FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Weddings & Other Family Events Talk
Thread started 18 Jun 2012 (Monday) 15:12   
LIST NEARBY THREADS

mav496
Joined May 2008
190 posts
England
[MORE/SHARE]

So, I helped my friend out at a wedding for him, doing 2nd shooter stuff as well as some group shots and romantics...

The bride and groom chose to have my friends package of edited photos on disc... (no worries so far...)

I told them as I was helping my friend out, would they mind me using MY shots on my website/FB page with my interpretation of their day..? (again, B&G say no worries)

This weekend my friend gives the B&G their photos on disc and they're chuffed to bits with them! He's then said I can go ahead and post my pics/edits on FB and my website now they have their disc (feel it was rude to post them on my site until the B&G get the "official" photos!)

Well my edited pics consisted of me doing a complete Black & White conversion on all the photos I took. IMO, they came out great and I really liked what I did to them....

This evening the Bride has contacted me saying she's seen my photos of the wedding, in B&W, and would like a disc of High Resolution photos to print at their expense!
Now i'm chuffed to bits she loves my conversions etc, but what sort of price do I charge for this? I don't want to be extortionate as I wasn't the Main shooter, but I also don't want to go too low.... I haven't told my friend yet as I think it could insult him.... ??

I edited 110 photos....

Hope you can help, and thanks for reading the essay!

Mav

Post #1, Jun 18, 2012 15:12:43

My Gear... 5DMK2 Gripped, 400D Gripped, 24-105mmL, 10-20mm, 100-400mmL, 28-105USM, 50mm 1.8, 580EXII
Bowens Gemini 400 Studio Lights & Bowens umbrellas and Softboxes....

sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)
tnis0612
Joined Oct 2011
231 posts
Virginia, USA
[MORE/SHARE]

Someone else i'm sure will comment on legally what you can/should do..but in my opinion you need to tell your friend and work something out with him assuming you didnt have a contract with him for your 2nd shooting job. If your friend says it's fine to charge whatever you want then you can go from there, but I think your first step needs to be to discuss with your friend. You're right, it may insult him, but that's not really your problem. He will likely be more upset if you are selling photos behind his back of shots that he setup and a job that he was hired for.

Post #2, Jun 18, 2012 15:31:23

5d Mark II, 7D
17-40L, 35L, 50L, 85 1.8, 70-200 2.8L IS II
www.stevenandlilyphoto​graphy.comexternal link

nicksan
Man I Like to Fart
Joined Oct 2006
24,585 posts
NYC
[MORE/SHARE]

I agree. I would discuss with your friend first.

Post #3, Jun 18, 2012 15:39:04

NYC Wedding Photographerexternal link | Blogexternal link | facebookexternal link | Flickrexternal link | Gear

bigarchi
Joined Mar 2008
962 posts
upstate ny
[MORE/SHARE]

hands down, these guys are 100% right.

Post #4, Jun 18, 2012 15:41:24

~Mitch

my gear and feedback

scorpio_e
Cream of the Crop
Joined Aug 2007
6,557 posts
Pa
[MORE/SHARE]

What was your contract with the main photographer? If you are not working with a contract, you should call him.

Post #5, Jun 18, 2012 15:41:34

http://steelcityphotog​raphy.zenfolio.com/external link

sponsored links
btmlinedan
Goldmember
Joined Apr 2009
1,556 posts
ohio
[MORE/SHARE]

if it were me, and ok with the main shooter, i'd hand them a disc with a smile.

"if you ever need any other photographery work, please don't hesitate to ask us!"

boom.

Post #6, Jun 18, 2012 16:07:02

*dan l *Flickrexternal link l *cars: dkfx Photographyexternal link l weddings: Blue Martini Photographyexternal link l YN622C tranceiver reviewexternal link

nicksan
Man I Like to Fart
Joined Oct 2006
24,585 posts
NYC
[MORE/SHARE]

btmlinedan wrote in post #14597132external link
if it were me, and ok with the main shooter, i'd hand them a disc with a smile.

"if you ever need any other photographery work, please don't hesitate to ask us!"

boom.

Yeah, but then aren't you stepping on your friend's turf?

I would definitely check with the friend to make sure it's OK to make money off of what was essentially his gig and his client.

Post #7, Jun 18, 2012 16:12:27

NYC Wedding Photographerexternal link | Blogexternal link | facebookexternal link | Flickrexternal link | Gear

Tony_Stark
Goldmember
Joined May 2010
4,035 posts
Toronto, Canada
[MORE/SHARE]

nicksan wrote in post #14597158external link
Yeah, but then aren't you stepping on your friend's turf?

I would definitely check with the friend to make sure it's OK to make money off of what was essentially his gig and his client.

