Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting
Thread started 15 Jun 2012 (Friday) 14:14
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

I have 2 Question about the new Canon 600exRT flashes

Dustman
745 posts
Joined Mar 2010
Peru & New Jersey
Jun 15, 2012 14:14 |  #1

One, does it work with the Canon CP-E4 Compact Battery Pack, or is there a new pack we have to buy?

And Two, does anyone know if it can transmit the original IR optical signal while simutanously emiting the new RF signal??

Lets say I buy 2 600ex's, and I want to use them with an existing 580exII. I put one of the 600's in the hotshoe as a master, I place the 580exII as a slave that is well within range to fire via the IR signal, can I then place the second 600 somewhere out of sight if I need be, and have it triggered with the RF??

I hope I didn't sound too confusing and someone can help me out. I was looking to add another flash, then one of my 580exII's broke and now I am looking to add 2 new flashes. Thanks for all your help in advance, appreciated as always.

www.DustinLevine.comexternal link

sponsored links
The ­ Fox
Goldmember
1,709 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Jul 2007
Huntington Beach, Ca
Jun 15, 2012 14:21 |  #2

The battery works just fine with no issues at all.

I am not sure but I would assume no because of a lot of the issues that go along with IR and RF together would be really hard to manage them all together.

Nick

"I work from awkwardness. By that I mean I don't arrange things. If I stand in front of something, instead of arranging it, I arrange myself" -Diane Arbus
7D Gripped x2 | 50D Gripped | 17-50mm F2.8 | 35mm F1.4 | 50mm F1.4 | 85mm F1.8 | 70-200mm F4L IS |

drvnbysound
Goldmember
3,316 posts
Joined Aug 2009
Jun 15, 2012 14:55 |  #3

I don't have a 600EX-RT, but from many reviews and comments that I have read, it cannot simultaneously do IR and RF - it's one or the other.

I use manual exposure settings on the copy machine
..::Gear Listing::.. --==Feedback==--
...A few umbrella brackets I own...

agv8or
Goldmember
Joined Oct 2006
Midwest
Jun 15, 2012 18:45 |  #4

It only does either Wireless RT or Wireless Optical but not both at the same time. Once you use the new Wireless RT you'll sell your old Speedlites and buy more 600EX-RT's or an ST-E3-RT to control the ones you have. I have already set in my "Personal Functions list" to turn off the two "Optical" Wireless pages so that I do not have to scroll through them every time. Once you go Wireless RT you'll never go back.

Rand

Gear

Dustman
THREAD ­ STARTER
745 posts
Joined Mar 2010
Peru & New Jersey
Jun 15, 2012 21:01 |  #5

Thanks everyone for your input & help!

I have four 580exII's and use them with the radiopopper PX system right now, so I am able to control my slaves right from my camera, with a range of 1,500ft!..............​.I would love to sell all of it and replace it with these new 600ex's, but it will cost me almost $1,000 to do this. So I was thinking to gradually do it over time, sell a 580ex & buy a new 600 every few months or so until the swap is complete.

I am happy with what I have now, it works for me, but I know I would be alot happier having one less piece of equiptment to carry, worry about, and have batterys for.

drvnbysound
Goldmember
3,316 posts
Joined Aug 2009
Jun 15, 2012 21:10 |  #6

Dustman wrote in post #14585630external link
Thanks everyone for your input & help!

I have four 580exII's and use them with the radiopopper PX system right now, so I am able to control my slaves right from my camera, with a range of 1,500ft!..............​.I would love to sell all of it and replace it with these new 600ex's, but it will cost me almost $1,000 to do this. So I was thinking to gradually do it over time, sell a 580ex & buy a new 600 every few months or so until the swap is complete.

I am happy with what I have now, it works for me, but I know I would be alot happier having one less piece of equiptment to carry, worry about, and have batterys for.

That's where I am now as well ;)

Dustman
THREAD ­ STARTER
745 posts
Joined Mar 2010
Peru & New Jersey
Jun 15, 2012 21:23 |  #7

drvnbysound wrote in post #14585661external link
That's where I am now as well ;)

What to do, what to do.......For the cost to sell off what I have to buy the new system, I could upgrade my camera, or buy a new piece of glass........Is something more convient worth the price?

gtrag94
272 posts
Joined Aug 2011
Fort Wayne, IN
Jun 15, 2012 22:03 |  #8

another question... it seemed like from what I read is that you can't use the RT part if unless you have a 1Dx or 5D3. Is that right? Can you use the 600EX-RTs with one on camera or an ST-E3 if you have an older camera?

Fort Wayne, IN Portrait & Wedding Photographer
http://www.craigagapie​photography.comexternal link
http://www.facebook.co​m/CraigAgapiePhotograp​hyexternal link

drvnbysound
Goldmember
3,316 posts
Joined Aug 2009
Jun 15, 2012 22:18 |  #9

gtrag94 wrote in post #14585906external link
another question... it seemed like from what I read is that you can't use the RT part if unless you have a 1Dx or 5D3. Is that right? Can you use the 600EX-RTs with one on camera or an ST-E3 if you have an older camera?

I have read/confirmed by others that the 600EX-RTs will work with pre-2012 bodies, but there are a few features that are not available... such as the new ability to control 5 groups and/or any new features that were introduced with the new 'Groups' feature(s). I have been told that the same capability that is available with 580EXII setup is also available with the 600EX-RT, but that it would add the radio capability as well.

So if you are comfortable with the optical system and the in-camera control it provides, but want to rid yourself of 3rd party radio triggers the 600EX-RT will do that.... from what I've read here.

sponsored links

2,283 views & 0 likes for this thread
I have 2 Question about the new Canon 600exRT flashes
FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.