potentially more useful. A depth-of-field auto mode where you touch two different points on the screen and the camera calculates the optimum aperture and focus distance to get them both sharp. shrug.
Old 9th of June 2012 (Sat)   #30
boerewors

this camera is basically a 60D and even cost the same price if not more! so the reason for buying a rebel / xxxD has been lost. the only thing that seperates the 60D now is the top LCD which is one feature i can not live without. whatever anyone says, nothing is faster than the dials for the top LCD screen. but since the 650D has no top LCD, i think the touch screen will speed things up.
if this is where the rebel range is moving then i dont see where it is going? too expensive for the casual photographer and lacking the top LCD for anyone who is serious. the only option now for previous rebel users is the 1100D.
with that said, is there any news on that 18Mp sensor? is it new tech or just the same old sensor thats been boosted by the digic 5?