Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing
Thread started 19 Jun 2012 (Tuesday) 15:56
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Photoshop CS5 Pen Tool

The ­ Fox
Goldmember
1,709 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Jul 2007
Huntington Beach, Ca
Jun 19, 2012 15:56 |  #1

I use the pen tool more then almost any as all images need to have a clipping path and are all products so it is easy. But sometimes I get the issues where the pen tool gets stuck in "Add to Path Area (+)" instead of the normal "Exclude overlapping path area". It will get stuck in that randomly and will not let me change it in the tool. If I go to the path selection tool it lets me change it there but the pen tool still remains stuck. It is kind of annoying to have half the path be what I want and the other half be added so when I remove the background all the holes in the center that I have are still filled. If I change to the ellipse tool it will go back to exclude and work for a while then go back again on another image. It is really beginning to get to me fast. Anyone else having this issue or know how to fix it? I am using it on Snow Lepoard 10.6.8 with the last version of photoshop(though it has been doing this since I got this mac 2 years ago). Intel Core 2 Duo 3.06ghz, 16gb ram and NVIDIA GeForce 9400 256mb GPU. Nothing too special but it does not happen on my PC, only mac and it is really irritating.

Nick

"I work from awkwardness. By that I mean I don't arrange things. If I stand in front of something, instead of arranging it, I arrange myself" -Diane Arbus
7D Gripped x2 | 50D Gripped | 17-50mm F2.8 | 35mm F1.4 | 50mm F1.4 | 85mm F1.8 | 70-200mm F4L IS |

sponsored links
The ­ Fox
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,709 posts
Joined Jul 2007
Huntington Beach, Ca
Jun 21, 2012 15:58 |  #2

No idea?

Nick

"I work from awkwardness. By that I mean I don't arrange things. If I stand in front of something, instead of arranging it, I arrange myself" -Diane Arbus
7D Gripped x2 | 50D Gripped | 17-50mm F2.8 | 35mm F1.4 | 50mm F1.4 | 85mm F1.8 | 70-200mm F4L IS |

tonylong
...winded
54,592 posts
Gallery: 55 photos
Joined Sep 2007
Vancouver, WA USA
Jun 21, 2012 16:22 |  #3

No idea -- there are so many random "quirks" that pop up with the different systems and the many different apps, you may be one in a million who are experiencing this problem!

Since this is specifically happening with a Mac and not a PC, you may need to narrow down your search, try a Mac forum and the Photoshop forum for your particular problem?

Tony
Two Canon cameras (5DC, 30D), three Canon lenses (24-105, 100-400, 100mm macro)
Tony Long Photos on PBaseexternal link
Wildlife project pics hereexternal link, Biking Photog shoots hereexternal link, "Suburbia" project hereexternal link! Mount St. Helens, Mount Hood pics hereexternal link

The ­ Fox
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,709 posts
Joined Jul 2007
Huntington Beach, Ca
Jun 22, 2012 10:32 |  #4

I tried adobe's forum with no reply and thus why I posted it here. I am just going to give up on apple products for my work. It get so many issues and it is just too hard to work having to fight the OS.

Nick

René ­ Damkot
Cream of the Crop
39,856 posts
Joined Feb 2005
enschede, netherlands
Jun 23, 2012 10:45 |  #5

Never seen the problem on either my CS4 or CS6, and don't think I ever saw it at work, using CS5.

So, you're saying these buttons don't work?

IMAGE: https://img.skitch.com/20120623-p18yxbtgjcjq71g19af7pwish6.jpg

There are shortcuts for "add to path area" and "subtract from path area" (+ and -). Sure you're not hitting those?

"I think the idea of art kills creativity" - Douglas Adams
Why Color Management.
Color Problems? Click here.
MySpaceexternal link
Get Colormanagedexternal link
Twitterexternal link
PERSONAL MESSAGING REGARDING SELLING OR BUYING ITEMS WITH MEMBERS WHO HAVE NO POSTS IN FORUMS AND/OR WHO YOU DO NOT KNOW FROM FORUMS IS HEREBY DECLARED STRICTLY STUPID AND YOU WILL GET BURNED.

The ­ Fox
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,709 posts
Joined Jul 2007
Huntington Beach, Ca
Jun 24, 2012 16:09 |  #6

Those are it. I am not hitting them but they will get stuck in add to path instead of exclude. It is really a pain when I have 2000 images to path and want to get them done.

Nick

photophilth
329 posts
Joined Sep 2010
Jun 26, 2012 14:22 |  #7

only thing I can think of is that maybe the program automatically is doing it because it thinks you want it. ie. creating a mask automatically selects brush (sometimes not all the time, only in certain situations) or other times if working on a mask might automatically switch the image layer when applying certain things.

my point is, maybe you are doing something that is specifically making photoshop think the way it is?

sponsored links

1,274 views & 0 likes for this thread
Photoshop CS5 Pen Tool
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.