Canon Digital Photography Forums  

Go Back   Canon Digital Photography Forums > 'Equipment Talk' section > Small Compact Digitals by Canon
Register Rules FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 7th of June 2012 (Thu)   #1
imsir

Default Total beginner - digital camera to $200

Hi.

I am buying new digital camera. I would like to ask what is best buy(price/performance) digital camera that offers:

- 1080p video recording
- supports sdxc memory card
- at least 10megapixel
- at least 10x optical zoom

Is there any on market to $200?

I am not professional, I am going to California trip in few months and would like to use it.

I was looking at this: Canon IXUS 115HS and video looks very good:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-VzFAYiiX7s

But It has only 4x optical zoom for pictures :P

Please give me an advice, I am total noob.

PS: What should I look when I am buying digital camera? What technical information?
PS2: As I said I am total beginner, do I have to look if camera supports depth of field, or does all new models support it(auto-focus and manual focus)?

Thank you!
Rolando Hilton
imsir is offline   Reply With Quote
This ad block will go away when you log in as member
Old 7th of June 2012 (Thu)   #2
eyalg

Default Re: Total beginner - digital camera to $200

There are few cameras which could fit your requirements -

The two compact zooms - the Canon SX230 from last year and the Panasonic ZS15 from this year,
both cost just above $200 (if you go for the pink SX230 on Amazon you can get it for $199).
Both of them have a large zoom (x14 and x16 respectively) in compact bodies.
The ZS15 wins by a sslight margin, unless you must have stereo sound recording - then it's the SX230.

Another option close to the Ixus 115 you like is the ELPH 310 (Ixus 230) which has a x8 zoom
in a slim body and not too shabby image quality, as well as 1080p video with stereo sound.
However, that's also just over $200.

So, if your budget is strictly under $200, your likely option would be the Panasonic SZ7,
with a slim body as the ELPH 310, a wide angle 25mm lens, x10 zoom and 1080p video.

-eyalg
Old 7th of June 2012 (Thu)   #3
tomd
Cream of the Crop

If you are considering a 'used' camera, you might find a Canon G10 that meets your needs. I'm not sure if the G10 supports your specified sdxc card?
This ad block will go away when you log in as member
Old 7th of June 2012 (Thu)   #4
tmwag
Brown Noser has crush on Suzyview

I recently purchased a Canon 300HS with case and 4G SanDisk card for $150 USD. Easy camera to use and has nice zoom range and IQ for the price.
tmwag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th of June 2012 (Fri)   #5
Jon

Cocker Spaniel Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomd View Post
If you are considering a 'used' camera, you might find a Canon G10 that meets your needs. I'm not sure if the G10 supports your specified sdxc card?
It doesn't, nor does it support HD video (1080p). I will point out, however, that regardless of the card size, Canon's PowerShot line doesn't support video files of more than 4 GB, which is typically around 15-20 min at 1080p. It'll also stop at 1/2 hr., even if the 4 GB limit's not reached. So unless you want to shoot a whole lot of video (where a dedicated digital video camera would make more sense as they use a more efficient video format, allowing longer shoots and smaller files), the SDHC 32 GB card size should be ample.
T90 and stuff | F-1n, New F-1, FTb and more stuff out on loan
Cocker Spaniels
Maryland and Virginia activities

Image Posting Rules
and Image Posting FAQ
Report SPAM, Don't Answer It! (link)
PERSONAL MESSAGING REGARDING SELLING OR BUYING ITEMS WITH MEMBERS WHO HAVE NO POSTS IN FORUMS AND/OR WHO YOU DO NOT KNOW FROM FORUMS IS HEREBY DECLARED STRICTLY STUPID AND YOU WILL GET BURNED.
Jon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th of June 2012 (Sat)   #6
imsir

I really appreciate your help.

I got good bargain from my friend and will probably just buy DSLR(t2i) so I can start with my training in video and photo(will need it anways).
imsir is offline   Reply With Quote