Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses
Thread started 28 Jun 2012 (Thursday) 11:21
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Another Lens Question

TraavLer
Hatchling
5 posts
Joined Jun 2012
Jun 28, 2012 11:21 |  #1

Hi, first-time poster here. I have a Canon Rebel Xsi. I broke my 18-55 zoom and am looking to replace it. It's not badly broken, the focus ring sticks, but I have figured out that I can un-stick it each time.

I travel frequently and most of my photos are architecture, wildlife and nature. I also have the 55-250 telephoto that came bundled with the camera.

I think I'd like to get a single zoom so I don't have to carry the extra lens. ....Although the two afford me several options and I have filters to fit them.

My question: Would it make sense to have the lens repaired or shall I sieze the opportunity to get a fancy new lens with a wide range? Which lens would be good?

Thank you.

sponsored links
amfoto1
Cream of the Crop
10,223 posts
Joined Aug 2007
San Jose, California
Jun 28, 2012 11:53 |  #2

Hi and welcome to POTN,

There are 18-200 and 18-270 lenses available, that might be convenient for travel... But often this type of "do everything" lens doesn't do any of it particularly well. You'll have to decide for yourself, if their image quality is up to your expectations and if any other compromises they make are acceptible.

A more reasonable range is the Canon 18-135mm that's often offered now as a kit lens. Nice range for a walkaround lens and mid-priced, but 135 often isn't enough reach for wildlife.

The problem is your favorite subjects. You really probably need two lenses minimum.... a wider one for landscape/architecture​... a telephoto for wildlife. "Nature" can be many things from scenic vistas to high magnification macros.

Cheapest solution, continue using the 55-250 (which is quite compact considering) replace the 18-55 (if it's the older non-IS version, the newer IS version is better optically anyway). But you are still "stuck" with two lenses (though, after all, that's the whole point of an interchangeable lens SLR camera... the ability to change lenses to best meet different situations).

The premium and pricier replacement would be the 17-55/2.8 IS.

If you found yourself coming up short on width with the 18mm, you might want wider and the 17-55 is only slightly. Canon 15-85 is a high quality, general purpose, reasonably compact but not cheap alternative that gives a bit wider angle of view.

Alan Myers "Walk softly and carry a big lens."
5DII, 7DII(x2), 7D(x2) & other cameras. 10-22mm, Tokina 12-24/4, 20/2.8, TS 24/3.5L, 24-70/2.8L, 28/1.8, 28-135 IS (x2), TS 45/2.8, 50/1.4, Tamron 60/2.0, 70-200/4L IS, 70-200/2.8 IS, 85/1.8, Tamron 90/2.5 Macro, 100/2.8 USM, 100-400L II, 135/2L, 180/3.5L, 300/4L IS (x2), 300/2.8L IS, 500/4L IS, EF 1.4X II, EF 2X II. Flashes, studio strobes & various access. - FLICKR (external link) - EXPOSUREMANAGER (external link)

TraavLer
THREAD ­ STARTER
Hatchling
5 posts
Joined Jun 2012
Jun 28, 2012 17:36 as a reply to amfoto1's post |  #3

Thank you very much for answering my question. I think you're right about sticking with the two lenses. They've served me well over the years. While I was looking for a replacement I came down with a case of "lens envy."

lancebroad
396 posts
Joined Jun 2009
Brisbane, AU
Jun 28, 2012 18:03 |  #4

3 bodies and two lenses?

I would sell a body (5DII) and get some nice glass that will serve you well into the future. I look at glass not as something that costs a fair bit, but if I need it and it fits my purposes well then its something I will buy. The cost over (x) amount of years works out to be pretty cheap if you stay with a particular setup.

You will never have one lens to cover all your focal length needs without some sort of loss or downside to it.

Canon 6D | Canon 7D | Canon 5D mkII | 14L MK II | 24-70L | 70-200 f/2.8L | 100-400L | 400L f/2.8 | Zenitor 15mm | 580EX II |
http://facebook.com/la​nceb.avgeekexternal link

DreDaze
happy with myself for not saying anything stupid
17,762 posts
Gallery: 19 photos
Joined Mar 2006
S.F. Bay Area
Jun 28, 2012 20:20 |  #5

lancebroad wrote in post #14645820external link
3 bodies and two lenses?

I would sell a body (5DII) and get some nice glass that will serve you well into the future. I look at glass not as something that costs a fair bit, but if I need it and it fits my purposes well then its something I will buy. The cost over (x) amount of years works out to be pretty cheap if you stay with a particular setup.

You will never have one lens to cover all your focal length needs without some sort of loss or downside to it.

i think you're reading the wrong signature :)

it may cost just as much to fix the lens as it would to replace it with a new one...it never hurts to send it in...depending on how much you've got to play with there are a few standard zooms that you can upgrade to

Andre or Dre
gear list
Instagram (external link)
flickr (external link)
my 366 for 2016 (external link)

Hphotograpy
139 posts
Joined Jun 2012
Indiana
Jun 28, 2012 22:04 |  #6

If I was you I'll go buy a better lens, but thats just me and by the way I am newbie too.

GEAR

S.Horton
I'm having size issues, does this get worse with age?
18,014 posts
Joined Dec 2006
Royersford, PA
Jun 28, 2012 22:14 |  #7

Welcome to POTN. Check the Tokina lenses in the wide range.

http://photography-on-the.net/forum/showthre​ad.php?t=160701

I owned one, and it was excellent for the money. I mention it because in that zoom range I tend to be wide.

In the range you're trying to replace, consider the Tamron, too.

http://photography-on-the.net/forum/showthre​ad.php?t=209580

Sam - TF Says Ishmael
http://midnightblue.sm​ugmug.comexternal link 
Want your title changed?Dream On!external link

:cool:

ickmcdon
323 posts
Joined Apr 2012
North Dakota
Jun 28, 2012 22:17 |  #8

Canon 15-85 is the ticket, and keep your 55-250.

lancebroad
396 posts
Joined Jun 2009
Brisbane, AU
Jun 29, 2012 06:42 |  #9

DreDaze wrote in post #14646394external link
i think you're reading the wrong signature :)

it may cost just as much to fix the lens as it would to replace it with a new one...it never hurts to send it in...depending on how much you've got to play with there are a few standard zooms that you can upgrade to

Ah i did too, thanks :o

Canon 6D | Canon 7D | Canon 5D mkII | 14L MK II | 24-70L | 70-200 f/2.8L | 100-400L | 400L f/2.8 | Zenitor 15mm | 580EX II |
http://facebook.com/la​nceb.avgeekexternal link

skycolt
410 posts
Joined Apr 2012
Jun 29, 2012 08:17 |  #10

tamron 18-270 pzd, that one is reasonably good. sigma has a new 18-250 macro, no idea how the IQ would be

1D IV | converted 1000D | ever changing lenses
Flickrexternal link

TraavLer
THREAD ­ STARTER
Hatchling
5 posts
Joined Jun 2012
Jun 30, 2012 11:07 as a reply to skycolt's post |  #11

Thanks everyone, I appreciate the help. One thinks they know plenty about cameras and photograpy, but when you come here, you realize there's a WHOLE lot of stuff you haven't even touched on. Yet. This is a great forum for learning.

sponsored links

1,153 views & 0 likes for this thread
Another Lens Question
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.