Of course. IMO this whole situation can get out of hand real fast, especially in the whole paradigm of doing business with friends. Slippery slope here. For the next event you shoot, you have to clearly iron out who edits all the photos, and if another situation arises such as this again, what will be done about it. I know in some cases, second shooters gives all their shots to the main shooter, and he is then responsible for delivering them to client etc.

While you did help out and were second shooter, the client did specifically ask for your shots. I think if compensation is given that the main shooter should get some money as well.

Im just throwing out ideas, not 100% sure how to deal with a wedding, much less a situation like this.

Post #8, Jun 18, 2012 16:23:36

Canon 6D | 17-40L | 50L
EOS M | 22 f/2 STM

Websiteexternal link | flickrexternal link | Facebook

LBaldwin
Goldmember
Joined Mar 2006
4,490 posts
San Jose,CA
[MORE/SHARE]

As you say you were the second shooter, if that's true then the images belong to the primary photographer. Along with that thinking, you need to check with him first, to see if he wants to charge her for those images.

That would be the honorable thing to do, since you had no contract with her. In the future, make sure these things are ironed out prior to you starting to shoot weddings portraits etc.

Post #9, Jun 18, 2012 16:25:05

Les Baldwin
http://www.fotosfx.comexternal link

mav496
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined May 2008
190 posts
England
[MORE/SHARE]

Thanks all for the comments, I'll think i'll have chat with my friend and see what he says....

LBaldwin & Others....

Am I not right in saying then, that even though I was a second shooter, the copyright/images would belong to me as I was the one behind the camera shooting???

Post #10, Jun 18, 2012 16:44:59 as a reply to LBaldwin's post 19 minutes earlier.

My Gear... 5DMK2 Gripped, 400D Gripped, 24-105mmL, 10-20mm, 100-400mmL, 28-105USM, 50mm 1.8, 580EXII
Bowens Gemini 400 Studio Lights & Bowens umbrellas and Softboxes....

bnlearle
Goldmember
Joined Aug 2006
1,897 posts
San Diego
[MORE/SHARE]

There's some sort of unwritten codes in wedding photography. Probably at the very top of the list would be that you do not ever mess with your friends' clients when you're helping your friends. If I got an email asking for my photos, I would simply let them know that I was only helping the photographer and that they can get everything they need through the main photographer.

Post #11, Jun 18, 2012 17:21:00

twitterexternal link // facebookexternal link
Websiteexternal link
San Diego Wedding Photographer blogexternal link

sponsored links
tim
Light Bringer
Joined Nov 2004
49,505 posts
Wellington, New Zealand
[MORE/SHARE]

You were working for your friend, and they already paid him. He should already have all the high resolution photos, and he should've supplied them to the couple already.

Apologise, cut off all contact, give the images to your friend no charge, and make sure you have written permission to use the images for your own marketing. Your real win was experience.

Post #12, Jun 18, 2012 17:49:01

NZIPP Qualified Professional wedding photographer.
Wellington Wedding Photographerexternal link ~ Camera and Lens Reviewsexternal link ~ Photographers Tech Supportexternal link
Read all my FAQs (wedding, printing, lighting, books, etc)

bnlearle
Goldmember
Joined Aug 2006
1,897 posts
San Diego
[MORE/SHARE]

tim wrote in post #14597572external link
Your real win was experience.

Bingo.

Post #13, Jun 18, 2012 22:07:24

twitterexternal link // facebookexternal link
Websiteexternal link
San Diego Wedding Photographer blogexternal link

awad
Goldmember
Joined Mar 2005
1,067 posts
Philadelphia
[MORE/SHARE]

mav496 wrote in post #14597294external link
Thanks all for the comments, I'll think i'll have chat with my friend and see what he says....

LBaldwin & Others....

Am I not right in saying then, that even though I was a second shooter, the copyright/images would belong to me as I was the one behind the camera shooting???

the images usually belong to the main photographer. you're working for them. You might able to use the images for your blog or portfolio, but usually those images belong to the main photographer.

Post #14, Jun 19, 2012 18:54:55

http://www.redfieldpho​to.comexternal link
http://www.theredfield​blog.comexternal link

LBaldwin
Goldmember
Joined Mar 2006
4,490 posts
San Jose,CA
[MORE/SHARE]

If you were ORIGINALLY there to assist your friend, not create images for your own income, then they belong to your friend. He should have rec'd them from you and included them into the first presentation to the couple.

You would not be at the wedding otherwise. Yes the copyright may belong to you, but morally they should go to him.

Post #15, Jun 19, 2012 19:36:04

Les Baldwin
http://www.fotosfx.comexternal link

LIST NEARBY THREADS
934 views & 0 likes for this thread
Awkward predicament?
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Weddings & Other Family Events Talk

NOT A MEMBER YET? CLICK HERE TO REGISTER TO FORUMS

CHANGE BODY TEXT SIZE FOR ALL THREAD PAGES