LIST NEARBY THREADS

Immaculens
Cream of the Crop
Joined Jul 2009
7,185 posts
Southern Canada
[MORE/SHARE]

Night-sky newbie here!

I attached my nifty-fifty the other night and took various 35 second exposures, typically at f/2.2, ISO400 - bulb - remote shutter release

But in Live View using manual focus (10x) I was unable to get the focus I wanted - I had it turned all the way... to infinity I guess - and it seemed like it could have been sharper yet

If anyone else has done shots with their 50mm f/1.8 please share your successful settings... I imagine I was getting star-trails after about 8 seconds or less. 40 secs certainly showed the beginnings of trails.

I guess I will go back to using my 15-85mm - likely at 15mm f/3.5

Thanks for any tips. A processed shot with the above (top) settings is attached

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos.

Post #1, Jun 12, 2012 00:57:57

| immaculens.comexternal link | ~ Will ~ | 70D | 70-300L | Etc, etc...

Learn to Love to Do Well - and You Shall ~ C. Poisidon

sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)
the ­ jimmy
Goldmember
Joined Dec 2009
1,351 posts
west coast of Florida
[MORE/SHARE]

Immaculens wrote in post #14566579external link
Night-sky newbie here!

But in Live View using manual focus (10x) I was unable to get the focus I wanted - I had it turned all the way... to infinity I guess - and it seemed like it could have been sharper yet

Focusing all the way to infinity is to far, you'll need to back off ever so slightly

Post #2, Jun 12, 2012 20:18:07

Immaculens
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
Joined Jul 2009
7,185 posts
Southern Canada
[MORE/SHARE]

hmmm... strange - I was trying to make the star - during manual focus - as small as I could and it seemed it was in the process of getting small but then I could not turn it further...

also - is it recommended I use my 50mm over the 15mm?

less exposure time...

Post #3, Jun 12, 2012 21:10:59 as a reply to the jimmy's post 52 minutes earlier.

James33
Joined Jan 2009
464 posts
Memphis, TN
[MORE/SHARE]

Your exposure time is too long using a 50mm lens on a crop body camera, unless you are using a tracking mount. It's causing the stars to start to "trail" due to the earth's movement.

Go back to your 15mm, start at 30 sec exposure max, use f/3.5 and ISO 1600/3200 if you can swing it. And what I do for focus is use manual focus in daylight and focus on infinity. Once you find the spot you can mark it on your lens so you don't have to hunt for it.

Hope this helps

Post #4, Jun 20, 2012 15:29:02

www.jamesparkerphoto.c​omexternal link

Immaculens
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
Joined Jul 2009
7,185 posts
Southern Canada
[MORE/SHARE]

James33 wrote in post #14607480external link
Your exposure time is too long using a 50mm lens on a crop body camera, unless you are using a tracking mount. It's causing the stars to start to "trail" due to the earth's movement.

Go back to your 15mm, start at 30 sec exposure max, use f/3.5 and ISO 1600/3200 if you can swing it. And what I do for focus is use manual focus in daylight and focus on infinity. Once you find the spot you can mark it on your lens so you don't have to hunt for it.

Hope this helps

Thanks - yes - the exposure on the 50 was way too long - considering that for 15mm it should not be past 22 seconds :D

I'll be selling my rarely used but excellent 15-85mm and getting other toys like the G12 (got it already), new 40mm STM (selling the 50), and its hard to believe I'm writing this - the 18-55 IS... :eek: But, that will give me 18mm for the rare times I use it...

Thanks for the reply - cheers ~

Post #5, Jun 20, 2012 15:41:05

sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)
Nature ­ Nut
Goldmember
Joined May 2012
1,366 posts
NY
[MORE/SHARE]

When I have used my nifty fifty for some night shots, I focus to infinity then back off a hair.Some, if not most, lenses today will allow you to go just past the infinity mark by hair. I found I prefer using a wide angle lens better for the most part though.

Post #6, Jun 20, 2012 15:43:33

Adam - Upstate NY:

Immaculens
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
Joined Jul 2009
7,185 posts
Southern Canada
[MORE/SHARE]

wide would be my preference also - I was just surprised I could not manually focus on stars with my copy of the 50...

Post #7, Jun 20, 2012 15:57:17 as a reply to Nature Nut's post 13 minutes earlier.

A.S.I.G.N. ­ Observatory
Goldmember
Joined Aug 2008
1,850 posts
Canberra, Australia
[MORE/SHARE]

Immaculens wrote in post #14566579external link
1. I had it turned all the way... to infinity I guess - and it seemed like it could have been sharper yet

2. I guess I will go back to using my 15-85mm - likely at 15mm f/3.5

1. Every lens has it's sweet spot. It is usually just back a fraction from infinity and it's something you have to, feel" for rather than a set place.

2. Correct. That would be MUCH better.

The longer you go in focal length, the shorter your exposures will have to be to avoid star trails. Otherwise, get a mount that tracks.

Baz.

Post #8, Jun 22, 2012 22:48:08

Australian Wildlife Photographer
BA Photographyexternal link
ASIGN Observatory IIexternal link

LIST NEARBY THREADS
3,070 views & 0 likes for this thread
Advice/Tips please: 50mm f/1.8
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Astronomy & Celestial Talk

NOT A MEMBER YET? CLICK HERE TO REGISTER TO FORUMS

CHANGE BODY TEXT SIZE FOR ALL THREAD PAGES